My Setup comments positive or neg !

Hi please view my solar chesse wedge design in Northern Spain, 1.6 kw array energy free for last 4 months will upgrade with 4 more identical panels by end of sept including 2 dog kennels and space for 2 gensets under panels, Im particulary proud of my solar combiners using ICE car componets very cheap and accomodate large wire sizes easily Project 80% complete conduit and bug protection still on agenda.

Comments good or bad welcomed please view at

View at http://energistar.com/phpBB2/album_personal.php?user_id=8

Comments

• nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Re: My Setup comments positive or neg !

PS I forgot to add, Ive got a acrylic see through sealed plastic roof in a pitch design over the batteries with a battery solar vent fron zephyr industries controlled by the inverter for gas extraction to be fitted.

Cant you tell Im a Home Power subscriber.....PS the unit below the LA arrestors on the DC dissconect is a fused conduit hidden Battery Desulphator BDS2 from Solar converters. I regulary get 45/50 amps at 24 volts from 2 C40 s between 12 and 3 in sunny Spain, In 2 weeks Im shipping a new Xw MPPt charge controller from an Xantrex distributor to boost solar performance !
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

looks as if you've got a nice little setup. i wonder where it is you'll put the additional 4 pvs. i don't think it a good idea to keep the generators in there as if anything goes wrong it could be devastating to the system minimumly and maximumly it could cost you your life.
  • nigtomdaw

The panls were going to fit on the side so it would be 3 wide 4 tall I was going to extend the shed base with 2 kenels and the gensets on top of the kennels (concrete roof/floor) the upper part would be not fully enclosed in but with your comments a fire from a genset can never be ruled out I could loose the lot..... Ill build a separate concrete bunker for the gennys thxs
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Nigel,

WOW, looks great. Few of us make such an effort on our power rooms. Really like the solar glazing for the room.

Would seem to me that if your building additions were as you described, and that the new construction was concrete/concrete blocks that it would be considered fireproof, especially if the fuel was a bit away from the structure. A separate bunker would be better if a generator caught fire, but the redundant structure is probably a bit less efficient use of materials. As you have mentioned before, your generators are diesel fueled, and diesel has a high flash-point. Does your generator have its fuel tank built into the generator base ?

The combiners look cool, do not recognize the components, but a very clean installation. It is very nice to have the solar array SSOOOOO close to the rest of the power system, and it looks as if you handle the thermal energy dumped into the building by the PV very well. Also, it is great to have a lotta thermal mass in the structure, which hlkps moderate the gain during sunny days. Also looks like the other structure in the background mostly/all concrete/stucco, teriffic construction for your sunny climes.

Thanks for sharing your approach to solar, we all can learn from the creativity of others. Thanks again, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, putting the generator on the other side of a wall is good just in case
    a relay or spark should ignite gas fumes.

SO, where is the cheeze ??? Did you participate in the bull run ??

boB
    Washington AC
  • nigtomdaw

Thanks Vic and Bob for your comments, re the Bull Run. Fiestas for the bulls arent far away but since Im not build 4 speed wont be bothering. As regards the building, when it was originally (5 months ago)built I only had the 8 PVs but have since bought another 4 secondhand from the guy who I got the new ones from , hence the proposed shed extension. So yes there will be a complete 6 inch concrete wall between solar shed and genset which was going to sit above kennels at the bottom of the extension. The 4 new panels whould not be enclosed fully as the original 8. It was just

A to mount new panels to existing shed, correct orientation/inclination
    B Provide for 2 kennels and shelter with the panels acting as a roof for 2 Large Japanese Akita Dogs
    C Allow me to put the genset off ground and above dogs for added security. The genset is a silent kipor 4.5kva diesel enclosed type, which hopefully will do less than 50 hours per year. To be completely safe I could put a firewall above the genny to protect the new panels above it.
  • nigtomdaw

Sorry Vic forgot to mention the Combiner Boxes, The units used to combine and insulate and fuse the arrays are items bought very cheaply from the In car entertainent market ...ICE... used by the youth of today with massive amps and sub woofers and heavey duty add ons in there customized cars. Because this is popular in UK I assume also in USA the prices on ebay are very good. The negative block was unfused and cost me $6 on ebay Uk and the Larger fused positive unit was about $20 each. But they have sleeved wire inserts and allen key clamping which allows large wires easy fixing and are all insolated units in a clear plastic mounting . Even the neg unit had rubber grommets to cover the allen grub screws . The green box is a diy store available electrical junction box. Each unit was made for about $35.