Links to important sources of information

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Let us try a simple thread/sticky. Very short posts with important links to sources of information. Will start with Photowhit's post.

-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tax Credits

Battery FAQs There are battery term glossary there, but I think there is a another glossary somewhere here...

Inverter Basics

Charge Controllers Basics .-.-..NAWS use to have one but it wasn't great but something.

Wind maps by State

Solar Isolation (How much sun do you get!) Not the best, there are several different

DC voltage drop calculator - I don't care for NAWS version, but perhaps theirs and another one

Energy Star Products

Basic Calculations - How much can I expect and Why - Great place for some of Bill's famous calculations!
    .......Grid Tied
    .......Off Grid

Without looking, some of the Sticky's could be formed into info links, not putting the load on you, but some of us might help. I recall a generator one...

I suspect you have others, on my old computer I had a solar 'favorites category so I could find these quickly since I always seemed to need to direct people to them.

Perhaps you could see where this would be useful? Maybe on the Today's Post New Posts Member List bar?

Sorry I had all the links, but wouldn't post so I copied to clip board....aaarrrrgggghhhhh!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    There is no point to doing this as it is redundant and no better organized than the original mishmash of disjointed links.

As for the various formuli used in designing ... I alone have written them dozens of times over and yet still no one reads. What is the point of having a central information source if no one ever examines it and everyone has to have it all repeated to them on an individual basis?

In a brief overview of recent posts I have notice quite a number of incorrect responses where the actual information could be found by a mere skimming of existing posts. I throw my hands up and cry in despair; "why bother?"
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    coot
    You and bill are my heros. You have shown ungodly patiants to dummys like me. The big thing is you guys are correct when you give help. I think we are all selfish and like personal attention and affermation of our actions. The old post are handy, but more so if you read them before and know they are there. I can know they are there and have looked and many times found it all most impossible to find them back. This site is active enough that unless you remember the exact title of the thread it just dissapears. It is much easier to ask again cause searching can take a whole day and be unsucsessful.

I know sometimes when I ask stuff that I can almost feel the rolling of eyes of those reading my questions. I usually know when one of you guys answer, good or bad, that I am on my way to where I need to go. I can't believe you guys have the patients to do as much as you have. I thank you for it though, cause I sure have abused your good will but also used a bunch of ideals that surly would have turned out worse without your help.
    Thanks
    gww

Ps I know the ideal of this thread is short and sweet and this post is out of line but I didn't know how to say it any other way, so after reading it, delete it if you want. and sorry if it causes more trouble.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Thank you GWW... I know that I am not perfect and make the occasional mistakes too. Anyway--For this thread, I will remove the sticky for now. Just use it for you guys (old and new) to try and create a post (or series of posts) that are organized and make sense/useful for you guys.

-Bill "not as easy as it sounds" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no point to doing this as it is redundant and no better organized than the original mishmash of disjointed links.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to, or if you're supporting me wanting a dropdown list of links(organized) or if one existed before that I was unaware of, other than the one on the NAWS site many clicks away. I personally don't want yet another sticky, I want something on the main forum page, so new people can be directed there, rather than having to hunt, or look up, or keep a list of links on my computer, so I can help people with these things that come up repeatedly. I can recall having the link to battery FAQ's on my clipboard and using it in 2 separate posts inside of a few minutes.
    "why bother?"
    I want things to be better with the new forum, which 'Coot has obviously found frustrating, change will be good if we can make improvements rather than repeat old frustrations. I actually thing we had a discussion about this 3-4 years ago and some mod saying it would have to wait until a major revision...

I can remember discussing glossary terms and then the glossary was created and shuffled off in some sticky or dusty corner where it wasn't easy to find.

I really can't imagine it is any less frustrating for the mods who are much more interactive, but I suspect you do keep a list of links and templates of formulas and perhaps don't deal with this... I'm one of those people who doesn't mind hunting things down for people when I have time. I actually liked when we had locations for members via IP addresses, made things easier, but I guess that had something to do with privacy or proxy ISPs.

I feel for 'Coots frustration, and for all the moderators who give feely of their time, God Bless You! Thanks for making this the best, most informative solar forum on line!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BisM
    BisM Registered Users Posts: 13
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Tax Credits

Battery FAQs There are battery term glossary there, but I think there is a another glossary somewhere here...

Inverter Basics

Charge Controllers Basics .-.-..NAWS use to have one but it wasn't great but something.

Wind maps by State

Solar Isolation (How much sun do you get!) Not the best, there are several different

DC voltage drop calculator - I don't care for NAWS version, but perhaps theirs and another one

Energy Star Products

Basic Calculations - How much can I expect and Why - Great place for some of Bill's famous calculations!
    .......Grid Tied
    .......Off Grid

Without looking, some of the Sticky's could be formed into info links, not putting the load on you, but some of us might help. I recall a generator one...

I suspect you have others, on my old computer I had a solar 'favorites category so I could find these quickly since I always seemed to need to direct people to them.

Perhaps you could see where this would be useful? Maybe on the Today's Post New Posts Member List bar?

Sorry I had all the links, but wouldn't post so I copied to clip board....aaarrrrgggghhhhh!

There are some good links here thank you- however the Energy Star Products link didn't load for me, do you have another link?