look before leap

Options
froggersix
froggersix Solar Expert Posts: 35
i thought i had a great plan to go off grid but found out after i bought the place theres not enough sun even if i cut down all the trees in winter. so now i have to think again and will probably sell and move as now i have to run generator whenever i need electric and thats no good. i did not buy panels and stuff first though so thats good.

plan everything first before you buy anything!

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your plan can always be changed and made to work! While location and physical layout are important, given enough time and money, a beautiful location can be made to work very well. In fact, it has never been easier in the offgrid world!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you have enough land put panels on a frame, Often easier and better than roof mount .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • froggersix
    froggersix Solar Expert Posts: 35
    Options
    Your plan can always be changed and made to work! While location and physical layout are important, given enough time and money, a beautiful location can be made to work very well. In fact, it has never been easier in the offgrid world!

no cuz i do't have huge amounts of money to buy more panels than fit the property there just isn't enough sun in winter to do this so i rethink the whole deal. should figure this out before buying the land!
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    froggersix wrote: »

no cuz i do't have huge amounts of money to buy more panels than fit the property there just isn't enough sun in winter to do this so i rethink the whole deal. should figure this out before buying the land!

Well, each person must know their limitations. It can be done but it really helps if you love the place.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is the property located? There are a number of posters that live " North of 60* " on the board and they have designed systems that work..

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Options
    You could set some poles or posts and get your array up high. I think you would be surprised with what taking down a few trees and getting your array 20 feet up will do. Winter can be tough off grid. Even the "pros" may run a generator frequently.