What are you using for off-grid internet access?

Options
2»

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: What are you using for off-grid internet access?
    AntronX wrote: »
    What is good WiFi signal strength and sniffing program for Ubuntu Linux?

Linux is Linux.

If by "Ubuntu" you actually mean "GUI" then I couldn't tell you. I spend less than half my time in X - I do most of what I do at the command line.

I use airodump-ng or Kismet for signal strength.
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: What are you using for off-grid internet access?

Ok, thanks. I miss NetStumbler since I cannot install XP on my laptop.
  • Deveak
    Deveak Solar Expert Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Options
    I pay 55 a month with unlimited talk text and data with tethering. Its frawg wireless, under ntelos. I think they use the sprint tower here. It is unlimited, if i use a ton of data they lightly throttle, its 3g. I got a wilson sleek booster for a better signal.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We use Xplornet at ~ $78 per month and 20 Gb of traffic http://www.xplornet.com/plans-pricing/residential-plans-pricing/

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zozomike
    zozomike Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Options
    We are off grid, also 7 miles from nearby villiage. I had Wild Blue satellite for several years. They were just barely ok. Finally when I wound up with a partner (and she could not live without TV) so we went to Dish, now have 2 satellites in the yard. Internet is $49.00 mo plus all the little add ons. TV brings it up quite a bit so the total is $128.00 month. Service is better than Wild Blue and you can speak to a human and/or get a technician easily.
    Understand Sat does not really work with VOIP, so you still have to have your mobile phone.

Off grid, all solar, passive and active (winter wood heat supplements) PV DHW.

Array 1-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Array 2-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Well array 780w, 6 Kyocera 130 w with Grundfos sqflex 11 and cu200 to elevated storage, ( 2- 330 g tanks,) no battery storage at well

10 24 volt Battle Born Lithiums

Outback Flexpower Two, VFXR 3524A 7kw

• beachman
    beachman Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options
    We have a cell phone booster with the antenna attached to the stink pipe on our compost toilet. Using tethering on the phone and subscribing to additional data plans ( in NB Canada) we get good service at a reasonable cost
  • arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    I am using the Ericson W35 booster with an antenna and it works very well. 35 bucks a month, but all year round whether I use it or not. The Rogers plan I am using has a limit of $100 for 6 or 8 gigs.The sim card can be put in a stick as well if you go eleswhere.
    Also gives you wifi.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ericson+w35&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=JzQEVdGiFrWOsQS-loFA
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • westbranch
    Options
    I would love it if we could use WiFi, but the closest cell is > 150 miles (245Km) away...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I can’t wait for the outernet to get going better. It launched Augest 11 of last year. Outernet.is. Check out the video. The guy goes out to the middle of nowhere, puts his dish up and watches a soccer game. Pretty cool. And there is the Lantern which is like the Public Library for FREE. Check it out, it should be available around June or so and crowd source funded. Very cool. Free to use too.

I got a couple of neighbors together where one has DSL and we use 24db antennas from www.simplewifi.com with the usb adapters. One uses their bridge device to distribute throughout their home and they can view youtube videos if there is not too much activity on the others units at the same time. Works out to $12 for each of the three of us per month.

These work line of sight and work well if you keep the signal path clear. We put up a couple sections of 10’ tower to mount antennas on and have dedicated antenna pairs to a dedicated wifi transmitter. More up front cost, but long term it works out pretty cheap.

I am also using a T-mobile hotspot which runs only about $10 a month because it is tagged onto another cell plan, but it doesn’t work too well and not a lot of bandwidth. No youtube.

Later this year I do plan to get an outernet.is dish up and running. After the hardware cost it will be free. Don’t know how much it will cost to get it up and running, but I will post it when I get it going.

Elon Musk is launching 10’s of cube satellites to make this happen. We do live in exciting times.
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Outernet doesn't appear to be 'internet access' more like a small library of information, starting at 200mb (perhaps revolving?) But one way like having a 200mb wifi hard drive from what info I could gleen;

https://www.outernet.is/en/

Wiki
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On this subject we recently moved from a very poor DSL service, to a local wireless isp. The DSL was 6.2kms of copper to the exchance and previously had manaaged 800kb/128kb. Lately was struggling to get 240kb. The wireless isp is locally well regarded, and the service delivering 10Mb/5Mb 15ms ping, reliably thus far, for less money than the DSL. (primowireless.co.nz)

We live on a volcano, and a concave cone is easy to deliver this sort of service. However as we are in a dip they asked us to provide a mast that extended 3m above the rooflne. So that mast is almost 7m long, its 2 inch galv pipe. The day the installer arrived to fit the radio gear (5 giga hz band wifi,POE powered) there was the most dramatic lightening storm ive ever been witness to in all my days. The guy was up a 3m ladder on top of the 3m high roof, when this sudden boom, then flash right after. I saw his arm retract from the mast like he had touched an electric fence. I climbed down, sat on the ground for a bit shaking his arm. He was very lucky not to have fallen (and i am not sure that ladder practice is good)

I asked him what their recomendation about earthing of the mast was, and he wasnt sure.

We waited the storm out before going back up to align the dish antenna. (ubiquity gear). There were three more pretty much direct hits, one in the treeline about 50m away, then two that caused the air inside the house to ionise with a great flash. My wife saw these and thought they were in the general direction of the mast, that corner of the house.

The DSL router died (ironically) i think on the first hit. Wouldnt even boot, thats connected to the copper obviously a long antenna. The other two causalties were minor, the HDMI input on my desktop monitor now does not work, and a LED voltmeter that was monitoring our battery voltage also died. Other than that all the RE gear survived.

So, yeah my plan is to add a dedicated earth stake for the mast, as its not my gear thats atop it, and the mast clearly is attractive to lightning.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• westbranch
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    and the mast clearly is attractive to lightning.

Wow ZB imagine that, a 7 m steel pole attracting a lone lightning strike! Zounds Batman!... would NOT have expected that to happen...:-):roll:cry:

Luck you are both still with us to relay the details! ;)

What type of base does that pole have? concrete?

• backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Options
    where I live, cell phone service was pretty much non-existant till I put an omni directional antenna on the far end of my roof and a Wilson signal booster on the other end of the house in the office. its then connected to an internal antenna in the house. Works great for cell phone service in 3 rooms of the house.

I went through a couple of unhappy years with Hughs customer service and finally just gave up on their equipment. Had Wildblue for about 6 years and the equipment was trouble free and had 15gb of data. About 6 months ago they dropped the service down to 10gb and said their service was going to be slower in my area . I dropped them like a hotpotato. I'm now working off my Verizon cell service with 15gb of data for a shared total data for $100. & it's extremely easy to monitor my useage. It gets real expensive if I wanted to up my data package to 25gb or higher.I purchased a little box from Verizon to boost the data signal, @ $10 a month bit my computer actually works better by using my cell phone as a mobile hotstot and making my own personal wifi. It is what it is & I just have to live with it.
  • zoneblue
    Options
    WB, the pole is bolted to the side of the house. Stoppping about a foot from the ground. Talked to my two neighbours today, and they lost a whole range of applances from tvs to electric stoves, pumps, even one switchboard exploded.

• westbranch
    Options
    Wow... do you have any SPD's? that gap probably made the lightning find an alternate route to ground..?? your router and the DSL cable? Electric wiring inside the walls? Too hot for me...

• zoneblue
    Options
    Have one spd on the inverter output. Gona get some more! Yes, that gap is what i want to fix, the mast had only been up one day. Those neighbours have been here for 35 years and 12 years, both said it the worst they ever seen.

Im thinking its own stake, and some 4 guage guage cable crimped both ends to lugs and stainless bolts.

• westbranch
    Options
    yup and a longer contact area up the pole would probably help too, 2 ga also??? It's going to look for the POLR