Forum upgrade is complete...

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    From the main page, the forum index page.... a scree shot.... Attachment not found.

Mt. Don, if that ScreenShot was for me, then I have not described very well the point was trying to make.

There appears to be at least TWO presentations of this Forum;

One is when the "Discussion Forum" button on the Wind-Sun store site is clicked. This same appearance is also presented when one uses a/the link from the previous version of the Forum SW. This view APPEARS to be a real home-page, and it was a real home-page for the previous version of the SW. This view, while looking like the real site is not, and lacks some attributes, including who IS on the Forum. This view is also devoid of any Plus marks (or Minuses) in the Red Bars -- no amount of clicking on the red bars seems to change ANYTHING, and there is NO button to labeled, "What's Going On -- NOTHING.

A second appearance is when one clicks " Home " on the not real home page, described above. Guess that this is the secret entry into the real Forum.

Some Foura call the main page the Index, some sites call the main page Home. Had thought that I was already Home when arriving at this site from my Favorite Link (which worked to get to the real Home Page with the previous SW version, and this not quite real presentation of the real Forum is also presented when clicking the " Discussion Forum " button on the Wind-Sun store main page.

... Just got an Error! notice, and the Post just hung ... This stuff does not look very stable ... NEVER got such an Error message with the previous SW version ...

The previous SW version was really the best of any Forum-type SW that I have used or seen. Still curious about the main benefit that this new SW will confer on the Sponsors, or users of this site.

Sorry to be SO Tedious. Some of the variations in what is being reported from Forum users, might be caused by the variability of "views" that we happen to see, based on just what alleys we used to get to the Forum/Real Forum . FWIW. Tedious Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    ...... I see.... when one goes to the sales website main page .... http://www.solar-electric.com/ there is a link to the "discussion forum" there.

Cicking on that link takes us to this page.... http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum Thus page does NOT have the "what's going on" section

Then if one is already "inside" the forum and clicks on the white Forums button near the top left, just under the "WI" in the header image that takes us to this page...
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/ (note the difference in the url. ) This page DOES have the "what's going on" section. This is what I have bookmarked. Never noticed the difference before.

Most of the two pages have the same content, and that is confusing. Also seems as waste of resources.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    ...... I see.... when one goes to the sales website main page .... http://www.solar-electric.com/ there is a link to the "discussion forum" there.

Cicking on that link takes us to this page.... http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum Thus page does NOT have the "what's going on" section

Then if one is already "inside" the forum and clicks on the white Forums button near the top left, just under the "WI" in the header image that takes us to this page...
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/ (note the difference in the url. ) This page DOES have the "what's going on" section. This is what I have bookmarked. Never noticed the difference before.

Most of the two pages have the same content, and that is confusing. Also seems as waste of resources.

Yes, that is exactly what I have been trying to say. For all I know there may be other pages with differing presentation and functionality ... Just have never seen this duality, or perhaps, multiplicity. And even if there are "only" two somewhat different pages that appear to be the Home page, there appears to be no good reason for this. It simply adds NOISE for ALL involved.

Some of us are simply looking for familiar, consistent tools to read and post into Forums. Consistency from one Forum site to the next is important (to me). Am not looking for puzzle solving, or hieroglyphic translation/interpretation to just try to use a site.

What was the best Forum software has become difficult to use, unpredictable, and a large consumption of time for Moderators, Admin, Support, site Owners and Users, IMO. Guess will stop asking WHY ?? It appears to not matter.

Thanks! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Another thing I noticed is that after reading a post and using the Browser 'back' button, it will dull down the text and remove the down arrow , thus indicatiing the post was erad, for only 2 posts, after that, using the browser's 'back' arrow will NOT remove the down arrow and the post having been read still shows as unread...??? I really like to use the back arrow and see that the post has changed category (read)!

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Some improvements are coming in the way notifications are handled, these are in the next release (5.1.6) which isn't far off now. This will included notifications being automatically "dismissed" once you've read the thread they relate to (as is currently the case with private Messages). ....

Not necessarily. I received a PM the other day and even after reading it 3 times in 2 different ways the red number at the top-right wouldn't go away. I don't know what I did that finally dismissed it.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    "Today's Posts" is much faster (cpu time) vs "New Posts". Something like 0.008 seconds vs 1.8 seconds.

Perhaps a search optimization for "New Posts" is possible.

-Bill

Yup, that sounds like a database index would help.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • hemmjo
    hemmjo Solar Expert Posts: 90 ✭✭
    testing here, I cannot post anymore, after I write in this space, and click post relay, I get a message. saying "empty reply".

if this one works, then I am shocked, and not sure what I am doing wrong when I try to post in the Solar Beginners forum.

John

Since this worked, here is a screen shot in the next post of the error message I get when tried to create a new topic in the Beginners forum

Two systems in the Dominican Republic  http://villagemountainmission.org/
    installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
    installed Feb 2015 at 19.795733° -70.893372°, same components  as above
    Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Sorry John,

I have asked mark to look at your posting problem.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Members,

It is "very quiet" this morning on the forum... And, from what little I can tell--About 1/3rd or more of the members have received some sort of warning/error (latest software gives me almost no information on what the warnings/errors may possibly be (they could be anything--possibly even including a normal search result was empty "warning"--I just do not know)...

Rick (from NAWS) "...logged into the admin panel and repaired and optimized the tables and cleared the system cache...".

That was about all he could do from his side... I suspect that Mark (from VB) has a life outside of work--And we have not heard from him for a little bit...

Anyway, if anyone is still getting strange/incorrect errors and actions from the forum, can you please post them here. Past the URL in for the page you are attempting to do something, and the (as close as you can) actions/error messages that are causing you problems.

Thank you,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hemmjo
    I was able to post in the Beginners forum just now, so that must have fixed it.. Thanks.. John
    installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
    Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week

• gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    I know that I am full of complaints and I am sorry. I switched back to seeing the last post of a thread first. Now the first post of the thread is first and the last responce is first. I find it quicker to get through this way though not nesissary cause I can hit the two little arrows. I will probly switch back to hitting the two arrows to get to the last post because the responces are not numbered when going this route. I would have swore they were when I did this at the begining of this topic thread. It is nice to know the number of the responce you are reading. If this is a petty thing to gripe about, don't spend much time on it. If however it is really easy to fix, well, you know.

Anyway, thanks for looking.
    gww
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a fresh batch of duplicates posts on the forum that can be investigated.

Spell Checking - I found pressing the Left Shift key, and then right click for firefox spell check, works . Don't know about I.E.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    Another thing I noticed is that after reading a post and using the Browser 'back' button, it will dull down the text and remove the down arrow , thus indicatiing the post was erad, for only 2 posts, after that, using the browser's 'back' arrow will NOT remove the down arrow and the post having been read still shows as unread...??? I really like to use the back arrow and see that the post has changed category (read)!

Back buttons have never been recommended for vBulletin forums, or any dynamic forums to be honest. The results may be unpredictable.
  • vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    Members,

It is "very quiet" this morning on the forum... And, from what little I can tell--About 1/3rd or more of the members have received some sort of warning/error (latest software gives me almost no information on what the warnings/errors may possibly be (they could be anything--possibly even including a normal search result was empty "warning"--I just do not know)...

Rick (from NAWS) "...logged into the admin panel and repaired and optimized the tables and cleared the system cache...".

That was about all he could do from his side... I suspect that Mark (from VB) has a life outside of work--And we have not heard from him for a little bit...

Anyway, if anyone is still getting strange/incorrect errors and actions from the forum, can you please post them here. Past the URL in for the page you are attempting to do something, and the (as close as you can) actions/error messages that are causing you problems.

Thank you,
    -Bill

Clearing the forum cache will help. Optimising database tables shouldn't be needed.
    However this doesn't happen normally so if it occurs regularly, something is wrong somewhere.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a long thread, and I haven't read through it, but at one time, I think we were talking about a drop down menu for links and FAQ's, Links such as the NAWS battery and charge controller info pages and glossary/terms, voltage drop calculator if inked to NAWS version, it needs more info such as round trip or one way distance/...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • hemmjo
    I am wondering if the forum is working? I have been watching some posts on the beginners, and PV installers I do not see many recent posts. I also had trouble post a few days ago. I was finally successful after someone apparently "optomized and cleared cache" However now I see that I started the same topic 11 times when I look at my postings in the info part. The message is only in the beginners forum once, so I can thankful for that.

• westbranch
    that multiple post issue has apparently been resolved and BB did a cleanout of the extras, that he knew about, he might not have found those by you...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • BB.
    We are having fun. :cry:

-Bill
  • BB.
    Now that things have quieted down.. A question to the members here--Do you folks miss the News Feed?

Solar Energy News RSS Feed

I can asked to get it repaired if enough people would like to see it continue (assuming it just needs some tweaks to the templates).

-Bill
  • westbranch
    Well.....ah.... nope

• westbranch
    Bill, I have noticed that the new Version is not accurately recording that I have read a posting , once it is read, nor is it always remembering the last post read correctly...???? FYI,just happened on this thread...again...

• westbranch
    and again 12344589689578

• BB.
    Yea, one of may problems--Mostly with the Forum upgrade thread--I make a post, and it tells me my post is the last New "unread" Post.

I think there is a race condition in the software somewhere (among others).

In any case David and Rick from NAWS are planning on talking with VB tomorrow (or soon) about how to proceed next--Fix the problems in this version, or go with the next bug fix due out soon (assuming it is bug fix and minor feature enhancement). Trying to figure out where we are now--In the frying pan or in the fire? :cry:

-Bill

PS: Did it again for this post--Last unread (for me) was this post. :confused:
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Now that things have quieted down.. A question to the members here--Do you folks miss the News Feed?

Solar Energy News RSS Feed

I can asked to get it repaired if enough people would like to see it continue (assuming it just needs some tweaks to the templates).

-Bill

That's a Yes and a No. Yes, I did scan the topics but I only read maybe 25% of them.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Photowhit

While I didn't follow it too closely, it did bring up talking points and I think added to the discussion... this is a forum.

Again, This is a long thread, and I haven't read through it, but at one time, I think we were talking about a drop down menu for links and FAQ's, Links such as the NAWS battery and charge controller info pages and glossary/terms, voltage drop calculator if inked to NAWS version, it needs more info such as round trip or one way distance...

We are forever hunting for these links to Battery FAQs, I think we had 2 different spots for glossary terms, neither could be found... I think most forums have these things, wish we did...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    I have the Working FAQ I started long time ago... With the intent of trying to organize into a real FAQ.

If somebody (or several people) want to start a thread with the "essential" pointers to information--I am more than happy to make it a Sticky (perhaps a FAQ). Once we have one or two posts with the information, I can delete any discussions up to that point.

-Bill
  • Photowhit
    Tax Credits

Battery FAQs There are battery term glossary there, but I think there is a another glossary somewhere here...

Inverter Basics

Charge Controllers Basics .-.-..NAWS use to have one but it wasn't great but something.

Wind maps by State

Solar Isolation (How much sun do you get!) Not the best, there are several different

DC voltage drop calculator - I don't care for NAWS version, but perhaps theirs and another one

Energy Star Products

Basic Calculations - How much can I expect and Why - Great place for some of Bill's famous calculations!
    .......Grid Tied
    .......Off Grid

Without looking, some of the Sticky's could be formed into info links, not putting the load on you, but some of us might help. I recall a generator one...

I suspect you have others, on my old computer I had a solar 'favorites category so I could find these quickly since I always seemed to need to direct people to them.

Perhaps you could see where this would be useful? Maybe on the Today's Post New Posts Member List bar?

Sorry I had all the links, but wouldn't post so I copied to clip board....aaarrrrgggghhhhh!
  • BB.
    Photowhit, I have copied your post to a new Sticky.

If you have a thread you like for calculating GT/Off Grid systems and their loads--You can edit your original post or make a second post to that thread. I would suggest that the thread mostly be a list of links--We have the Working FAQ that has lots more detailed posts with discussions.

-Bill
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    whitt

Maby some general rule of thumb items like. (I do realize you covered some of this) what should be a pv number for picking 12 volt, 24volt or 48 volt system. 77 % derate for grid tie 52% for battery based. 1000 watt inverter = 1000 watts panel, 2000 watt inverter = 2000 watts panels. 1000 watts solar min bank 100 amphour battery.
    When matching panels on an mppt system, no more then 10% vareance.
    These are probly wrong but I have seen thing like this thrown around during conversation. I know you match load, but other simple rules of thumb can help match equiptment to loads.

gww
  • BB.
    Let's not talk about the details here. Start a new thread to discuss what a link faq would need.

-Bill
This discussion has been closed.