Need to replace/repair circuit board for Whisper 200

sandtaz
sandtaz Registered Users Posts: 3
I need to replace/repair the printed circuit board in the charge controller for a Whisper 200. Looking for a source to get a new board. I have contact many suppliers/dealers, including McDonald Solar in Colorado, with negative results. Hoping to find someone with a new board. Several repair facilities have quoted a minimum of $250.00 for repair. I believe that, when available, the new boards ran about $100.00. Sure would like to get this unit back on line. Any suggestion/leads would be very helpful. Thanks. Tom.

Comments

• Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    sandtaz wrote: »
    I need to replace/repair the printed circuit board in the charge controller for a Whisper 200. Looking for a source to get a new board. I have contact many suppliers/dealers, including McDonald Solar in Colorado, with negative results. Hoping to find someone with a new board. Several repair facilities have quoted a minimum of $250.00 for repair. I believe that, when available, the new boards ran about $100.00. Sure would like to get this unit back on line. Any suggestion/leads would be very helpful. Thanks. Tom.

You could just ditch the whisper controller and make your own. There is nothing fancy about it, its just a bridge rectifier and air diversion load in one package. Then you could use the extra juice for something like heating water if you wanted to. Of course Im not sure what your electronics background is but you dont need much to make a three phase bridge rectifier. This link has a picture of the one I made up. then get a tristar T60 and an air or water diversion element and you are back in business.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=138316.0
  • mrmrb9
    mrmrb9 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I replaced my controller with an "LDR 12-100E 12V 100A Wind Dump Load Controller" bought from cleanenergybrands.com  for  $218.  They have many voltage model/options. That one is in a NEMA box, it has rectifier, charge controller and diversion controller. Diversion resistors are separate purchase. I have had mine for 4 years and works well, you can adjust the diversion voltage. It is rated for 100 amps at 12VDC and I see up to 70 amps charging on my Whisper 200.  Better to add analog meters to monitor charging.  Controller is made in Canada by Solar Converters Inc but easier and cheaper to buy in USA