Forum upgrade is complete...

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Lookin good, tks

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Mark,

If you can do something "different" with the Mark Forums Read... It looks just like functional and non-functional text. And there is no "hover" note or anything other than a change to the mouse pointer.

Just Bold-Blue text on light back ground or something... At/near the top of the page would be more obvious too.

Thank you--The overall contrast is is much better... If you could get "white area" out of the short posts (User Badge shrink?) etc... Would be nice.

-Bill

I've changed the Mark Forums Read link into a button.
    I've also added a copy of it up at the top of the forum index, on the right.

White space, it's tricky, I've tried making the signatures "float", which should improve it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Aces Mark! Both are much better.

Thank you.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Man, I am impressed. I leave for a couple hours and come back and now the store site is up, the forum topic you clicked is on every page. I am impressed. Still want to know which topics I posted in to show but still very impressed with what has been done in responce to the members concerns. My hat is off to mark and bill for getting this thread going and showing you concerns for us members.
    thanks
    gww

I do wish everybody would quit using my picture for their default though. :D
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark, things are looking much crisper, thanks for the Store Link 'button/bar", and all of the other work that you are doing. Thanks! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • westbranch
    Mark, I note a broken? link in post 21 of the thread on Wire size started by Hairfarm... tried to copy and paste the thread address but?...

try again http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-wind-power-balance-of-system/pv-installers-forum-nec-wiring-installation/25052-discrepency-with-wire-distance-charts

worked this time...;)

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • vBulletin Support
    westbranch wrote: »
    Mark, I note a broken? link in post 21 of the thread on Wire size started by Hairfarm... tried to copy and paste the thread address but?...

try again http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-wind-power-balance-of-system/pv-installers-forum-nec-wiring-installation/25052-discrepency-with-wire-distance-charts

worked this time...;)
    Looks like two of the attachments are corrupted somehow.
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Much, much better. Thanks Mark, for your time and patience.
  • BB.
    I also just got a message from Rick at NAWS (he does their web support and stuff--As I understand)... He has been working with Mark on the forum formatting and some of the store links too.

Thank you Rick and Mark!

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Steven Lake
    Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
    Reading this thread is funny as I remember being a forum admin once and all the fun that came with it after a major upgrade. Even so I like the new forum, although it'll take some getting used to. But hey, that's progress, right? :D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've added some colors, link underlining and general contrast. the colors closely match what was on the old site.

Still not fun. I have bright white background showing, and faint, thin grey text. I now almost dread viewing this forum. Am I missing a user control for a theme or display setting?

Also, I use Firefox and it's internal spell checker. But not at forum.solar-electric.com anymore. I get an PASTE or ADD TABLE pop-up when I try to right click on a highlighted misspelled word.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vBulletin Support
    mike95490 wrote: »
    I have bright white background showing, and faint, thin grey text
    Where are you seeing this? Are you able to take a screenshot?

In posts themselves, background is currently very light grey, with text in black. I also enlarged the font.
  • vBulletin Support
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Also, I use Firefox and it's internal spell checker.
    This gets overridden on some screens by the third party message editor vBulletin uses. Nothing I can personally do about it, though I know there's an improvement request logged in our bug tracker to see if the developers can change that behaviour. Not sure if they can or not.
  • vBulletin Support
    What color was the background of the posts before? I don't have a screenshot of that. It can be made to be pretty much any color really. White/grey background with black text is generally most common.I can try and make it match the style in some way, though there's a lot of yellow/orange in that.
  • vBulletin Support
    Ok is that any better?

Matches the main site colors exacty, and is a lot "warmer" as a background.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a gray horizontal 'something I can't read' that is located just above the "Not so new guy" symbol. When I hover over it a message pops up: "is on a distinguished road".

What's that about?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    For me on Window 7 with FireFox v35.0.1:

On the main threads/posting screen, the right mouse click gives me the normal popup with spell check suggestions.
    • Once or twice I got the reduced Copy/Add table pop-up (perhaps some control key slipped through and "confused addin?).
    On the PM windows:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/privatemessage/new/0
    • Spell check pop-up works in the SUBJECT BOX (I have to turn spell check for each new message, not sticky). (not Ajax Editor?)
    • However, for the main PM message body, I always get the reduced pop-up on right click with Paste/Add table. If I highlight the text, I get 4 options Copy/Cut/Paste/Add table.
    There appears to be some configuration passed to the WYSIWYG editor that is different between main forum posts and PM posts that forces the different actions.

On another comment--The "auto grow window" (which I do not like because it "grows" the window so large, the edit tools scroll off the top the of the window... I have seen once or twice where auto grow stops and then a scroll bar appears in the edit window.

Almost 50 lines, and the scroll bar appears and the window stops growing... Would be nice if the window grow was configurable (sticky) and stop around 15-25 lines or so (different number of for different people)

Regarding the background/text color for the edit window. White background, black (or mostly black? Could be darker for me if possible and if text is somewhat "grey" vs black) text. White background is about the maximum white I would like. Not sure if too white for others (like Mike).

Displayed posts appear to be black on a light gold back ground (OK with me).

-Bill
  • BB.
    vtmaps wrote: »
    There is a gray horizontal 'something I can't read' that is located just above the "Not so new guy" symbol. When I hover over it a message pops up: "is on a distinguished road".

What's that about?

--vtMaps

That is a User Ranking of some sort... The forum can be configured to "vote" on people (or give a "reputation").

I have suggested to Mark that I am not a big fan on voting/reputation for users... That is probably why they are all currently grey boxes and there is no voting options available (would fill with green bars as reputation is gained). I prefer to let the content of the post/posts stand as posted.

If we do not use reputations (an editorial opinion on my part--Others may disagree)--Then the grey bars can be removed form the "user badge".

-Bill
  • vBulletin Support

What's that about?

--vtMaps

They are reputation bars...they didn't show up very well on the new gold background so I've made them more prominent.
    Gradually each individual bar will change to green based on the number of "Likes" received.
    The "is on a distinguished road" is supposed to be prefixed by the person's username, which I've now rectified. This phrase will change to other light-hearted phrases as the bar increases.
  • vBulletin Support

That is a User Ranking of some sort... The forum can be configured to "vote" on people (or give a "reputation").

I have suggested to Mark that I am not a big fan on voting/reputation for users... That is probably why they are all currently grey boxes and there is no voting options available (would fill with green bars as reputation is gained). I prefer to let the content of the post/posts stand as posted.

If we do not use reputations (an editorial opinion on my part--Others may disagree)--Then the grey bars can be removed form the "user badge".

-Bill

Yes they are tied to "Likes".
    If Likes are not required that system can be disabled, it's up to you.
  • BB.
    To copy over from another thread in case Mark is not following whole forum:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/special/reports/330585-reply-to-panel-angle?p=330585

I confirm. If I use Internet Explorer, not logged into forum, using this link:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/foru...pensate-or-not

I too get:
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.

-Bill
  • vBulletin Support
    Regarding the background/text color for the edit window. White background, black (or mostly black? Could be darker for me if possible and if text is somewhat "grey" vs black) text. White background is about the maximum white I would like. Not sure if too white for others (like Mike).
    I can make it the same gold background as the posts. Technically, as it's "WYSIWYG" that's how it should be. I can put this in place if you wish.
  • BB.
    I will let Mike/others suggest any color scheme/font changes... I am OK as is and have a terrible artistic sense.

Making the white back ground a bit more pale would be OK with me... But I can adjust screen brightness too to bring the white back a bit.

-Bill
  • vtmaps

Notifications - they probably want clearing out from each user and starting again. Those who are having problems with excessive email notifications please post in this thread and I'll clear yours for you.
    [USER="9738"]vtmaps[/USER] I have done yours.

I posted to this thread about 30 minutes ago. I have already gotten 4 emails notifying me of responses. Now I have unsubscribed. One email is enough to alert me.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • vBulletin Support

I posted to this thread about 30 minutes ago. I have already gotten 4 emails notifying me of responses. Now I have unsubscribed. One email is enough to alert me.

--vtMaps

You can configure those options here:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/settings/notifications
  • vtmaps
    You can configure those options here:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/settings/notifications

I don't see where to limit my notification to just one email. In the former software, the email would say something to the effect: "there may be other replies, but this is the only notification you will receive until you visit that page"

--vtMaps
  • vBulletin Support

I don't see where to limit my notification to just one email. In the former software, the email would say something to the effect: "there may be other replies, but this is the only notification you will receive until you visit that page"

--vtMaps

No there isn't, the nearest is to have a daily email.

A lot of people requested that the software be changed to email on EVERY reply. So that is what was done in the new version. I thought it was fine as it was, but some people do take a different view.
    However, there is now a request in to have it changed back to the former behaviour.
    "You should only get one email notification until you've returned to the board again, per vB2/3/4"

I guess this is one of those "can't please everyone" scenarios.
  • westbranch
    I find the 2 tones of gold background colour (quote and new text) a bit bright, but better /easier to read than the white background. Spellchecker working at this time.
    Getting better all the time. Tks

• vBulletin Support
    westbranch wrote: »
    I find the 2 tones of gold background colour (quote and new text) a bit bright, but better /easier to read than the white background. Spellchecker working at this time.
    Getting better all the time. Tks

Thanks for the feedback.

My thinking was, well "white is too bright", that's what was coming across loud and clear, light grey didn't help, so the next step is to try and much up to what is on the main site.
    The two shades of gold are a lot easier on the eye than bright white, I feel. I'm pretty pleased with the overall result.Still tweaking here and there.
  • vtmaps
    I guess this is one of those "can't please everyone" scenarios.
    Why not please everyone? Make this a user-configurable option.

--vtMaps
This discussion has been closed.