Forum upgrade is complete...

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Forum Members,

The upgrade is complete. Wow--What a change in the look and feel.

The only function that will not work well is the Forum Search Function. It will take a few hours for the indexes to rebuild.

If you have any questions or problems with the software, feel free to post them to this thread.

Take care,
-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    How do you get the posts to invert from Newest to Oldest ??
  • BB.
    Blackcherry04,

Are you asking about when reading posts on the forum or when searching for new posts?

I am still learning here too... It appears to find "new posts", I have to click on Forum then "Today's Posts". This is also bringing up other posts/threads I have already read today (forum "forgot" I have read those earlier today. (not a big issue).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BC04,

I have not figured out the details of editing our profiles yet... It appears that in the very upper right corner is your user Name with a Down Arrow...

I think I can still change how you read your posts in the ADMIN Section... Do you want to see the newest posts first or newest posts last? Your profile shows the Newest Post First (assuming all is working correctly).

-Bill
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Newest First, does not seem to be working though.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    I like it when I am looking at a thread that I see the last answer first, so that the last answer is on the first page of a two or three page thread/topic. I also hate change and will have to get used to this. It seems a little slower but that could be me having to scroll through the whole topic to get to the last answer. I have looked Through the help topics but could not find the funtion to change this.

Thanks
    gww
  • gww1
    I also cannot seem to get to the last page of a topic without going one page at a time, even typing in a number did not get me to the last page of the post.
    gww
  • BB.
    What worked for me is type some large number in the "page box" (like 99), and it will go to the last page of whatever you are looking at.

-Bill
  • BB.
    GWW1,

I have "flipped" your thread display--It now shows oldest at the top of the screen and the newest at the bottom (that is they way I read the forum). Let me know if this is better/worse/or does not change the problems you are having.

If looking (for example) at the forum thread list, you can change the sort order.

In the upper right of the Forum header bar is a "FILTER" button... You can change the search/sort directions there. I am not sure you can make them default to something other than what is forum standard.

-Bill
  • gww1
    Bill I figured out if you push the little arrows by the last posters name, it will take you to the last posted answer.

I still hate change but thank you very much for your responce.
    gww
  • BB.
    Yes, the little blue arrows on the "New Posts" display take you to the first new post... Has been there "forever".

-Bill
  • pleppik
    pleppik Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to find the "New Posts" function in the updates software. That was my go-to way to see all the current activity, and it seems to be well hidden now.
  • BB.
    As near as I can tell... The New Post function is now "Forums" and then "Today's Posts".

Note that as a result of the upgrade (my guess), all posts in the last two days are "new posts".

There used to be a Mark All Forums Read function. Don't see that now.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Looking around... There is no "Unread Posts" and no Mark All Posts Read function. really strange.

The Forum/Today's posts is the only way... And you have to look though all the posts--The read posts/threads are just not highlighted anymore.

Sort of a major missing item/change in how to read the forum????

-Bill
  • gww1
    [PHP]Yes, the little blue arrows on the "New Posts" display take you to the first new post... Has been there "forever".
    [/PHP]

They may have been there forever but I never had to use them because the last post would be at the top when I clicked on the topic. By the way, this was the only forum I came to that did that and I liked it. I didn't stop going to the other forums cause they didn't have though. I couldn't find my signature. I will probly figure all I need to know in time. I haven't figured for sure what tells you if you have spoke on a topic. I always found the little green check mark really stood out. Have I said I hate change. Any way, I will quit wasting your time and try to figure some of this out for myself.

I had missed your post on the change you made for me.
    Thanks
    gww
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So will there be footers to describe systems? I found that helpful in helping people and others have asked me for information on my old power center, only reason I maintained it in my info.

Also some place to include the area of the country/location?

I think these features are important.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    OK, looks like we need to start a list:
    1. New Posts function missing (not the same as "Today's Posts")
    2. Missing Signature from Posts
    I will keep this updated and will ask the software guys on Monday to take a look at our questions.

Vbulletin said this was going to be a pretty major upgrade/set of changes.

-Bill
  • gww1
    No link to naws (the store) on the front page. And don't forget to mention the little checkmarks on threads to hilight you have participated in them.
    gww

PS I wan't to know how they got the default picture to look so much like me.
  • BB.
    Thank you gww1:
    2. Missing Signature from Posts
    3. Missing "check mark" for thread "I have posted in"
    4. Missing link to Northern Arizona Wind & Sun as our forum host.
    -Bill
  • DLwindsun
    DLwindsun Administrators Posts: 34 admin
    Testing the signature issue
  • BB.
    Regarding the "missing signatures"... Looks like the software handles signatures differently. Now, you have "Turn On Signatures" to see other folk's signatures. To do this:

Click Here: http://forum.solar-electric.com/settings/account

And click on the Show Signatures box. You can also make sure Show Avatar's too (if you like):
    Conversation Detail Options
    Visible Post Elements
    [x] Show Signatures
    [x] Show Avatar
    Edit Post Signature

I have asked the software folks if they can turn that on for everyone and make it the forum default.

-Bill
  • gww1
    Thank you bill
    gww
  • gww1
    Something interesting. I went to the page you posted a link to and Thankfully it looked like you had gotten the sig correct for me, I checked the box a bit lower on how to veiw you post where It had a place to check for full post or latest. I clicked it and it looks like now when I click on a topic that it goes to the last post first and looks like it puts the original posters question on top of the last responce. At least when I clicked on this topic that is how it worked. This is giong to make it much harder for me to steal somebodys thread cause there question will the first thing you see and then the last answer. I can live with this but miss the participation check mark and like photo.... It would be nice to see where poeple come from if they are willing to tell. Guess I will add it to the sig.
    gww
  • BB.
    Hi gww1,

Yea, you where my guinea pig for trying to fix a couple of the forum issues.

I too saw those to buttons for post display--And did not want to to touch that just yet. I guess I will play with that next and see what happens. I really like simply "Linear" oldest first threads. The Threaded and other styles--Not so much.

gww1, if you wish, I can set your thread reading option back to "normal" or "Linear-Oldest first", your is presently "Hybrid"--whatever that is (I am not sure you can do that in the new User Settings screens):

Topic Display Mode

Linear - Oldest First
    Linear - Newest First
    Hybrid
    Threaded

Message Editor Interface

Do Not Show Editor Toolbar
    Show Standard Editor Toolbar
    Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG) Editor Toolbar

Plus is looks like Arkansasoffgrid created an empty thread (I have soft deleted)--See if that happens again.

-Bill
  • gww1
    Bill

I Don't mind if you change things on my thread, I am not compleetly computer literate. Funny thing, I went to outback and they have the nice little thing that lets you go to the last post, I have been there years and have been scrolling from the first post to the last. Now that I know I can do that, I don't need the last post to be first, Which I liked very well when I am keeping up with the daily goings on. I don;t want to work you unessisarily cause I can go uncheck what I checked. I don't quite get the hybred thing form what I did. I will miss the store link but mostly I liked the little check marks for when I only had so much time and had things I felt were interesting or felt I would be rude to ask a question and not go back and thank for an answer.

Thanks for your help bill, I see you are still out there answering questions like crazy while taking on the responcibility of this thread and for a crybaby like me.
    gww
  • BB.
    We try gww1, we try.

I will change your thread reading to what I like (Linear, oldest first). You tell me if this is better or not for you.

-Bill
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    I can't figure out why every upgrade in stuff makes us relearn ??
  • BB.
    CDN_VT,

Your ability to "see" signatures should be OK now... I updated your user settings manually.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Oh, forgot to add:

Poster TypeDr. reported a problem with the Search Field/Magnifying glass upper right of screen on the FORUMS/BLOGS/etc. line. If you try to type some characters in the field, it can cause the webpage to refresh. (tried typing Wind Turbine, and got the weird actions).

Updated list:
    2. Missing Signature from Posts [solution known. Users can fix themselves, see post #21--Software/DB fix next week]
    3. Missing "check mark" for thread "I have posted in"
    4. Missing link to Northern Arizona Wind & Sun as our forum host. [Rick from NAWS is fixing]
    5. Search Window in FORUM/BLOG/etc. bar--Typing letters causes page to refresh/reload
    -Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be a Mark All Forums Read function. Don't see that now.
    Ditto. I NEED to have that working, to keep this board useful.

What was the main reason for this "upgrade" because it's like going from winXP to win8. ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    Generally, most upgrades are the because of security issues and end of life for support.

David and Rick from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun have said they want the forum to have the functions we need/find useful restored.

Keeping track of the issues here--Post any other problems/questions you may have and Rick will contact the VB software folks to fix and/or hopefully restore the missing features.

-Bill
This discussion has been closed.