Any Forum Software Issues?

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Good evening folks,

NAWS is going to look at the forum software--Does anyone have any issues that should be addressed?

One that I have seen here reported is that new posts may not be visible unless the profile is changed from (for example) 10 to 15 posts per page--Then the "missing new posts" are visible (as I recall).

Any other issues?

-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Any Forum Software Issues?
    BB. wrote: »
    Good evening folks,

NAWS is going to look at the forum software--Does anyone have any issues that should be addressed?

One that I have seen here reported is that new posts may not be visible unless the profile is changed from (for example) 10 to 15 posts per page--Then the "missing new posts" are visible (as I recall).

Any other issues?

-Bill
    The missing posts problem can also usually be resolved by the person who cannot see the latest post(s) making a new post to that thread. That seems force a recalculation in the database which corrects the skipped or mishandled update.
    You can also go directly to the "missing" posts if you happen to know their post number or you get there from a list of posts by the submitter of a missing post. Not very likely to be possible in most cases.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭

No issues for me, just would like to see a small improvement: Is there any way I can tell which threads I have read/opened at least once? The envelope icons in front of the threads are appear either pink or blue and I can't tell any other difference. Maybe something similar to the threads I have replied to that have a green arrow.

Anyhow, I really love this forum!!!!!
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • BB.

As I understand, the blue are threads with few people posting/reading (usually new threads).

The way I read the forum is to use the "New Posts" button in the blue bar near the top of the page. This only shows threads with new posts since I have last read the threads.

I don't like the "Activity Stream" button--It does not show if there are unread new posts--Don't like that.

Would be nice to have a button to let me mark which threads I want to return to... Sometimes I do not have the time to make a reply (longer post), and I forget which thread I want to return to.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

For one day the little icons that allow you to do quote, smily and stuff was not at the top of the place where you type text. It is good now though.
    gww
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the time out issue has been minimized;)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Would be nice to have a button to let me mark which threads I want to return to... Sometimes I do not have the time to make a reply (longer post), and I forget which thread I want to return to.

-Bill
    Either bookmark the thread or open that thread in a new browser tab and leave it open while you continue to move around in the original tab?

Or just pull down the Thread Tools menu and click Subscribe to this thread. Then go to your profile and disable the option to automatically subscribe to all threads that you post to.
    Then search for your subscribed threads later.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.

Usually it is when I am using my phone to check up and see that you guys are behaving. And I find a thread I would make a longer post.

I could book mark and use Firefox with synced book marks. Or as you said use subscribe--But not really a lot of extra clicks I would like to do (getting lazy in my old age). I do leave a tab open on my phone too sometimes.

Anyway--Thank you for the suggestion.

-Bill
This discussion has been closed.