Microwave/Convection oven

We have a premier 20" propane stove/oven, but are looking to add solar to our cooking abilities.
This is what I was looking at http://m.appliancesconnection.com/sharp-r930ak-i10310.html?ref=froogle&gclid=CMWWu7-a9sICFalj7AodrxUAzg
8-420AH US Battery L-16s, Midnite Classic 150cc, Whiz Bang Jr, Magnum MS4448PAE inverter/charger,  4590w Canadian Solar panels. Honda EU2000i generator.

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Microwave/Convection oven

I would investigate a Panasonic inverter microwave. If they are power factor corrected, then they would have less startup load and make more efficient use of an inverter.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

What size (AH) battery bank do you have (Flooded cell)???

Otherwise, should not be a problem as a microwave. Large AC Inverter, TSW (true sine wave)... Just sizing of battery bank. If you have >~440 AH 48 volts of battery bank, the inverter/system should be able to supply full 4.4 kWatts (plus surge) just fine.

As a convection oven--If you cook for longer periods (hours at lower temperatures for meat, or have to pre-heat oven for high temp cooking):

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeAppliances/Microwaves/Models/R930AK.aspx?tech_specs=1
    [h=1]Technical Specifications[/h] [h=2]Features[/h]

Configuration:
    Countertop

Type:
    Convection

Capacity (cu. ft.):

Microwave Output Power Watts:

Heater Output Power (Watts):

You are looking at significant energy usage. Says 13 amps maximimum or 13Amps*120VAC=1,560 Watts or so. Your system certainly can supply that draw. But how much "extra power" do you have for convection cooking (which is faster than standard oven--Roughly 80% of cooking time and 25F cooler vs standard oven).

For the most part, people do not run microwaves that long (10's of minutes per day, not hours per day)--So overall, the energy usage is not very high (a laptop computer would draw similar amounts of power over 12+ hours of use).

Assuming you are using convection oven on sunny days--How much "excess" kWH per day do you think you have presently?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Arkansasoffgrid
    Arkansasoffgrid Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭

Only 8-GC2s currently, but 8-L16s with 420AH coming next summer.
    8-420AH US Battery L-16s, Midnite Classic 150cc, Whiz Bang Jr, Magnum MS4448PAE inverter/charger,  4590w Canadian Solar panels. Honda EU2000i generator.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of combined microwave/convection ovens. Normally a microwave oven will outlast a convection oven many times over, so when the convection portion fails, you end up throwing away the microwave as well. Beyond that, the normal smoke and cooking films created by convection ovens dirties up the whole inside, where a normal microwave oven can stay clean for decades with just a wipe with a damp cloth once in a while by comparison.
    Kind of reminds me of those combo TV/VCR units that sold 25 years ago. Great idea while they lasted, they just didn't last very long.
    Guess I'm just not a throw away kind of guy.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

We bought a panasonic inverter oven/microwave a year ago and it has been fantastic: http://www.panasonic.com/my/consumer/kitchen-appliances/microwave-oven/grill/nn-df383b.html
    We use it primarily as a microwave, but for the occasional grilling or baking it works great too. Cooking time for the oven is longer than they advertise in their recipe books, but it works, my wife was cooking pastries and cup cakes in no time. Even made a pizza in it :)