Panel height off the roof surface?

Options
HX_Guy
HX_Guy Solar Expert Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Is there an ideal height that the panels should be off a tile roof, especially for out here in Phoenix? I see most of my neighbors that have solar seem to have the panels fairly close off the surface, maybe 5" to the panel frame. I set mine to 7" because I need to clear a plumbing vent thanks to my genius installer, should that be ok...any downsides to having the panels a bit higher?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Panel height off the roof surface?

5-6 inches is about the maximum gap needed for good air circulation (to keep the panels cool).

Over that, it just becomes an issue of astetics and if they catch the wind (if they meet code for mounting requirements, should not be a problem).

Depending on where you live--You might have problems with animals trying to take shelter under the panels. Keeping wiring up and in metal conduit, screening to keep pests out, etc. can help.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

Around here, its a violation to go over the top of plumbing vents.
  • HX_Guy
    HX_Guy Solar Expert Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, I know, thank my genius installer. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll get overlooked. It's one panel and could be moved if it fails inspection.