How long do AGM batteries stay healthy without a charge?

Fernbark Frist
Fernbark Frist Registered Users Posts: 2
Someone near me is selling a kit they purchased but never installed ( I know the forum's opinion on kits, but I really just want the panels and batteries to add to my system). The bonus to the deal is that they have 12 AGM batteries that come with it, but since I know something (unfortunately not everything) about batteries, I know they were manufactured in May of 2010. If the person who bought them never did anything with them, is there a chance they are still any good at all? They are Deka Solar 8A31DT batteries if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Fern

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: How long do AGM batteries stay healthy without a charge?

Welcome to the forum Fern.

If they sat for four years not being charged at all - scrap metal.
    Even if they were charged properly there is a good chance they haven't much life left; AGM's usually don't have the lifespan of flooded cells and four years is about half-life anyway.

In other words don't expect them to be much of a 'pot sweetener'; go for the other equipment and take the batteries along if they're included.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

If they have not been put on a charger in 4 years then they are very dead and may not even take a charge.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Looked up that model, it is a general purpose battery and you would not want it for solar, it is a starter-marine-rv battery...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Good for cores when you buy new ones.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Fernbark Frist
    Fernbark Frist Registered Users Posts: 2

I pretty much expected that was the situation. They are just something heavy to be moved around right now. I think I will just see how desperate this guy is for some christmas cash for the parts I want. Thanks for all the advice.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

If you get the batteries for free, they are worth some cash at the recycler. Forget using them for core fees on new batts, that is worth far less.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is