Attempting my 1st DIY wind turbine, bare with me

Captain chunky
Captain chunky Registered Users Posts: 18
I purchased a MY1020 36vdc 500w motor for 20$ on craiglist, works great. Now I need to figure out how to mount hub, blades, will i need a arbor for the hub? I Have recently set up solar and am very into this earth energy thing. So is the pocket ;)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Attempting my 1st DIY wind turbine, bare with me

Welcome to the forum Capt. Chunky.

Here are some links/forums that may be a better source of information for your wind project. We (/me) do not do a lot of details for DIY wind turbines:

Wind Power Links
    www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

Personally, I am not a big fan of small wind... I think it tends to be more expensive (~60 foot tower minimum for serious wind system, concrete pads, wiring/controllers), less predictable than sun, and generally more work needed to keep them running.

Before you spend too much money on your project, make sure you have enough wind, high enough tower plan, costs for tower, the equipment to raise/lower the turbine, and prepared to do the required DIY/maintenance.

My usual recommendation is to start with an off grid solar power system (if that is what you need) and get it going first (and possible genset, if needed). Once the solar charging+battery bank+AC converter are stable, then look at wind to make up for winter/dark-stormy days.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Captain chunky

That's actually what I'm doing, I have my 100w panel up and running,100ah deep cycle, 30a CC, 400w inverter, and bin running a pump for my aquaponic system since sat/4 days straight, 24hrs. Today is the second cloudy day and battery is down to 12.05. Lookin into the diy turbine for that extra winter boost. Thanks for the info! I'm hooked
  • Ks Solar
    Ks Solar Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭

I have considered wind here in Ks. Usually have lots of wind. Only problem here is my city has a "law" on the books for no wind turbines. Looks like you could benefit from another 2 or 300 watts solar to keep that battery happy. I need to add to mine too.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

You would have to turn that motor at over 800 rpm just to get to twelve volts. Look at the sites bill posted as there are many post of others with simular motors.
    gww
  • Captain chunky

Ok so i did some "more!" Homework and found plans for a DIY arbor for the shaft on the motor. Im going to order a nice hub and 3 blade wing set, but till it shows up I'll probably tinker with some pvc blades just cause I like the whole doin it yourself kinda thing, like Grandpa used to do.