Solar Panel Defroster

Aguarancher
Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
Has any panel mfg. ever considered incorporating a heat strip similar to the defroster in the rear window of a car? I know I have a heat strip for my well pipes and they have never frozen, although it’s 120v, but is low wattage and is thermostatically controlled. Just seems like it would help those in the colder climates.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Panel Defroster

It usually isn't necessary: if there's enough sun to produce power there's enough to melt ice.

I know MidNite for a time toyed with the idea of feeding current from batteries back through the PV to warm them up, but due to the complexity (no two systems alike) and insignificant need they never went ahead with the plan to incorporate the 'defrost' cycle in their controllers.

If you find it's really a problem for you it would be possible to wire up such a system specific to your array.

Merely putting heat tape around the edges won't do much because the glass is a poor conductor so the middle of the panel would still have to defrost naturally. I doubt any panel maker would consider it worthwhile to incorporate the heating either.
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I guess if the mfg. wanted to offer it as an option they could, but the world operates on ‘vanilla’ . thanks
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    I guess if the mfg. wanted to offer it as an option they could, but the world operates on ‘vanilla’ . thanks

Here is a panel manufacturer that is not vanilla......

http://www.szna-usa.com/

Reversing the thermal flow from a secondary heat source will defrost the panels.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Try making the angle of the panel steeper (gravity & ice sheets leave quicker) & have a way of adding in a insulation into the back so when sun light beams hits them they (glass & PV Emits ) are now warmer quicker rather than the cold from the Back side sucking the heat rays . In Valemont BC - 40- Plus below , works wonders .Just need to remove in the summer heat . Mine are Styrofoam with a tape in from behind .
    VT
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I tilt mine to the vertical for Winter. Sun is low in the sky, so any loss in power due to the panel not being in the "proper" tilt angle is overcome by no reduction in power due to snow or frost buildup, and is actually increased by the light reflected off the snow covered ground to the South of the panels.
    Having done things the "normal" way in Winter, then switching to vertical, I'll never go back to "normal"! Wouldn't even remotely consider it.
    I used to be stressing about the lost power due to snow cover, but those days are in the past.
  • E_Fellow
    E_Fellow Registered Users Posts: 3
    I tilt mine to the vertical for Winter. Sun is low in the sky, so any loss in power due to the panel not being in the "proper" tilt angle is overcome by no reduction in power due to snow or frost buildup, and is actually increased by the light reflected off the snow covered ground to the South of the panels.
    Having done things the "normal" way in Winter, then switching to vertical, I'll never go back to "normal"! Wouldn't even remotely consider it.
    I used to be stressing about the lost power due to snow cover, but those days are in the past.

Hey, what kind of a mounting system do you have?

I have an small off-grid system with a fixed mounted panel at the "proper" tilt on the roof. Being able to tilt it vertical for the winter is something I've been considering lately to avoid snow buildup and get better generation from the low sun.
  • creeky
    creeky Banned Posts: 31

My panels warm up quickly in the sun. Even at -30. If it snows I sweep the panels. Sometimes twice a day. I use an industrial squeegee from a big box. I think it was 8 bucks. I had the pole already for painting.

My panels are on dock hinges mounted to my solar shed. I have some pics on my blog. Look under solar shed. This allows me to change the angle by season. Summer is 30 degrees. Fall/Spring 45. And Winter 60. There is a substantial increase in power creation. In excess of 20% which surprised me (summer/winter comparison made in summer). And yes, there was a day when I put the angle at 47, ran into the shed, hey, 2 more watts, then 49, then 43 ... and then realized 2 watts on 720 watts incoming wasn't worth fiddling with. And the mounting system: 70 bucks for hinges, a few dollars for bolts, and two 10"x12' PT boards, very cheap.

Wayne, I have two sets of panels on two controllers. I'm going to put one set vertical this winter and see what happens. Great tip. Thx.
    Cdn_Vt. Jeez. I never thought of that. I'm putting that idea on the list. Might take me a few years...