Internal wiring of a panel

Options
2»

Comments

• Joe Bennett
    Joe Bennett Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Internal wiring of a panel

Here are a couple more photos of the panel and surrounding area.

Joe

th_IMG_4406.jpg

th_IMG_4407.jpg
  • Joe Bennett
    Options

Just wanted to know if anyone is having continuing problems seeing the photos I have been posting. They are all done exactly the same each time, so if you can see any, you should be able to see all. But, if people are having problems, I will try another method or two to see if I can fix any problems. Please let me know one way or another if you would. Thanks....

Joe
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Photos are looking A-OK for me.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

:? Photos? What Photos?

Just kidding, they come through just fine.

Wayne
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Options

Photos look great.

I didn't grasp intuitively how large your panel was, but now I do.  It's big enough to play ping-pong on!
  • Joe Bennett
    Options

Hey, that's a thought. Set up some lights around it, a net, and play night ping pong. Just wish it was not so heavy to move around, 107 lbs and awkward as all git out. Glad most people seem to be able to see the photos too. Thanks of the come backs....

Joe
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

NominclaturePlate.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

Joe,

I suspect you're seeing pretty realistic performance out of your module. Specifically, using PTC specs, which includes 68 F / 20 C ambient temperature, the [url=http://]California Energy Commission[/url] rating for your module is 269.3 W. Factoring in likely higher ambient temperature, which reduces Vmp, some diffusion from the damaged glass, and a less than optimal load, and your numbers appear to be in the right ball park.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Joe Bennett
    Options

I think your information and evaluation is most likely right on line. I thank you for it as it gives me more insight into just what I have onhand as far as the panel is concerned. The real world performance seems to indicate that the panel would be a useful addition to the project I want to power. Just need to come up with that MX60 I guess. Any thoughts or suggestions on that subject would be appreciated too. I am totally open to offers if anyone has a trade in mind....

Joe
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Solor cell (assuming silicon) looks like simply a forward biased diode. The sun energy creates a current source that, if not loaded will result in all the current going down the forward biased diode inherent to the cell. This creates an open circuit voltage at the voltage of forward biased diode of between 0.55 and 0.65 vdc. The amount the sun intensity, the greater the current and higher the diode voltage drop.

The trick is to load the diode to a point slightly below the voltage of the inherent diode conduction of the solar cell. These means the maximum yield will occur at about 0.4 to 0.5 vdc.

All this depends on temperature where the silicon diode has a -2.5 mV per degree C coefficient. The hotter the panel the lower Vt of the diode so the lower the maximum loaded voltage can be before the inherent diode of cell bleeds significant current. If you do not load the cell, all this energy goes into heating the solar cell. Since the cell is only about 18% efficient to start with, the cell won't get that much hotter then is does loaded. Think of it like the hood temp of a dark colored car in the sun.

Cool the cell and the loaded voltage can be raised to 0.7 v, yielding more power from the cell (with sun light)

Finally, put 72, or so of these in series and you have a 36 vdc solar panel.

Regards,
    RC
  • Joe Bennett
    Options

Not sure what this has to do with the subject, but thanks for the information....

Joe
  • Joe Bennett
    Options

The panel shown throughout this thread is available HERE if anyone is interested.

Joe