110v single phase to 220v split phase

I have a off grid hydro system that is supplemented by solar, in fall and winter when friends and family are visting I have to fire up the generator occasionally to get the batteries charged back up. Well the generator died a horrible death and instead of buying a new generator with 220v split phase I was was woundering if anyone knew where I could buy a 110v single phase to 220v split phase converter so I could use my small 2000w honda generator. My charge controller only excepts 220v for generator input.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 110v single phase to 220v split phase
    duneslayer wrote: »
    I have a off grid hydro system that is supplemented by solar, in fall and winter when friends and family are visting I have to fire up the generator occasionally to get the batteries charged back up. Well the generator died a horrible death and instead of buying a new generator with 220v split phase I was was woundering if anyone knew where I could buy a 110v single phase to 220v split phase converter so I could use my small 2000w honda generator. My charge controller only excepts 220v for generator input.
    A 110VAC to 220VAC "convertor" is what is usually called a transformer.
    Depending on how much power you need at 220V, you can use a variety of off the shelf 110 to 110 isolation transformers or if you want very high quality and do not mind the expense, Outback sells a nice autotransformer unit that can be wired for all sorts of 110 to 220 and vice versa conversions.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is a link to the Outback device that Inetdog was typing about:

http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-products/integration-hardware/item/autotransformer

Not cheap (you pay for copper):

Outback Power FW-X240 Auto Transformer

Outback Power PSX-240 Auto Transformer

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • duneslayer
    duneslayer Registered Users Posts: 2
    BB. wrote: »

Thank you. That really helped I will be ordering it monday.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been instances of smaller inverter generators, not being able to surge enough to "build the field" in transformers. My little 2Kw into a 3KVA transformer worked fine. Just a heads up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,