4 AWG wire in fronius plus 11kw inverter

Options
I'm seeing that if I want to run the exiting 60A from the inverter AC side for about 2 meters to the main service panel with copper threaded wire in conduit, I need AWG 4 wire. But I'm wondering about the feasability of getting an AWG4 wire into the inverter AC terminals. Has anyone done that?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Re: 4 AWG wire in fronius plus 11kw inverter

Here says 6 AWG is maximum size:

http://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-787B745F-57D118BF/fronius_usa/hs.xsl/2714_1483.htm
    Admissible conductor size (DC) No. 14-6 AWG

You would need an approved wire connection device to "down size" the 4 AWG to 6 AWG prior to connecting to the inverter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

6 AWG is sufficient to handle a 60 Amp load. That's probably why they made the terminals capable of connecting it. 2 meters is not very far. I wouldn't worry about trying to put 4 AWG in at all.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    6 AWG is sufficient to handle a 60 Amp load. That's probably why they made the terminals capable of connecting it. 2 meters is not very far. I wouldn't worry about trying to put 4 AWG in at all.
    But for those who are running longer distances (tens of meters or more) and really need to use 4 AWG or larger, keep in mind that you can splice a short piece of 6 AWG onto the end of your larger wires using a suitable crimp or screw connector and not have to worry about what will fit into the device terminals.
    As long as you need the large wire for voltage drop over a long run rather than for allowed current carrying capacity, there is no downside to that approach except perhaps a little extra local heating at the splice.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

11kW at 240 VAC is about 46 Amps maximum.
    6 AWG will handle that up to a distance of 190 feet before V-drop rises above 3%.

It is not likely to be a problem.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options

My mistake, 4 awg is fine for the ac output. 6 awg was dc input.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • quique
    quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
    Options

inetdog:
    You mean use a piece of awg6 just to make the awg4 wire fit into the terminal?

Caribocoot:
    Thanks
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    quique wrote: »
    inetdog:
    You mean use a piece of awg6 just to make the awg4 wire fit into the terminal?
    That is one way of putting it, yes. Connect the jumper wire solidly and insulate the connection point well.
    But more precisely you would not be making the awg4 wire fit into the terminal, you would be extending with a piece that would fit into the terminal. :)
    And bend more easily inside the case if that turns out to be important too.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I hate to buy anything I think is overpriced, but there is a time that I just go with the flow and eat one less Big Mac. A bad connection can cost you way more than the cost of these. I tried to resource them elsewhere, no joy.

2 & 4 gauge custom lugs. By the way , the price is for one each, not a pair.

You can also grind down a Anderson Connector lug and they will work, but they cost about the same.

http://www.thesolarbiz.com/Battery-Charger-Lugs-Custom-4-Gauge
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Use this, cant go wrong.

Since a 46 amps is best case scenario and we know how rarely the best case scenario ever delivers with anything solar you likely will be fine with 8ga wire.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.