RV grounding

Options
i building a 4x4 rv truck on a 9000 KG Hino truck
i have 6 x 200watt 24v solar panels on the roof going through 2 x 30 Amp blue sea systems 2 pole brakers
a morning star mppt 60 Amp charge controller
a Victron Multiplus 230v 5000 kva 120 amp charger inverter
4 x 6v US batterys L16 390 amp

now the inverter and solar controller have a earth
can i connect this earth to my main negative terminal

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: RV grounding

It appears you have 2 strings of panels and are using the 30 amp breakers for disconnects? They are likely, not the correct size for the strings, probably 15 amp would be the correct size.

On a truck, I would likely just float the system, more knowledgeable people here, might suggest other options, but a proper earth ground doesn't sound like an option unless the truck is immobile.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Or was your question if you can connect the solar power (battery bus) negative to your truck chassis (ground). Yes--You can.

Note that a 5kWatt inverter is a very large inverter for your battery bank (around 780 AH @ 12 volts). Typically, the maximum inverter I would suggest is around ~2kWatt maximum.

While you can can use the truck chassis for your solar power system ground--You should use cables for + and - wiring for your larger power items (your 5kW inverter could draw as much as ~560 Amps @ 12 VDC if you draw full power).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, it pays to remember what the purpose of dc side grounding is. Its there in the event of cable or equip damage that might bring one of the current carrying conductors shorted to something metalic in the system. We are most worried about PV side shorts to chasis in an rv application. With a dc neg to chasis bond, this event would quickly blow a breaker to immediately notify the failure, and not leave the pv hot (which might be 120V say) exposed for an unknown period waiting for someone to unwittingly touch it. Those can be fairly obscure kinds of damage scenarios but when things go pear shaped they can do so dramatically, and in a cascading chain.

In Rvs you do need to use lots of conduit and cable protection precisely because of the myriad of sharp pentrations and what not. If you are 100% confident in your pv conduits, and your pv voltage is on the lower side, then floating the dc side is also acceptable in my view.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    We are most worried about PV side shorts to chasis in an rv application. With a dc neg to chasis bond, this event would quickly blow a breaker to immediately notify the failure

What breaker would blow? PV panels should not be able to produce enough current to trip their own breakers.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    What breaker would blow? PV panels should not be able to produce enough current to trip their own breakers.

--vtMaps
    Except in the situation where all but one of the panel strings gang up to send reverse current through one defective string.
    Even in that case only the single string breaker feeding the combiner will blow.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • down under plumber
    down under plumber Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options

thanks 4 the replies
    i used 30 amps breakers as mainly disconnects yes the panels are in 2 strings
    was my maths wrong i was expecting max 56 Amps out of the panels
    ok should i have a fuse between the panels & controller ?
    i no the inverter is large but the batteries r coping so far but it not finished yet i can ad a gen later if needed the inverter has a 120 amp (charger)
    sorry what does float mean ?
    the solar goes to the main - negative truck (chassis)
    the batteries and breaker panel -(negative) go to the main - negative truck (chassis)
    so where do i put the earth (ground) from the chassis of the inverter & controller
    1 do i run it to a RCD
    2 do i run it to the truck chassis
    in the photo its the terminal bottom left of the photo
    Attachment not found.
  • zoneblue
    Options

Vt, yeah your right. But having earthed the chasis, a PV hot to chasis short, would drag the voltage down, pretty much to zero. Effect is the same.

On the battery side, sure it would blow, but then those voltages arent generally considered a shock hazzard.

• zoneblue
    Options

That inverter is a real nice bit of kit. I just looked and victron appear to have an active marketing presence here in NZ as well.
    See http://victronenergy.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_60_76&product_id=96 Probably the main handbrake to more widespread adoption is the price, with Outback landing here a bit cheaper.
    thanks 4 the replies
    i used 30 amps breakers as mainly disconnects yes the panels are in 2 strings
    was my maths wrong i was expecting max 56 Amps out of the panels
    ok should i have a fuse between the panels & controller ?

Sounds to me like you need to slow up a bit. The questions your asking indicate you have a bit more homework to do before your install will be a robust and safe one. First thing id do is order a midnite MNDC disconnect. It has all the right breakers you need already installed. They might also make a epanel for victron, i am not sure,dont think so. The beuty of using a disconnect is it safely houses all the dangerous unfused bits, out of harms way.
    i no the inverter is large but the batteries r coping so far but it not finished yet i can ad a gen later if needed the inverter has a 120 amp (charger)

Well its not like you are using GC2s. But... peak draw from the inverter will be: 5000W / 23V * 1/0.88 = 250A. Double that under surge. Generally we say that flooded lead acid banks are good for 0.25C for longer duration discharges (which in your case is 100A), but it does depend on the battery concerned. For short duration they can handle 3C or so, but the efficiency falls right off, which means the banks capacity will become real small at those kind of rates. Fact is, youre mobile with limited charging sources, so you are obviously going to have use this (and any) inverter judiciously.

In case that isnt clear look at it this way: at 250A, the real capacity of your bank will be more like 200Ah. Start with a full batterry, run the inverter at 5kW and it will reach 50% DOD in 24 minutes, and by 40 odd minutes it will be completely flat.

The other factor is tare loss. That inverter clocks in at 25W which for an inverter of its size is really very good. 6W in search. However just note that 25W @ 24/7 amounts to 600Wh, which is around one quarter of your total production, and enough to power a decent fridge. In comparison the victron 3000W and 1600W models uses 10W/15W. Superb.
    sorry what does float mean ?

[strike]Float is when the charge controller has completed the bulk and absorb stages and considers the bank charged. It charges at a lower voltage to maintain the bank, and support your loads.[/strike]
    Edit: Float means neither neg nor pos are gounded. Low voltage systems, 12V and the like often run this way. In some situations there are advantages to doing this.
    the solar goes to the main - negative truck (chassis)
    the batteries and breaker panel -(negative) go to the main - negative truck (chassis)
    so where do i put the earth (ground) from the chassis of the inverter & controller

You should run a single earth point. The MNDC has a earth bus for this purpose. However in the first instance the pv neg, the inverter neg, and the controller neg should all run to the neg bus. Then if you decide to earth bond the dc side, or use a GFI device, then you do that between the neg and ground buses.

Yeah, these installs are kind of involved... Do you have a mate that can help you out with this install at all? Looks like someones crimped you up some nice looking cables and what not.
    1 do i run it to a RCD
    2 do i run it to the truck chassis
    in the photo its the terminal bottom left of the photo

The AC side is another matter altogther. I suggest you concentrate on the DC side first, and get that right. Batterys are suprisingly dangerous, and a good clean install is your goal there. Lots of conduit, tidy cable management, and all the required proper industry std DC rated breakers in all the right places. (Blueseas gear is OK, but doesnt really belong in a sytsem like yours. Check out midnites line of breakers. They are pretty cheap, and have huge interupt capacity, which is what allows off gridders to sleep at night.

Then we can come back and deal with the AC side. Youll also will want to get a sparky to oversee the AC side, if you want to get your RV electrical warrant of fitness. For a couple hours "sign off" its cheap peace of mind.

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options

Auzi plumber asked "Float " for the grounding connection! Not Floating of the charge controller I believe ..

AND THERE LAYS THE PROBLEM !!! Is the inverter @ 230V AC needing A ground also , or can you let it "Float"?? What I read so far on this thread , there was a ground connection question.

Don't know if the 230V AC would have the same effect of a goof UP I did and then let all the smoke out.
    I NOW KNOW how not to do that . A goof that was to late.

VT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~In the posted pix
    PS , those to main battery cables being so close make me be real careful around HUGE MELTING if ever shorted.
  • zoneblue
    Options

Very similar reasoning occurs on the ac side. As you have seen the scenarios that negative and neutral to earth bonding are designed to protect against from are quite obscure. On the AC side, to get a belt off an unearthed AC line something like the following would have to occur.

1. Appliance A shorts hot to (metal) case. Goes undetected.
    2. Appliance B shorts neutral to (metal) case. Goes undetected.
    3. User reaches across (possibly large distance), and grabs a hold of both appliances.

Metal cases appliances are less and less as time goes on, being replaced with double insulation. Nonetheless netrual-earth bonding is the law of the land and wiser men than i made it that way, probably for on balance good reasons. Just because an RV isnt actual earth grounded, doesnt change all of the logic involved, but you will need to check what the regulations are in your country.

Heres a diagram i made on the midnite forum:
    http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1775.msg17446#msg17446

RCDs are new devices and are effectively another layer of protection, against appliance and wiring faults.

On an RV you have additional vibration/movement concerns, and having immediate notifiction , via either a fuse pop, or rcd trip, of any short is really useful and possibly lifesaving.

Of course alot of people get away with plugging things straight into outlets that are on the (mobile) inverter itself, and this is only safe with a single appliance. Once you get into double adapters you are back into the worry area as above. Some inverters have RCDs inside and may or may not help there.

However Rv grounding has other issues. Like the changes that occur when connected to shore power. You are then (possibly) real earth grounded as well. While you are inside and untethered to shore power your chasis is your earth. Things can go pear shaped when you step off the rv onto the ground holding the rail. Things can also go horribly pear shaped when tethered to a faulty shore power connection. Im no expert there, but there is a comprehensive FAQ on this forum on the matter.

So when in doubt seek expert advice.

• CDN_VT
    Options

Zone Blue
    Your RCD's (residual current device)
    are what we in North America call a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter ) Breaker or receptacle type with built in tester.

Looking at the picture in midnight forum , Seeing Red as hot , black as also hot in my English home , and green for ground.

So now your asking the black hot to be a neutral and is the same potential as Ground ?

Here in NA split phase center neutral is bonded to ground in "Most" Fuse / circuit Breaker boards .

So your one red "HOT" wire is 230VAC to ground / return black wire now since 2003 ? And the 3 double wide are the RCD's with the orange test half moon push test? Whats the other double breaker ?

VT
  • down under plumber
    Options

i no the inverter is large i trying to fit another bank of battery's but at 200kg there are heavy and large
    i have run all the cable myself
    i will have a electrician sign off the RV
    there is a lot of sun in Oz :cool:
    in the photo
    top row left to right remote battery switch RCD output from inverter RCD input from shore power left side solar panels right side solar panels
    main cucirt braker panel AC / DC
    radio ,tank and battery gauge Dep marine (Kiwi) 60 AMP MPPT controller Panel
    USB twin outlets 240v GPO
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
  • down under plumber
    Options

for safely i have used white for 240v + (hot)
    i think i will change the Black wire off the Ground to green in the inverter photo bottom left corner
    does the Blue sea systems wiring photo seem right
  • zoneblue
    Options

In the south pacific, phase/hot was changed from red to brown some years back. Neutral went from black to blue. This was because color blind sparkys cant distinguish red and green. Earth is now green with a yellow stripe.

Prior to 2003 RCDs were only fitted ,optionally, to bathrooms and the like. They are now required for the whole house, and 63amp models are readily available for that.

That board uses several rcd circuits with their own neg buses. The red double pole item in that board is the main switch.

NZ/AU plastic stuff must look as odd to you as your metal square d split phase stuff does to us.

CDN_VT wrote: »
    Zone Blue
    Your RCD's (residual current device)
    are what we in North America call a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter ) Breaker or receptacle type with built in tester.

Looking at the picture in midnight forum , Seeing Red as hot , black as also hot in my English home , and green for ground.

So now your asking the black hot to be a neutral and is the same potential as Ground ?

Here in NA split phase center neutral is bonded to ground in "Most" Fuse / circuit Breaker boards .

So your one red "HOT" wire is 230VAC to ground / return black wire now since 2003 ? And the 3 double wide are the RCD's with the orange test half moon push test? Whats the other double breaker ?

VT

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

That is why. Always wondered. Male red green color blindness.

Had the corporate fold folks find our website for engineering documentations change the color scheme into a weird clash of colors.

100+year old company went bankrupt a few years later. To many non-value add people not looking at the company cl costs?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CDN_VT
    Options

Thank You Zoneblue for the explanation . Now looking at the picture in depth & after your post I see the flow and the RCD buss.

I have never seen a Board so neat in any Square D or FPE style as your posted pix.

Thanks again .
    VT