LFP or LifePo4: questions about using

Options

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: LFP or LifePo4: questions about using

Name, number, links to questions asked is fine.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • creeky
    creeky Banned Posts: 31
    Options
    Actually your batteries probably do not go to -17C if they are in use. Ambient temperature is not the same as internal battery temperature. Keeping batteries warm is pretty easy for a set that are either being discharged or charged.

I'm afraid you are making an assumption. And it is, as assumptions often are, incorrect.

The ambient outdoor temp was -26C that night (not much charge/discharge going on) and I saw those kinds of temps for the week previous. The -17C reading was taken by the Morningstar RTS. Said gauge may have some inaccuracies ... but ... my batteries are surrounded by R30 insulation and the box is pretty much the same temp as the batteries. Perhaps in your climate it is easy to keep batteries warm.

So now you understand why I am interested in batteries that handle temperature extremes.

Note: The winter of 2012 was milder than 2013, where I recorded weeks at -30 and a record low night time temperature of -35 C.
  • creeky
    Options

Thanks everyone for your interest in this battery technology. I see there are many readers.
    Nice point on disposal. I also understand some of the mfcts/sales recycle and/or refurbish the cells.
    If I could point out:
    That initial massive capital expenditure scares people right off.

$3350 is hardly a massive capital investment. Your statement is inaccurate (he says, putting away his cow barn shovel ;)).

The system I have pointed to includes BMS, rack, and fuse/disconnect. Plug and play. Engineering done. Diy amounts to attaching your charger and inverter cables. Reprogramming your solar controller.

From what I've read, it appears almost any good quality controller can be programmed to charge LFP batteries. I am contacting the battery provider about their recommended solar charge settings.

PNJunction and Reed. Could you share the solar controller/charging settings you use with us?

PNJunction. About how much power I use: I modify my behaviour based on the amount of power I have. During the cloudy months I minimize my energy use (no microwave, limited TV, limited internet). Part of the reason I'm so interested in improving the black hole of FLA. (Typically in 1500-2500 watt range). In the summer of course, tonnes of sunshine, yesterday, by example, I "used" 4610 watts of solar. Charged my batteries, did laundry, used the dishwasher, watched a movie on the big screen...). Daily solar used is around 3290w avg. for the last 30 days. Today its been cloudy, the next three days are the same. I'm limiting my appliance use.

Sorry, but I'm new to this forum and have yet to figure out how the threads and posts and what not work. If there are fewer posts, well it's an easier more relevant read.

Note: I have found many LFP experiences in posts from Australia. And I wish I read German better.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I made no assumption. I said "probably", as most people confuse ambient with battery temperature.

You have a problem all right, but LiFePo won't solve it; not at those temperatures. Batteries are electro-chemical reactions and are affected by temperature regardless of the exact chemistry involved. LiFePo less so than lead-acid, but with the batteries reaching that low the chemistry change isn't going to help.

In short you need to redesign your battery storage so that they do not sink that low if you expect either type to give you reasonable performance in Winter. You need to get some heat fed into that box.

My climate, btw, is just as cold. Between the elevation and the latitude -40 is not unfamiliar around here.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I also understand some of the mfcts/sales recycle and/or refurbish the cells.
    If I could point out:
    Please do point it out. Who ??

I had a guy with some 700, A123 pouch cells ask me about it, they were all blown out on the sides. I had no answers but to ask my local guy. I do lead acid every week @ $.31 a lb for wet lead.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    creeky wrote: »
    $3350 is hardly a massive capital investment. Your statement is inaccurate (he says, putting away his cow barn shovel ;)).

NOTE: Anyone who thinks $3350 isn't massive can send me their spare change. :D

Note: I have found many LFP experiences in posts from Australia. And I wish I read German better.

Y'know mate, them blokes down under may sound a bit odd but it really is English.
  • Reed
    Reed Solar Expert Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Options

They speak 'Strine' in Australia and it only slightly resembles English. They do spell the words honour and colour in the English format. We replaced the 1st RAR in 173rd Abn in 1966 and I had an Aussie SAS platoon sgt as instructor at MACV Recondo School Class 03 in November.

I think he speaks of reading German because they are pushing solar further than the US.

$3500 is scarcely massive compared to the cost of a house and a large solar array. One chooses where to save and where to spend. If one chooses to spend their funds on trivial pursuits and not save for more meaningful uses, well that is just fine. And if one saves their funds to develop their home further, that is also just fine.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Reed wrote: »
    $3500 is scarcely massive compared to the cost of a house and a large solar array.

Maybe where you live. The world isn't the same all over. Some of us have very small incomes to manage and we know about value all too well.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How about a name and number. I'd like to know the shipping requirements and get that free offer in writing.

It's not a service to ship in and recycle, it's a service for their customers, Want something for nothing, I'll send you some rubber biscuits....

Company is Battery Outfitters.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    It's not a service to ship in and recycle, it's a service for their customers, Want something for nothing, I'll send you some rubber biscuits....

Company is Battery Outfitters.
    I don't need Rubber Biscuits !!! I responded to your post of someone that recycled Lithium batteries for " Gratis " . Now the story changes. It's not a recycler, it's a store front battery store.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options
    From what I've read, it appears almost any good quality controller can be programmed to charge LFP batteries. I am contacting the battery provider about their recommended solar charge settings.

First, you MUST disable temperature-compensation which comes with most quality CC controllers designed for lead. Then, depending on how conservative you want to go, an absorb value anywhere from 13.8 - 14.2 is safe. Some of us prefer to use the lower end, 13.8 - 14.0, whereas those like Genasun, use 14.2v. I, like some others feel that is just a tad too high for naked-cells. You can finish absorb or not - it's up to you. Finishing absorb usually nets you little extra capacity, so many of us skip it.

Those driving external balancing circuits will usually have to take them up to 14.5 - 14.6v in order for the bleed off circuitry to kick in.
    PNJunction and Reed. Could you share the solar controller/charging settings you use with us?

Reed and I differ in our setups. I'm only running 12v batteries. I personally never take any cell higher than 3.5v (14v on the battery) and don't have any balance issues of any practical major proportion. I have an external lvd set for 12.8v with a small timer. A hard lvd for me would be about 12.5v (3.125v per cell) for the oh-crap moments if I should forget. My CC or ac charger serves as the hvd. You see references to not going below 2.5v, but that is that start of catastrophic damage. Give yourself some headroom with 3.1v lvd or so.

IMPORTANT: If your cells start to drop into the deep discharge knee out of the flat area, like at 12.8v (just below 3.2v ), you should bring them back up to this point SLOWLY with no more than 0.1C current, whereupon you can apply higher currents when you get out of the knee. This will be quick usually, but the inability to control charge current to no more than 0.1C when below 3.2v per cell by most solar controllers means you shouldn't drop much below 12.8v overall in the first place. Some EV'ers that drag their battery down to 90% DOD or more, and apply full-charge current at that low a level risk swelling and eventual failure.

There is no need to float lifepo4. If you can't disable it, drop it to something benign, like 13.6v (3.4v cell), where after a full charge, this float value will have no current behind it. It may also serve as a parastic-load catch prior to draining your battery down to the lvd in case of neglect. Long-term study of this low-voltage, no current float affect has not been done to my knowledge, and only consists of anecdotal stories. So far, I've seen no harm when my Samlex charger drops to float / no current. Not that I want to leave it that way, so I pull it off, but don't freak out about it.

I'll have to let you do the math for this. You know that you can operate the cells from 0-80% DOD. There is no peukert effect to speak of, so you can draw nearly any current you like to that point. I would still suggest no more than 50% DOD to give yourself some autonomy or unexpected load capability. Or anything in between.

The big problem for you is that the *reasonable* operating range of lifepo4 is from 0C / 32F to 60C / 140F. You may be able to go colder, but with limited current. I have no first-hand experience with that, but know that when real cold, you do NOT want to hammer lifepo4 with heavy recharge current. Essentially, the intercalation slows down, receptivity sites are clogged, a "traffic jam" of ions occurs in the electrolyte, and now bad news on your hands.

Tell you what - if anyone wants to see safe and sane specs for charging coming from other than the battery manufacturer or internet forum chat, look up the Tecmate-Optimate Lithium 5A charger manual available online. Although intended primarily for powersports users, (I used it to initially balance and TEST my larger prismatic GBS batteries), the information contained within the manual is invaluable. It may also be one reason it is recommended by a few powersports guys like Antigravity, EarthX etc. It is always nice to get a second opinion. When I saw that they operate much the way I do, I added it to my battery maintenance toolchest. They are also much more than a CC/CV charger, but enough about that. The main thing is that the manual has some very important information in general.
  • Reed
    Options

Enjoyed PNJunctions writing. Our BMS does automatically what he does by eye. Either the system came from the fabricator in agreement with PNJunction or our son set the system the same as PNJunction

The BMS that come with the battery banks from Banqon, Manzanita etc are designed specifically for LFP.

Maximum bank voltage is 62.6 V (3.9V per cell)
    Absorb is 57.6 V for our 48 V nominal system (3.6 V per cell)
    Float is 54.4 V (3.4 V per cell)
    Cutoff alert is 49.6V (3.1V per cell)

So there are apparently hard and fast rules on the voltages on these cells. Our BMS is set to do this automatically as I would suppose the BMS that Balqon utilizes as well. The only thing I have differed (our son's opinions actually) with PN is our buying a "drop-in" system with BMS and his DIY (do it yourself) approach with no BMS. He likes to DIY and we like to leave it alone with monitoring.

Still trying to see if there is interest in thread(s) from folks who have experience, positive or otherwise, with LFP. Got one really negative response from an Aussie who wrote "...Threads on Lithium batteries only cause hassles and besides there is a lot of rubbish being pushed by people who have no experience but have read all about lithiums on Google but cant differentiate between LiFePo4 and LiPO. My suggestion is leave it alone on any forum in Australia as there is a group who love pushing their barrow but have now experience and amply display it to any who have experience in using the lIfePo4 batteries..."

Just another genial idiot who did not read what the OP (me) requested but had to go onto his own diatribe.

Right now it looks like it is just the three of us, Ron Jones, the Technomadia folks and all of the folks owning the $1.8 M and up Liberty Lady Coaches (who obviously also do not know what they are doing).

Reed
  • BB.
    Options
    Reed wrote: »
    Right now it looks like it is just the three of us, Ron Jones, the Technomadia folks and all of the folks owning the $1.8 M and up Liberty Lady Coaches (who obviously also do not know what they are doing).

Batteries are really terrible this way--You know what you are doing until they fail. Then you try to figure out if it is your fault, the kids coming by for a visit, an equipment failure, or something went wrong at the factory two+ years ago.

Again, personally, I think a well designed/maintained system will work very well with LiFePO4 batteries. And that BMS (Battery monitoring/balance systems) vs Photowhit's manual check/balance are probably going to give similar results.

Automation to protect against operator error is usually a good thing. But cell balance on a LiFePO4 bank as used for off grid homes, PW's discussion is pretty persuasive that the automation is not really needed for solar power systems. And the complexity of BMS per cell makes it pretty expensive/complex--Which has its own drawbacks.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I priced LFP here and it was 6K delivered, for the same effective stored capacity we have which cost 2.5K in AGM.

How LFP can solve your cold problem is real easy. They are small and dont vent, so put them inside. You can stack them anyway you want. Problem solved.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• creeky
    Options

Again. Thank you PNJunction and Reed.
    Now we're getting somewhere.

zoneblue. your battery capacity (24vx400amp/hr) in LFP is 3350 in the US delivered. I know! This is what I'm discovering. The times they are a'changing. And you mention on your website you got a great deal, what 1/2 price on your batteries. so ...

So if you lived in the US what would you get by way of your extra 1000 bucks. You say you're expecting at least: "3200 10% cycles 1500 50% cycles" for your AGMs. For LFP that would be 7000 cycles at 20% (double the lifespan, double the useable power) and 5000 cycles at 50%. At 50% you are getting 3 times the livespan. This is why I brought this post up. More watts over a longer lifespan. PLUS bonus: you get better temp handling and no off gassing.

Even at 6k at triple the lifespan you are saving money with LFP.

LFP have been tested, by many agencies in the US, China, Germany and Australia and these numbers have been confirmed. I've seen multiple tests at 100% dod with 2000 cycles and 80% capacity remaining. You will not be able to do that with lead acid.

Blackcherry04. These a123 batteries can be dropped off at most Lowes / home depot / radio shack / best buy. Just put them in the rechargeable battery recycle bin. Sorry. No .31 cents a pound.
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    Blackcherry04. These a123 batteries can be dropped off at most Lowes / home depot / radio shack / best buy. Just put them in the rechargeable battery recycle bin. Sorry. No .31 cents a pound.
    All 700 of them on 2 pallets, they are all blown out on the sides of the Envelopes and leaking electrolyte. I have my doubts you guys know what a pouch battery is.

Thats where you think you can drop off your Balqon cells for re-cycle ??

That about as loony as the Rubber Biscuit man.
  • BB.
    Options

As much as I liked them as a kid--:

RadioShack Bankruptcy Filing Could Be Near

A History of Misses for RadioShack

Recycling Li batteries may not be "popular" as a business proposition:

http://www.waste-management-world.com/articles/print/volume-12/issue-4/features/the-lithium-battery-recycling-challenge.html
    OEMs are looking at overcoming the dependency on lithium through reuse of lithium batteries in other applications (second-life) and through recycling the batteries once they have completed their lifecycle. However, it does not make any economic sense to recycle the batteries. Batteries contain only a small fraction of lithium carbonate as a percent of weight and are inexpensive compared to cobalt or nickel. The average lithium cost associated with Li-ion battery production is less than 3% of the production cost. Intrinsic value for the Li-ion recycling business currently comes from the valuable metals such as cobalt and nickel that are more highly priced than lithium. Due to less demand for lithium and low prices, almost none of the lithium used in consumer batteries is completely recycled.

Recycled lithium is as much as five times the cost of lithium produced from the least costly brine based process. It is not competitive for recycling companies to extract lithium from slag, or competitive for the OEMs to buy at higher price points from recycling companies. Though lithium is 100% recyclable, currently, recycled lithium reports to the slag and is currently used for non-automotive purposes, such as construction, or sold in the open-markets. However, with the increasing number of EVs entering the market in the future and with a significant supply crunch, recycling is expected to be an important factor for consideration in effective material supply for battery production.

And, I guess, this is after lithium has already gone up by 3x in the last decade...

I guess we are going to see the "tire dump/fire" equivalent of lithium batteries if something does not happen (via government) soon.

-Bill
  • Reed
    Options

If one is really interested in how LFP is accepted in the boating community, go to Cruiser Forums

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/

And then to Electrical:batteries/solar subforum. These folks are five years ahead of everyone else in LFP feel like someone from the Stone Age seeing an automobile running down the road fo the first time (and seeing my first road).

The primary argument regarding cost is economy of scale: if you are a real cruiser (anchor wherever and seldom use marinas and are full timing), then LFP makes sense. If you spend your time hooked into Marinas, then it doesn't.

Of course, boat folks have money, as in, a pleasure boat is "a hole in the water into which you keep throwing money!" attributed to Commodore Lipton around 1890 but has probably been in use since folks first started using dugout canoes and coracles.

Reed and Elaine
  • PNjunction
    Options

Prior to disposal, one should totally discharge the battery. You have effectively "de-lithiated" it, so no more lithium. Mark it as "bad" or "do not recharge" as the cell has been purposely abused for this purpose, and attempts to recharge them are now going to cause problems for dumpster divers. Parasitic reactions at total discharge, especially for a period of time, eats away the battery internally.

All that's left after a total discharge is plastic, graphite, copper, aluminum, and some inorganic solvent in the small amount of electrolyte. The lithium, as such, is for the most part gone after a total discharge.

Any attempt to discharge them, put them in salt water, wrap in towels, bury underground, and perform various witches spells over them mean that one is looking at the hobby / toy model industry, which are not using lifepo4, but a different chemistry.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    PNjunction wrote: »
    The lithium, as such, is for the most part gone after a total discharge.

Really? Where does it go?

And let's all try to remember that in a stationary application the energy density advantage is not significant. Also that the claimed life cycles have yet to be proven in an RE application.

But don't give up hope nor assume that there is no future for LiFePo. If more people can stand the capital cost then more real data relevant to RE will be generated, resulting in not only a more accurate database of what to expect but better management and lower initial costs.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Hey guys!

Am I going to have to shut this LiFePo thread down too and bar all discussion of the topic because it's generating too much 'religious fervor' and bad sentiment?

I really would not want to have to do that. But if it can't stay civil it can't stay.
  • PNjunction
    Options

Actually it is all pulled away from the anode. Remember that this is lithium-iron-phosphate, not pure lithium. Not sure there is enough of the phosphate to be profitable for recycling. Other materials perhaps.

I'll let Professor Jay Whitacre from Carnegie Mellon explain it as he did to a group of those who were using the old Thundersky lifepo4 cells.
    http://www.ri.cmu.edu/video_view.html?video_id=60&menu_id=387

His li-ion batteries powers nasa vehicles, and now is part of Aquion. Different chemistry.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Actually it is all pulled away from the anode. Remember that this is lithium-iron-phosphate, not pure lithium. Not sure there is enough of the phosphate to be profitable for recycling. Other materials perhaps.

I'll let Professor Jay Whitacre from Carnegie Mellon explain it as he did to a group of those who were using the old Thundersky cells.

His batteries powers nasa vehicles, and now is part of Aquion. Different chemistry.

Unfortunately as far as environmentalists are concerned its still in the package. I doubt they'll care beyond that.

Funny how naturally-occurring elements can be so deadly if they're in the wrong place. But that's what it boils down to, whether you're talking about uranium or oxygen.
  • PNjunction
    Options

This is not pure lithium, but a slightly, much more environmentally friendly element - that of lithium-iron-phosphate. That iron-rich friendliness is the reason it has such a low energy density and hence has to be much larger for most applications. It is not like Lithium-cobalt! In either case, we are never dealing with pure lithium, which would be disastrous.

If one wants to take it even further into the electrolyte, then GBS cells run environmentally friendly electrolyte too - sacrificing some top-end performance that hard-core EV racers might want from other manufacturers.

There is no reason to be scared of lifepo4. Just because it has the word lithium in it, doesn't make it a monster because it is a derivative, and not pure. There is nothing to fear from properly recycled lead acid batteries either. But, given the choice between the two that might end up in a landfill, I'll take lifepo4 any day. And yes, way off-topic. :)
  • karrak
    karrak Solar Expert Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll let Professor Jay Whitacre from Carnegie Mellon explain it as he did to a group of those who were using the old Thundersky lifepo4 cells.

Many thanks for the link, I hadn't seen this before.

Very good and accessible explanation about LiFePO4 batteries. Certainly shows that the devil is in the detail, and that all batteries and manufacturers are not the same.

Thanks!
    Off-Grid with LFP (LiFePO4) battery, battery Installed April 2013
    32x90Ah Winston cells 2p16s (48V), MPP Solar PIP5048MS 5kW Inverter/80A MPPT controller/60A charger, 1900W of Solar Panels
    modified BMS based on TI bq769x0 cell monitors.
    Homemade overall system monitoring and power management  https://github.com/simat/BatteryMonitor

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

At ~ 20 minutes in he makes a reference to car safety and battery fires, interesting, but just a reference to a plastic like seperators no specifics...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • PNjunction
    Options

While the class is primarily intended for those students of lifepo4, he does branch out into generics of other chemistries, like LiCo02, which we don't use at all. It is also a favorite among EV'ers to disect to prove their own point of view with religious fervor, hanging onto syllables for meaning. What they miss entirely is to just use a common-sense approach and one should do fine. Going overboard with hobbiest related ideals may prove to be technically correct, but impractical in the long run. Much like obsessing if you should use 14.4 or 14.4555v in absorb for agm. :)

The quality of the separator is important, and just like lead-acid manufacturers, there can be variables in manufacturing quality. That is one reason to stick with the major players, like GBS, CALB, Winston, Sinopoly, Balqon, Hi-Power. But we won't know how well their separators stack up for another 10 years. :)

Another class by Prof Jeffrey Dahn at Dalhousie U goes deeper into the study of the electrolyte itself, along with heat-related issues, the fallacy of repetetive cycle-testing, and together with Jay Whitacre's class, one can get a real education:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qi03QawZEk

For me, the biggest take-away from both of these is that keeping the charge voltage low (like 13.8 to 14.0) and letting it absorb (or not), is better than constantly driving these cells to 14.4 to 14.6 to satisfy the needs of the external cell-balancers, even though technically you might be within spec. What may be waiting for us is the sudden-death syndrome down the road due to electrolyte oxidation, exacerbated by both high-heat, time, and high voltage. THAT is why I run mine conservatively.

Always keep in mind however that we are using the least energy-dense version, lifepo4. Many fires from lifepo4 are not due directly to the battery itself, but to the infrastructure connected to it with poor wiring, high-resistance/loose connections etc. Unfortunately, that is used to denigrate the technology of the battery itself.

It is much like the turn of the last century, where those with horse-drawn vehicles quickly point out how lead-acid technology in the new-fangled electric vehicles which may have caught fire blame the battery, and not the owner's own abusive charging / lack of maintenance which set his infrastructure on fire. And in the case of NiFE, which was (and still is!) a far more advanced version of lead-acid, was an expensive investment to lose.
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options

Watched that which led me to the UltraBattery® from the engineers at Ecoult and the EastPenn Manufacturing Co. buy out.

In case this is new to anyone else, UltraBattery® is a hybrid, long-life lead-acid energy storage device. It combines the fast charging rates and longevity of an ultracapacitor technology with the energy storage potential of a lead-acid battery technology in a hybrid device with a single common electrolyte.

Exciting stuff. time to buy some shares in EastPenn Manufacturing along with Tesla Motors.
  • PNjunction
    Options
    Alaska Man wrote: »
    Watched that which led me to the UltraBattery® from the engineers at Ecoult and the EastPenn Manufacturing Co. buy out.

Interesting. When you get your hands on one, let us know how it goes. :) You had me until I saw the sales / investor pitch. Maybe a separate thread would be the better solution.

When I talk about lifepo4, I do so generically, from established competing companies, like GBS, CALB, Winston, Sinopoly, Hi-Power as some of the major players. I dislike single-vendor, locked-in solutions and prefer the amount of choice one has with lifepo4 - and also the ability to get them next-day if you need them that badly.

At any rate, I'd hate to see this thread diluted with vaporware batteries, those available only to OEM's, the hundreds of improvements in labs of all chemistries "available any day now" and most especially investor pitching. But that's me. :)
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since 1990 there is no metallic lithium contained in lithium ion or lithium iron phosphate cells. The lithium exists in the form of lithium oxides (or phosphates) in the cathode, and as lithium salts as part of the electrolyte. Neither are flamable per se. That wasnt always the case, and there were interesting incidents/recalls with earlier cells that contained pure metallic lithium (for its energy density). See http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_ion_safety_concerns

Its my understanding that currently the primary hazzard with Lithium ion cells is the electrolyte carrier, which is a flamable organic solvent (read "petrol" like). They are working on replacements for the carrier. See http://chargedevs.com/newswire/researchers-find-new-non-flammable-electrolyte-for-li-ion-batteries/

The electrolyte carrier in LifePo4 is more or less the same stuff, ethylene carbonate etc. The cheif difference is that the electrochemistry of lifepo4 (because ot the phosphate) go into thermal runaway at quite a lot higher temperatures like 300C, compared with lithium cobalt derivitives. Hence they are less likely to cause solvent ignition, even when punctured.

Non rechargeable lithium batterys on the other hand are another story... they still contain lots of pure metallic lithium. See for instance this video on how you to extract it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BliWUHSOalU

It is also worth noting that while FLA banks dont tend to do this, AGM batterys also are capable of thermal runaway at relativey low temperatures (100C). All it takes is a failed controller or a shorted cell. Instead of a flamable electrolyte you have hydrogen gas by poducts to go boom.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

This discussion has been closed.