First Snow

Options
stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
We had our first snow of the season, about a foot of heavy stuff. I cleared off the array to an extent, some ice that was stubborn is still there, and I now show about an amp of charge and it is still very cloudy, very little light, but before the clean there was no charge.
My question: The lights flickered a bit and usually this only happens when the grid has been down and it goes to Bulk. I went to check the inverter and the grid was good, the bank was in Float, so no power bump. I checked the load and it was 4 amps and the AC input was 8 amps. I assume that the flicker was when the charger asked for power. Does that sound reasonable? When I had my water well pump on the inverter it did a similar flicker when the pump kicked on, I have since put the pump on the grid to save my T-220 for emergencies.

Comments

• stmar
    Options
    Re: First Snow

How aggressively do you clean snow from your array? I had about 6 inches of heavy snow on mine and when I cleaned the top layer off I still had ice, left most of it because I did not want to damage the panels. When it started charging the panels cleared off, melted the thin layer of hard ice.
  • pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Options

stmar,

What part of Wyoming are you?
    I am in Casper and we got about 3 inches.
  • stmar
    Options

Buffalo, looks like we got the brunt of the storm. From 19 to 80s in a weeks, gotta love Wyoming!!