Rocket Mass Heater Build.

Skippy
Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
Well guys, last winter, I had a kerosene heater running as well as an 1800 watt heater running full blast, and it still took 3 or 4 hours to heat up my small - fully insulated - shed. Knowing that my solar array will not be much good with that kind of heating load, I decided to install a wood burning appliance. A regular wood stove is way too expensive, and once the fire goes out - it gets cold. So I went with what is called a rocket mass heater. You have a "J" shaped tube - the fire goes in the lower part of the "J" and burns sideways - when the fire hits the top of the "J" it is contained by a steel barrel - which then cools the hot gases - as the gas cools, it drops - creating the draw that runs the system. The hot gasses then go from the bottom of the barrel into a standard heating duct that is encased in a sand and clay masonary mass. So, ideally, the hot gasses exit the bottom of the barrel and while traveling along the horizontal duct work it heats the mass surrounding it. The exhaust gasses then exit the building thru a standard chimeny - even though the temperature of around 200 F (to keep any steam from condensing) and much lower than any standard wood stove.
I like to keep in mind, that if - IF - there is a chimney fire at any time, it will be well worth having the heavy duty chimney installed. But then that is just my opinion.

Here is my attempt at building a rocket mass heater.

Talking to the building inspector first, I mentioned how there is a reference to ASTM standard E1602-03 - It just so happens that in my area - we use the astm standards as well. So - I downloaded the astm standard, and once he had a copy of that - gave me permission to build it. - The catch is, that I have to get this thing W.E.T.T. certified after its done.

So here goes. First I reinforced the base of the shed by adding another 6x6 post - so the base of the stove is now 3 6x6 posts spaced about 40 inches apart. 2x8 insulated floor with 2 sheets of 3/4 inch ply for a total of 1.5 inches of plywood. Onto that I put in 48 inch wide sheet metal up the wall and on the floor as a "spark shield". Then laid down 8 inch concrete blocks too lift the stove off the wood floor. I then laid store bought concrete pad down - bridging the concrete blocks for lots of air movement - no heat buildup under the stove.

Attachment not found.

Mortered rows of bricks to keep in the insulation while it bakes into place.. . . By mixing perelite and clay, you get a sticky - high temperature insulation. Filled in 6 inches deep.

Attachment not found.

Then started building the "J" tube onto the perelite clay insulation.

Attachment not found.

Sealed the fire box with a layer of fire clay.

Attachment not found.

Mortered another 3 layer of brick around the fire box, and filled in around the sides with another 6 inches of perelite/clay to keep the heat in.

Attachment not found.

That's all the pics I can download . . so far so good.
2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.

Comments

• Skippy
    Re: Rocket Mass Heater Build.

Part 2.

I added 3 more layers of bricks and filled in the sides. . .

Attachment not found.

I then topped off the Perelite with a cob mixture of sand and clay - which will harden rock hard and protect the surface of the perelite.

Attachment not found.

Too build the manifold, I had too add the base blocks and the concrete pads for the base. . . same deal. . . lots of air movement - no heat buildup. . .

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

The area that connects the bottom of the barrel with the ductwork is called the manifold, and is unique too each system. . . I made my manifold nice and large for a yearly cleanout. . .

Attachment not found.

Laid in the duct work for the mass bench.

Attachment not found.

That's all the pics I can download for now. . . so far so good.
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
  • Skippy

Laid in the duct work for the mass bench - making sure there is a cleanout at any turn or bend in the pipe. . .

Attachment not found.

Now the fun really begins. . moving 3,000 lbs of bricks, clay and sand into postion . . give or take a pound or two. . ;)

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Today, I added a top layer of bricks - so far, I have 400 bricks at 5.5 lbs each, plus 1/4 ton of sand and 8 full pails of solid clay.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

I'm tired. .:D
  • Skippy

So far, here is what I have learned.

This is called a ROCKET mass heater for a reason, it should have a rockety sound when it's burning good. Mine does burn pretty good, but it does not sound "rockety" enough for me. Add to that the fact that when I have a really hot fire burning - and the top of the barrel is up too 950 F . . the temperature at the bottom of the barrel is around 200 F and the chimney temp is still at 100 F ( I can hold my hand in the chimney) . . which means I am getting water condensing in the pipes.. .. not good.

I am going to try to rebuild the heat riser ( the thing inside the barrel - the top part of the "J" ) I think I made it too thick so there is not enough room going down the inside of the barrel for a good draft to get going. . .

Right now, after a good 2 hour burn, I have a layer of concrete blocks over 2 inches thick sitting at 100 F . . . that should heat the shed just fine.

2 hardwood 2x4 about 18 to 24 inches long - will burn for 40 minutes - keeping the barrel around 450 - 500 F . So you have the barrel giving good radiant heat, while you are also heating up the mass for later radiation. .

Once I have the draft thing working better, it will mean alot more heat going into the mass. .

Cool . . 8)
  • Skippy

Some related pics for you guys. . .

By putting the magnetic thermometer on the top of the barrel, it verifys the digital infrared thermometer that I have. . . I have since passed this picture and have hit 950 F at the top of the barrel.

Attachment not found.

In the burn tunnel, there is a row of bricks set up on edge . . by shinning the L.E.D. from the thermometer into the burn chamber, I can only go down about 1/2 way down the brick before it tops out the device. So it's burning way hotter than the temp shown.

Attachment not found.

Here you can see the moisture baking out of the perelite/clay mix.

Attachment not found.

Even though I am working with extremely hot temps, the perelite is rated for around 2,000 F - and with 6 inches of the stuff around the burn tunnel, the outer bricks are still room temperature.

I will keep you guys updated as I go !
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Masonry heater owner here. You have 3 problems

1) too much insulation. heat will never get to the bricks through all the perlite. Concrete will quickly degrade from the firebox heat.

2) 55 gal drum in the heat path. It will burn through in a year and have to tear the heater apart to replace it.

3) insufficient primary or secondary air to burn the wood gasses.

Look into using flue liner tiles as your heat mass, lay them on the perlite, run the "smoke" through that. Cover with bricks for mass.
    My house heater burns scarey white hot like a roaring blast furnace when it gets hot, but only burns for 90 minutes, and then it's done. Heat soaks
    through for 12 hours, and i load another 40lbs of wood (dry oak) for a "Top Down" burn, and after 2 days, the outer bricks start getting warm. 2 days to warm up,
    2 days to cool off. 2, 12 hr, 40lbs of wood burns per day keeps a 2,000 sf 2 story house cozy. Can't beat the IR heat coming off the 110F bricks.

Look at some of the designs/plans at http://mha-net.org/ Rocket stoves burn vast quantities of small wood and you have to spend a lot of time feeding it, batch fed masonry heaters (2 fires per day) are simpler to feed. pics: http://mha-net.org/docs/v8n2/v8n2page2.htm http://www.inspirationgreen.com/masonry-heaters.html

My heater:
    Attachment not found. Before bench and bricks installed.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• toothy
    toothy Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

Neat project hope it works out, I'm sure you'll get it dialed in.

I like Mike have a masonry heater, it's 8k lbs of soapstone that I installed last spring. It was built up your way about 1 hour east of Montreal. We haven't been through the winter with it yet but warm mass has made the house much more comfortable. The old wood stove used to give us daily temp swings that the mass has totally done away with. Ours sure does roar when cooking along. We have a white oven in ours but haven't really used it yet because of it being summer, but steaks, chop, pizza and burgers cooked in the firebox are awesome.

Good luck
    Wade
  • Skippy
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Masonry heater owner here. You have 3 problems

1) too much insulation. heat will never get to the bricks through all the perlite. Concrete will quickly degrade from the firebox heat.

I'm guessing you are looking at the perlite around the burn chamber ? It is my understanding that you insulate this area to keep the heat in the fire box. . . after it goes up the tube and down the inside of the barrel, it then enters the "mass" . . which soaks up the heat for later use. The bricks around the perlite is just too look pretty, and too hold it all together as it hardens. There is no concrete in this thing, except for the outer layer of bricks around the firebox perlite - and in the mass heat storage - too soak up the heat . . . the firebox is made of nothing but fire brick and fire mortar...
    2) 55 gal drum in the heat path. It will burn through in a year and have to tear the heater apart to replace it.

55 gallon drum is supposed to be there, it is designed that way. If it burns thru, or starts to degrade in any way, I'll go get another one for 5 bucks .... ;) that is after the spare one I have also burns out . . all the information that I have though says the barrel will last a long time. . . we will see how it goes. . .
    3) insufficient primary or secondary air to burn the wood gasses.

The THEORY of having the barrel over the heat riser, is that - you get an air vortex at the top of the barrel, re-burning all the left over wood gases. . . which is kind of interesting, because as the top of the barrel goes thru 600 to 700 F, it gets a bit of black smoke . . . then once it hits 700 - 800 F the black smoke clears out and it burns clean. . . that is one thing I have to look into . . . maybe one of my measurements is off. . .:confused:

I am trying to follow the videos and information that I have found. . still working the bugs out of the system . . . right now, a 2 hour fire heats up the mass to 100 F, and in the winter time, it would probably be really nice to sit or lie on and read a book or something. . .

I will keep you guys updated on here as too how it works out. . . just thought you guys would like to have a look at it. I still have to put in the chimney, as well as adding more layers to the mass. . . it is a work in progress. . . and I do have some bugs to work out.
  • mike95490

cool. I'd thought I saw a lot of concrete block in one of the photos. And the masonry heaters, have about 10" of firebrick around the burn chamber as the first stage of the thermal mass. And the firebrick erodes and has to eventually be re-skinned.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• Skippy

OOps . . . I made a mistake. I did put a concrete pad underneath the burn chamber. - you can see it in the third picture from the top - that thin little grey line under all the fire bricks . . Other than that . . :blush: . . there is no concrete anywhere near the fire. . . all those concrete blocks are on the outside of the mass insulation layer, or in the mass further downstream. . . Forgot all about that concrete pad I cut up and stuck under there - I needed a nice flat - one piece item, and was too impatient to go out and buy 1/4 inch plate steel . . oops.
    note : but then at those temps, steel won't last all that long either. .

Yes, it says in the information that I have, that I should build this thing with easy access to the first brick over the burn tunnel. . "they" say that that brick is the first too go, so I will have to keep an eye on things. I am not getting high enough temps - so I am doing some trouble shooting right now. . .

Keep ya updated.
  • Skippy

Bit of an update on the rocket mass. . .

I finished the brick layer . . . I then added the last layer of "urbanite" to the mass area (broken concrete pad pieces), the next step is too add the finish layer. . .

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

I picked up 3 full boxes of scrap wood from work, and have been trying to burn it in the mass heater with no luck You can see some of it sticking up in this picture . . .

Attachment not found.

Whenever I try to burn the stuff, the barrel temp never gets up over 350 - 400 F - it does down draft, but it does not really "rocket" . . . Size of the wood is about 1.5 x 2 inch rectangular - tried burning 1 - 2 and 3 pieces . . . I wanted to test the theory that the wood is too big for the stove, so I called over to my neighbor, and asked if I could have a couple of pieces of his - hard wood - fire wood. He gave me 2 pieces about the size of your cafe muscle . . nice size to fit in the 5.5 x 5.5 burn chamber. . . the first piece I put in did not burn worth a darn, so after a while, I chopped up the second piece into thumb size pieces - 16 inches long. I put in about 8 - 10 pieces of that (1/3 of the piece of wood) and that did the trick ! It started to rocket right away, good strong draft, no smoke back - lots of heat ! After about 15 min. or so, the top of the barrel was up to 950 F - and that is 36 inches away from the bottom of the burn tunnel . . .

Some numbers - The first clean out cap was at 250 F - the second clean out cap 10 feet down the mass, was sitting at 130 F, the third clean out at the base of the chimney was at 110 F . . . while the urbanite on top of the mass was up too 110 F dropping off the further away from the fire box you get. . . BUT. . . keeping in mind - I just put the top layer on the stove, so there is a layer of cold wet clay under that urbanite. . . once it all dries out, I expect the heat to distribute more evenly. . .

I asked a buddy at work to bring in different temperature rated welding rods. . . I hope, by sticking them into the burn chamber, I can get an idea of how hot this thing is burning. If it melts, it's that hot. . .

I will be recording the numbers as I go, how long will a 1 hour burn heat the workshop.. etc.
  • mike95490

way too big of wood.. Rocket stoves use twigs, lots of surface area to heat and burn quickly. Thus the "feeding it all day" problem with rocket stuff. Try pencil size wood, nothing larger than celery stalks. It should roar then.

• jebatty
    jebatty Solar Expert Posts: 56

Don't forget that you can't get more heat out of any stove than the available btu content of the wood that you put in the stove. If your prior stove required 5 cords of wood to heat your home during the winter, then your rocket stove will require 5 cords of the same kind/quality/moisture content of wood to heat your home, although if the rocket stove final exhaust is 200F when it leaves the heated space vs assumed 4-600F for the prior stove, your wood usage may be about 5% less. True, your heat may be more even, but if your daily heat loss is, for example, 20,000 btuh, then you still will need about 75-80 lbs of wood to burn every day to supply that heat. The temperature of your exhaust at the final outdoor exhaust point needs to be above the boiling point of water to prevent condensation from dripping back down the chimney. 250F probably would be a good target for planning purposes. The efficiency gain in btu's captured by lowering exhaust from 250F to 200F would be less than 1%, and the benefit gained by eliminating condensation issues is much greater.

Good luck with your rocket mass heater. I have a Stove Tec rocket cooking stove, use twigs/sticks for fuel, and performance is great. Keeping the heat confined to the bottom and sides of my cook pot rather than blowing off as it would over an open fire makes a huge difference.
  • Skippy
    jebatty wrote: »
    Don't forget that you can't get more heat out of any stove than the available btu content of the wood that you put in the stove. If your prior stove required 5 cords of wood to heat your home during the winter, then your rocket stove will require 5 cords of the same kind/quality/moisture content of wood to heat your home, although if the rocket stove final exhaust is 200F when it leaves the heated space vs assumed 4-600F for the prior stove, your wood usage may be about 5% less.

I will get back to you on this one . . The makers of this stove seem to think that with almost all the heat going into the mass, as well as having the same radiant heat from the barrel as a regular wood stove, it will cut the use of fire wood by up to 3/4. . . . That is a MAJOR savings, and considering that these things were built for third world countries that have NO fuel . . . I tend to lean toward a VERY fuel efficient stove. . . Here is what I did as a test : I had 1/2 cord of hard wood delivered. .. and that does not look like much wood :

1 piece of hardwood :
    Attachment not found.

chopped into finger pieces :
    Attachment not found.

run thru the stove :
    Attachment not found.

The temperature outside was only around 15 degrees, the shed was at 60 F when I started the test. I am going to have to pick one F or C . . this is confusing ;) . . . anywho . . that one piece of hardwood burned for 1 hour. Just the radiant heat from the barrel raised the temp in the shed up to 77 F, and in about 3-4 hours, when the heat from the exhaust gasses work thru the mass (I have heard about an inch an hour or so) , then that will keep the shed warm overnight . . which is the whole point in the "savings" . . while a regular wood stove would still be burning and smoking thru the night, this one is sitting there. radiating. . .
    The efficiency gain in btu's captured by lowering exhaust from 250F to 200F would be less than 1%, and the benefit gained by eliminating condensation issues is much greater.

Currently, the barrel temperature is around 750 F on the side of the barrel . . the gasses in the chimney are around 120 F - yes, I do have condensation in the pipes, but I am working on a solution to that problem. So what kind of efficiency would 750 to 120 be ?
    Keeping the heat confined to the bottom and sides of my cook pot rather than blowing off as it would over an open fire makes a huge difference.

Keeping the heat from blowing up the chimney is the main goal.

Attachment not found.

I will be doing more testing as the weather gets colder, as well as the fact that the mass of the stove is still - if not wet - than damp. . . more updates to come...
  • Skippy

Update on the construction process:

After putting the urbanite on top of the stove, I put on a cover of clay-sand-bit of straw . . I had put a line of bricks all the way around the mass area of the stove as a spacer for the final layer - but it does not have to be 2 inches thick, so after taking the bricks off from around the finished mass - I put on this layer about 1.5 inches thick, with the final layer of "poop plaster" going on top of this.

For those of you who are new to all natural building, yes, it has horse manure in it - the fresher the better. The recipe that works for my materials goes like this :

1 part horse manure
    1 part clay slip
    1 part fine sifted sand

That makes a pretty durable layer - If you look in the picture, the front part - on the side of the mass - is my test patch for the plaster - it has a lighter color than the rest :

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

It hardens rock hard, and thanks to all the little fibers in the manure, it does not crack - even when I hit it with a 2x4. Think about adding fiberglass fibers too cement - same idea . .

I have read that it will make it even better with a bit of flour paste and powdered milk added to it . . so I will have to give that a try next.

I now know, that I don't have to worry about dropping anything on top of the bench . . . well, within reason . . :D

darn, I will have to go and buy powder milk - more to come.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

I am watching this thread and find it interesting. They say hot water boiler can be more efficiant cause you can keep the temp lower but the radiant heat feels warmer due to less up and down fluxuation. I use lots of propane. Most rocket stoves I have read about have some kind of bench. It may not be more efficiant then a wood stove but a portion of the house may make it seem so, expecially if you are sitting on the bench. We used to use a pot belly stove and some place always felt good. I know my fireplace actually made my living room feel colder but the block wall that the fire place was built into in my garage sure made it nice getting into a car in winter.
    Please keep giving reports
    gww
  • Skippy
    gww1 wrote: »
    I am watching this thread and find it interesting. . . . the radiant heat feels warmer due to less up and down fluxuation.
    gww

Funny you should mention the radiant heat . . fired up the rocket for 3 or 4 hours, while I was out there working, coat- sweater- t shirt . . . once the barrel hit 800 F, I realized I was sweating - took off the coat - still sweating - took off the sweater - STILL sweating . . once I was in the t shirt, I realized that from anywhere in the shed (I was about 12 feet away) you can feel the radiant heat coming off the barrel - that is really cool ! - o.k. - hot !

In the picture, the furthest small pail of wood took a bit over an hour too burn, while all of the wood pictured took about 2 hours 15 min.

Attachment not found.

Had the barrel up too 800 F for about an at least a couple of hours . .

Attachment not found.

The next day, 3 small cups of ash came out. . . if you look closely in the picture, you can see bits of steel in there . . . the inner liner of the heat riser is starting to burn out (galvanized steel) . . I have been forwarned that this will happen, since the insulation layer in between the inner and outer riser is clay and perelite, now that it is dry and set, I don't need the inner tube too hold it together. . . so it's falling apart . .

Attachment not found.

The cool thing is, that I have a video on my phone with a "guy" saying that you cannot build a rocket entirely out of steel - since it's so hot - but more importantly , he goes on too list the burning temps off materials in the smoke . .

auto ignite wood - 400-500 F
    carbon - 800 F
    hydrogen 1064 F
    carbon monoxide 1120 F
    1200 F minimum . . to burn everything . .

Fun fact, I dropped in an aluminum pop can, and within a minute, it was gone . . melted away into the ashes of the stove. . . Aluminum melts at 1220 F . . guess I am burning everything ! :cool:

After a 3 hour burn, the chimeny temp was 130 F.

I have been a bit under the weather, as well as working lots of O.T . .. .So not very much time or energy too play . . . Once it gets colder outside, I will do a more detailed test run, just too see what happens.

Updated pic of the rocket mass heater. .. still have too do alot of fill in work . . when I can.

Attachment not found.

Note: I had one person come out to look at the rocket stove, too W.E.T.T. certify the stove, he did not see a problem with certifying the stove, but wanted to make sure his butt was covered - before he does. Will keep you updated on this as well.
  • gww1

skippy
    Thanks for the update.
    gww
  • gww1

I had heard most wood gassifiers get to 1400 degrees. I wonder how long the 4" steal sleeve last in them. I worked with furnaces that heat treated steal parts. all the furnaces were fire bricked. The temp on them was over 1400 degrees.
    gww
  • Skippy

On Friday, I set up a piece of 1/2 inch copper in the flue - right underneath were the galvanized steel is falling out . .

Attachment not found.

Have not had a chance too look in there yet, since it takes a couple of days for the fire box to cool after a 3 hour burn . . copper melts at what ? 1983 F . . .

Will let you know what happens to THAT ! :D
  • mike95490

My main problem with your system, is that it does not have enough mass. Sure that 800F barrel puts out a lot of heat for a short time. Mass is 3 pallets of brick, heated up to 110 (hottest I've ever recorded). 1-2 buckets of wood on an average day, 4 on a cold (below 35) sunless day. (those 5 gal buckets are priceless) The mass of brick moderating the heat for 48 hours gives a pleasant, even warmth in a 2400sf 2 story house, and I get 80 gallons of 90F water to feed my tankless with.

What happens when the barrel burns through (the first couple pinholes), will it vent into the house, or will the draft carry it outside ?

• jebatty
    jebatty Solar Expert Posts: 56

Wood gasification boilers have a maximum temperature of about 1800-2000F. Back again to my prior post, nothing wrong with a large mass wood burner, but you can't get more btu's out of wood for heating a home than the btu's in the wood, which are approximately 6040 btu/lb at 20% MC and 400F stack temperature. And burning wood with too low of stack temperature (roughly below 250F) almost certainly will result in condensation and creosote formation from vaporizing the moisture in the wood plus the water vapor resulting from combustion.
  • Skippy
    My main problem with your system, is that it does not have enough mass. Sure that 800F barrel puts out a lot of heat for a short time.

I designed it too fit in the available space, I was debating on wrapping the bench all the way around the building, but that would take up too much space. This is a test too see how the thing will work. I figured the 400 bricks would be enough of a mass for the 224sf shed - the next heater I build - the building will be designed to hold it. Or, as the "bosses" at work would say, "It meets the design critera that it was designed for and thus works as intended" . . it heats the place when its cold out. :D
    Mass is 3 pallets of brick, heated up to 110 (hottest I've ever recorded). 1-2 buckets of wood on an average day, 4 on a cold (below 35) sunless day. (those 5 gal buckets are priceless) The mass of brick moderating the heat for 48 hours gives a pleasant, even warmth in a 2400sf 2 story house, and I get 80 gallons of 90F water to feed my tankless with.

I agree with you there, the mass does stay warm, and adds heat to the building. Keeping in mind my shed is only 14 x 16 - 224 square feet (not counting the loft area) - no where near 2400sf. I would like to wrap the barrel with copper pipe and transfer some of the heat into heating the house, but that is later on down the road...
    What happens when the barrel burns through (the first couple pinholes), will it vent into the house, or will the draft carry it outside ?

I am keeping an eye on the barrel. The makers of these stoves say that since the barrel is in a postion that does not promote rust, It should last a long time. Too answer the question, in the event the barrel burns thru, you would probably get smoke in the shed (not in my house) - in that case, you would quickly know that it is time to replace the barrel. - 5 $ from the scrap yard.
    Also, the building inspector is insisting on a co2 detector and a fire alarm - even though it is out in the shed - I have no problems with that. Another layer of protection is always good. . ;)
  • Skippy
    you can't get more btu's out of wood for heating a home than the btu's in the wood, which are approximately 6040 btu/lb at 20% MC and 400F stack temperature.

It looks like the makers of these types of stoves are not arguing the energy content of the fuel, they are more concerned with what is done with all those BTU's once you have them.
  • Skippy

Update.

The copper pipe I put in the stove was not a 1/2 inch diameter, but was in fact a 3/4 inch diameter pipe.

Before :

Attachment not found.

After a 3 hour burn :

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

So it does get hot enough to melt copper in there - 1,983 F 8)
  • Skippy

Bit of an update for ya :

As the mass drys out, I am finding the stove draws much better, and burns hotter.
    I cobbed around the exit flue of the stove a bit more, and added an extra brick layer to the input of the firebox - so I can burn longer pieces of wood, any stray smoke just gets sucked back into the stove

Attachment not found.

A bit concerned with the paint coming off the barrel at high temps, so I took my spare barrel out and had it sand blasted.

Attachment not found.

While I had it all apart, I am happy too see there is not much black carbon build up inside the barrel - only a fine white ash.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

As expected, the steel inner liner of the heat riser is breaking apart, since it cannot handle the 2,000 F temps.. .

Attachment not found.

After the first firing, the sand blasted barrel turned a gun metal grey.

Attachment not found.
  • Skippy

Then I added an exhaust fan that is turned around and blowing INTO the shop. Supplies a boost of fresh air to me working in there, and also provides a boost to the rocket stove - since the only place for the air pressure too go is out thru the rocket stove . . :cool:

Attachment not found.

I made a note of the temps - so that if it EVER turns cold out, I can compare the numbers with what I have here. The first time I ran the turbo rocket - it was -5 C outside, and the stove still heated up the space easily even with the air blower blowing cold air in....

Attachment not found.

I want to see what happens when its -15 C out ;) . . . it is surprising what RADIANT heat can do . . . 52 F and in a T shirt . .
  • Skippy

bit of an update for you guys.... I would like to be able too do something with all the heat this thing makes, so too that end, I have wrapped the barrel in 3/4 inch copper tube, and started to heat water with it. . . now - a quick warning to everyone who have not seen myth busters . . pressurized water goes BOOM !!

Attachment not found.

That was the safety warning . . Now for the fun parts. . . by hooking up a grundfos pump on low speed, and having the water going into a 5 gallon pail, I have it figured out that I can produce around 4,000 btu's an hour . .. about 1/3 of the energy I need too heat my house - on the COLDEST days of the year - my heat pump is a 36,000 btu unit, and when it is -20 outside (coldest so far) it runs for 20 minutes every hour . . hence the 12,000 btu target . . .

first try . .

Attachment not found.

The first problem, was too hook up a drain back system, so if the power fails, no water is in the pipe overheating . . . this setup drains back BEAUTIFULLY ! . . the next problem is too get the heat output up high enough too heat the house . .

second try . .

Attachment not found.

The solar controller runs the pumps automaticaly, while the small radiator keeps the temperature down so I don't accidently melt the pail while I test run the system . . even with the radiator running, the water temperature still rises, just not that fast . .

Next step is too add a 1/2 inch coil on the top of the stove, and have it soak up somemore btu's to try to get up too the target output ...

For those of you who like the numbers : :)

Attachment not found.

60 degrees too 125 degrees in about 30 min ? - not fast enough !The nice thing about having 4 gallons of hot water in the work shop - it stays warmer overnight . . :)
  • gww1

You have been rather busy, thanks for the update.
    gww
  • Skippy
    Wood gasification boilers have a maximum temperature of about 1800-2000F. Back again to my prior post, nothing wrong with a large mass wood burner, but you can't get more btu's out of wood for heating a home than the btu's in the wood, which are approximately 6040 btu/lb at 20% MC and 400F stack temperature. And burning wood with too low of stack temperature (roughly below 250F) almost certainly will result in condensation and creosote formation from vaporizing the moisture in the wood plus the water vapor resulting from combustion.

I would like to thank you for the information. I am cutting up and burning 10 lb hardwood skids (rough estimate) in about 80 minutes - so by this calculation, 6000 btu per pound - works out too about 60,000 btu per 80 minutes . . I should be able too find 12,000 from this thing . . :)

I have installed a temp probe in the stack - have not seen it go any higher than 200 F in the center of the stack . . even after a 4 hour burn . . . you can see that the outside of the steel is cooler (infrared thermometer) compared to the temp probe . .

Next step is too weight the water, and the skid, so I can give you guys some hard numbers.... Then I can either wrap the copper with steel sheeting - too hold more heat in - or put in a tight coil of 1/2 inch copper on the top . . there is lots of heat there, I just gotta figure out how too capture it . . . safely . . . :)
  • Skippy
    I am not sure how many people are interested in this thread, so I will post updates every now and then...

I finally got around to adding the second 5 gallon pail to my system, bringing the water level from around 33 lbs - up too 73 lbs. You can see in the picture the 1.5 inch ABS pipe that is used for a thermosyphon effect . . the water is pumped out of the bottom of the right pail, thru the coil around the stove, and back into the left pail . . it then thermosypon's back into the right pail. The temperature probe is in the top of the right pail. Attachment not found.

I have drawn a line in black marker, so that for every test, I can replace any water that has steamed off . . about 1/8th of an in ch per test burn...

Attachment not found.

Here is a list of numbers from my test runs, you will notice, that with cold water - around 60 F , I am getting a heat transfer of almost 6,000 BTU an hour, if you view the pictures, they do come up right side up . . for some reason - they post sideways. . . every time. . .

Attachment not found.

but when the temperature gets up around 120 F , the temperature rise drops too 2,000 BTU an hour.

Attachment not found.

The hottest I have been able too get this setup, the way it is now, is 140 F - the temperature just stays at 140 F. I am using uninsulated pails, so there is alot of heat loss there, so my theory is, that if I can get a 3 degree temperature rise STARTING at 120 F - with this setup . . I will have enough heat to warrant connecting this thing too my house. .. right now, I am test running idea's . . . then I can install a proper insulated tank too work with . . and really start heating things up !

For the last week, it has been around -20 C or in my terms , -4 degrees F . . I have not had alot of spare time, so I have only been doing 2 hour test burns, whenever I get the chance...

2 small cups of ash is all I get from a 2 hour burn . . which is really funny, since whenever I go thru the local dollar store, they sell "wood stove" shovels - pails and brooms . . one shovel would hold three days worth of fire - one pail would do me for the entire season, and the broom would not even fit in the opening . . hee heee heee - I love my Rocket. Attachment not found.

Here is the results of the test burns, Having almost 100 lbs of water heated up too 120 F, really helps too keep the heat in the shed. That first day, I was really worried about the low temps, and the fact that it was only 45 degrees in the shed . . I did not take into account the water at 113 F . . worried all day that the pump would freeze, went home and the temp had only dropped by 2 degrees ! You can see on Thur...Fri..Sat... I did not do a 2 hour burn on fri.. to see how that would effect the temps... still did not hit the freezing point... Last week, I heated up the shed on Sunday afternoon, and the water in the pail on the floor did not freeze till friday... when it's -4 F outside, 43 F seems downright warm inside! Attachment not found.

That's it for now, . . Someone suggested I wrap the copper pipe with steel than insulate the steel sheet - too hold the heat in and heat up the copper tube more , but I cannot do that, since it would effect the operation of the draw of the stove.. it has too radiat heat or it won't draw properly ... Keeping in mind - as well - there is still alot of heat going into the mass - also helping too keep the building warm . .

I have a couple of idea's - More updates too come. :)