Powerful Little Light: LED With 1,000 Lumens

Osram has developed a small light-emitting diode spotlight that achieves an output of more than 1,000 lumens for the first time. That’s brighter than a 50-watt halogen lamp, thereby making the device suitable for a broad range of general lighting applications.
Read all about it at:
http://www.physorg.com/news93198212.html

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Powerful Little Light: LED With 1,000 Lumens

:-o 8-)
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Nice I saw a 750 lumen chip last year a SHOT, very impressive. Odd that Osram is finally getting in to teh mix since they are not one of the big three right now.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • crewzer

It's certainly interesting to watch the advances... my neighbor's new Caddy has LED back-up lights (I think two lamps per side), and they're amazingly effective.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

police cars are using led light bars. i like the looks of them, especially those with the blue. the light bars are also much smaller than for conventional light bars. i first mistook it for part of a luggage rack.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Yeah, and the local Fire Dept here now have, for the Chief and key members, tiny little light bars that sit low on the dash of their personal vehicles. They're about 1 inch high, by 4 inches long and look out through the windshield. These lights strobe very intensely, unlike any incandescent bulbs and are very effective. Ten years ago I would never have guessed LEDs would come so far. Ha! Should have known better.
    Wayne
  • crewzer

Related applications info: http://www.cree.com/LEDcity/

8-)
    Jim / crewzer
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Some places are also switching over to LED traffic signals, which can be a major maintenance cost even above the power costs.

However, we have yet to see any LED light that that really looks good for general household use. By "looking good" I mean that most of the "white" ones actually put out a very bluish light, and colors get very distorted - especially reds, which can look almost black under them.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Yup one of the problems is "color" temp of LED's. They vary even in the same batch so some might have a warmer tint and some a cooler tint and even some greenish tint. They have gotten better about "binning" them but there are still lots of variation between chips. Until they get that straight I don't think they will catch on. Sort of like how some CF's are blue'ish and they vary in the same batch as well.

And yes LED's do emit certain wavelengths so they are not full spectrum, at least not to start, depending on what they add.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brock wrote:
    And yes LED's do emit certain wavelengths so they are not full spectrum, at least not to start, depending on what they add.

LED's are monochromatic, and make a stepping stone to laser diodes.
    The white LED's are usually a UV led, with phosphor in them, just like fluorescent tubes. Some are trying 3 colors of leds inside a envelope/bulb, but the amount of light per diode color varys so much, it's easier to use white LED's with the proper phosphor mix in them.
    (2 green, 6 red, 4 blue - whoops the green aren't pointed the right direction, so we need 6 green, 14 red, 9 blue.....)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,