Conext ComBox - Firmware update released

Comments

• DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Re: Conext ComBox - Firmware update released
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »

After installing my XW system if I were off grid I think I would want the monitoring, ease of setting devices from one control and ability too do it local or remotely? But I like gadgets!

Thanks

Lets see some pictures of your setup! :)
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes have case number, Jason has been working on issues, short comings in firmware, besides the resetting problem. Have

After installing my XW system if I were off grid I think I would want the monitoring, ease of setting devices from one control and ability too do it local or remotely? But I like gadgets!

Thanks

Cool ! BTW the SCP can control, set all devices, read harvests locally. The combox is a nice device but it is new! I have an XW from 2007 still running the original firmware. The only firmware that changed for offgrid was they relaxed the generator signal qual specs.

Did you set the 60-150 to scroll? It is nice as it gives you a remote display of vitals without having to push a button.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

The ComBox display gives me good system overview and if I want more specific just go to device and look at status. Can do it from anywhere I have IPad, tablet with me. If I really had to I would buy SCP but that's another $250 that I should need as ComBox should have full access to all functions on the devices. My XW was built in Dec 2013. Only thing I was curious about was the doc's that came with it were published in 2007. As you said not much has really changed. My Zantrex GT was built in Apr 2010 and hasn't missed a beat since I turned it on in July 2010. Newer TX Grid inverter has been online for a year and working as advertised.

i researched a long time and I am happy with the function of product. Waiting to see what the new grid tie inverters specs look like. Looks like the RL series but haven't seen specs for North American version. Will be interested in seeing how they implement the grid functions on the SW series.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Dave Angelini
    The ComBox display gives me good system overview and if I want more specific just go to device and look at status. Can do it from anywhere I have IPad, tablet with me.

Understand ! I just do not want to go anywhere anymore.....

• SkiDoo55
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    Both v463 and v362 are on their new RE site sesolar.com, but on the Global Schneider site for the combox (the link that the SE logo on the combox menu takes you to) the only firmware listed as of this writing is v362. v463 used to be there.

I downgraded last night and I can tell you so far the combox is more responsive and I have not logged a single reboot except for the 3am housecleaning reboot the manual speaks of. I think I am going to keep it at v362 for now until the new Grid-Interactive features for my SW come out in August/Sept.

Didn't the old site, have new bookmarked, since in went there to download the discontinue notice on the TX series which I have one of? Not a big issue these last 6 panel I put up for the XW has got about all of the available roof space taken. Probably be generating close to - 3.8 MWh per year. Looking as changing or adding a heat pump water heating unit to gas waster heater to use some surplus up and cut gas bill.
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    Still have to build battery enclosure, but they are weather protected as they sit.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • DMJ72

very nice !! what make/model batteries are those?

here is my combox (I am a computer geek, so you know love it!) tucked neatly under the Schneider SW :

atlast.JPG
  • SkiDoo55

Clean looking!batteries are Duracell Procell SLI6V370S. Just got them this Wednesday. Should be plenty for what I need. Only exercise will be when I switch off grid to cycle them. Right now selling about 7 to 7.5 kWH to grid, beside the 55+ kWh from GT inverters each day.
    i have the XW feeding one of my sub panels. So if/when power goes out will have most of house with inverter backup. It has been 2 years since last outage, knock on wood. Have 5500W noise maker if it looks like it will last more than a few hours. Have been without grid power for about 3 days a few years back. Bad thunder storms tok down a lot of poles and blew lots of transformers. Ones on pole in back yard, lightning came down side of tall fir tree and jumped from it to pole and transformers. Was quite a sight to see. Utility didn't really believe me when I called. Only mine and one other house plus some business's on it and it happened late on weekend. They replaced them about 3 days later.
    i'll do better on next pictures, will do from desktop and not IPad!
    my ComBox is inside in my computer room.
  • DMJ72

Well although v362 seems to be more stable, I can repeatedly crash it (that is cause the network stack to stop responding to pings and I can't web to the device) if I have someone outside my lan/router connect to the device, i.e access it from the Internet.

I get this in the logs :

014/07/12 22:03:51 Created Xanbus Device: SCP ( 732631 )
    2014/07/12 22:03:45 Created Xanbus Device: MPPT ( 1208819 )
    2014/07/12 22:03:45 Created Xanbus Device: CSW ( 954087 )
    2014/07/12 22:03:41 System Startup - Application Version: Ver01.02BN0362
    2014/07/12 22:03:41 Network Cable Connected

looks like a full reboot...

EDIT : This only seems to happen with high latency connections > 120ms ping time. I am going to email customer support to see if they are aware.
  • DMJ72

For those that have not heard, Version 2.0 was released today with a new UI and bug-fixes to the latency issue :

Release Notes For Conext Combox/Conext Modbus Converter
    Version: 02.00 Build 656 [6 Aug, 2014] New Features
     Updated Web User Interface
     Master/Slave ComBox Multi-Cluster support
     Three phase support
     Conext Insight Web Portal integration
     Multiple battery bank support ( up to 5 banks )
     Battery Monitor support for accurate battery state of charge
     Conext XW+/CSW+ support
     Dual Generator support
     Daily Summary Plots
     Modbus Inverter support (Conext CL, Conext TL, Conext RL)
     Modbus Power Meter support (PM8xx series)
     Modbus SMP3 Pyranometer support
     Lithium-Ion Battery support
     ComBox Performance improvements
    Bug Fixes
     Fixed crashes caused by some high latency network connections

Will test and tell you how it goes.
  • SkiDoo55

Surprised the tech's haven't said anything they sent me an RMA today for issues' mentioned. Mainly resetting when trying to access fro internet. Will download and implant tonight after everything off line.
    thanks for posting. Will have to check for XW and MPPT 60-150 updates so it will work with battery monitor when it arrives.
  • DMJ72
    Surprised the tech's haven't said anything they sent me an RMA today for issues' mentioned. Mainly resetting when trying to access fro internet. Will download and implant tonight after everything off line.
    thanks for posting. Will have to check for XW and MPPT 60-150 updates so it will work with battery monitor when it arrives.

:) Let me know how your update goes. I had to use a USB stick to get mine done as it failed from the web interface. I have mixed feelings about this update. Let me know your thoughts...
  • SkiDoo55

Will do, won't put it on for a couple more hours. Agree I have best luck with update using thumb drive. Had it fail a couple of time trying over network, and I have a pretty fast network. They were going to send me a SCP to overcome the missing functions for enhanced grid support and Gen support plus? See what happens on that.
    just confused that they sent an RMA for the ComBox and that the one coming would ship after 8/25. And that if it tested good in the lab I would be charged for it!!

update, upgrade with thumb drive very smooth, no problems. For my system for the few minutes I played with new display I like it! Features that were missing where enhanced interactive grid support which is worked around by setting Grid Support voltage 4 volts higher than Bulk/Absorb settings when connected to a XW MPPT charge controller. Now have Generator Support Plus option in advanced features, along with many additional selections for New Battery Monitor.
    If they fixed the dropping out by resetting from remote access I will be a pretty Happy Camper with my system.
  • DMJ72

Nice to hear! :)

You took delivery of the battery monitor? if so how about some pics in the thread that deals with it? ;)
  • SkiDoo55

Will do when I get it may be a couple of weeks. On order from NAWS Store.Waiting to get it to figure out where to mount. Would actually like to put inside E-panel if there is room, but I have plenty of space on board by inverter for it. Now all I have to wait for is the firmware version 2's for the XW 4024 and the XW MPPT for it to work fully with the monitor from what the literature says?
  • Dave Angelini

Question please! One would still need the Gen Start module correct? The COMbox does not have wiring terminals to directly start a generator correct? Thx!

• DMJ72
    Question please! One would still need the Gen Start module correct? The COMbox does not have wiring terminals to directly start a generator correct? Thx!

Yeah, you will need the AGS module :)
  • DMJ72

SkiDoo55 or Halfcrazy : Quick question. After resetting the box to defaults and applying the firmware update, did you have to enter the default user name and password for your admin/user accounts?
  • SkiDoo55

I think it should retain them? I haven' done that step the last updates. Put USB stick in recycle the power and let it run. When ZanBus light comes on it says you can pull USB drive and let it finish. Has worked perfect and all settings have remained intaxt.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    SkiDoo55 or Halfcrazy : Quick question. After resetting the box to defaults and applying the firmware update, did you have to enter the default user name and password for your admin/user accounts?

I did not rest to default. I simply cleared the memory as the manual said so it remembered my username and pass. I am working with Schneider now, they think it may be the XW is to old
  • SkiDoo55
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    I did not rest to default. I simply cleared the memory as the manual said so it remembered my username and pass. I am working with Schneider now, they think it may be the XW is to old
    Latest firmware for XW is 1.07 and that is what I have in new build XW ?
  • DMJ72

Ureka! So its working all well now, I have my graphs. However my SD card is still not recognised. :(

I had to reset the combox to defaults AFTER LOADING THE FIRMWARE using the procedure in the manual :

1. Shut down the combox from the Menu.
    2. Wait 10 seconds.
    3. Insert paper-clip into reset hole.
    4. Power up, wait for all the LEDS to flash quickly 5 times.
    5. Quickly release the reset button.
    6. Logged in with the admin / default admin password to confirm it was reset to default.
  • SkiDoo55

Great to hear. Some USB drives are finicky or the version isn't recognized now. Have you tried cleaning the drive contacts with just a dry cloth. And you could copy contents from drive to another or PC then reformat then try. If that works can copy contents back and try again.
  • DMJ72
    Great to hear. Some USB drives are finicky or the version isn't recognized now. Have you tried cleaning the drive contacts with just a dry cloth. And you could copy contents from drive to another or PC then reformat then try. If that works can copy contents back and try again.

Cleaned and tested the SD card. Its dead. No more Kingston cards for me!
  • SkiDoo55

That's not good news lost your history. I save the log file to my desk pc daily for that exact reason, figure I can do without the faults and warning history. I think the one I lost was that brand also! It was only a 4GB so not much money. Have seen 64 GB ones advertised for down to $20 after rebates.
    guess we are actually talking about MicroSD cards. Brain lapse!
  • DMJ72
    Well I updated my Com Box and I lost communications with the XW. it still shows up as a device but all values are 0. I tried updating 3 times and finally gave up and reverted back to old firmware

Hey Ryan, did you get this issue sorted out? what was the outcome? :)
  • SkiDoo55

Version 2.01 firmware released?? See what they fixed!
  • DMJ72
    Version 2.01 firmware released?? See what they fixed!

I see they have not included the release notes this time around. I will update it later when I get home.
  • SkiDoo55

:grrYes I would wait they made it worse now more than one screen is reporting incorrect totals. See what happens. Sent tech a short reply on there release.
  • DMJ72

So far so good. Seems a little faster.

Edit : The device is much faster when accessed from the internet now. Even with my crap 1Mbit/sec upload @ home!
  • SkiDoo55

agree external access is more stable with slow connections.
    heard from tech they are still working on issues especially for AC coupled systems, so other updates to come?