recommend a pole top mount for 3x235 watt panels

I'm looking for a decent pole mount for my 3, 235 watt panels. I don't require anything fancy, just something I can adjust the angle to a few times a year, and is fairly affordable. Each panel measures 65"x39", the plan is to sink a pipe out near the north edge of my property and put this mount on it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Re: recommend a pole top mount for 3x235 watt panels

I have no personal experience with this one but I've been looking at THIS top of pole mount on ebay and considering it as an inexpensive solution for my next system expansion.

I have one array on a Wattsun pole mount tracker which I am very happy with but they are expensive. Other comercial fixed pole mount systems are also pretty expensive.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those U bolt clamps will not hold well in high wind. Even the ones for TV receiving antennas have toothed "grippers" to bite the pipe.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

Very good point Mike! He does sell just the bracket for the top of the pole, so I suppose one could substitute a square profile piece of metal stock- but then adjustment of angle would be more difficult...
  • Glamsland
    Glamsland Registered Users Posts: 8

Attachment not found.

I have this pole mount at my cabin. I made it my self. It is driven by the tinytracker solartracking system. Works just fine!
    Its 3ps 100w panels. Just remember to think about the wind, and how it will behave when the wind rocking on the panels. Make it steady....

Runar
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Glamsland wrote: »
    I have this pole mount at my cabin. I made it my self.

Looks very sturdy. Is it sturdy enough to expand your array at some time in the future? Where is it located... snow country? Can it go vertical? The terrain looks rocky... how deep does the pole go? What's that tower on the right side (edge) of the photo?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Glamsland
    Glamsland Registered Users Posts: 8

The tower is a high viltage mast.. (20000v) ... It goes just by the cabin thru the woods ... I am in a snow country, in south Norway. We had like 1 meter snow this winter.but no problem for the panels, the snow dont reach the actuator and anyway i dont drive the actuator so much in the winter, the sun dont move so mutch then The pole is a steel pole with a steel Bracket that is bolted to the rocks with 24mm bolts, so it will survive in any weather we have up here. The frame for the panels is made of steel brackets bought in a electrician store and welded together. The big pipe on the top that make is turn has bearings on the top and the sides, just to make it move as smooth as possible..It has a 3-step vertikal adjustment, like a "sommer, fall/spring, and winter setting.
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm seeing a trend here....roll yer own mount! I'm going to mount these close enough to the ground so I can clean them off (it snows a fair amount here in MN). I suppose I could even mount two pipes for a bit more security (and possible expansion)
  • JAS33
    JAS33 Registered Users Posts: 5

If you are looking for something that is easy to adjust the tilt angle, check out these pole mounts. www.mtsolar.us They have a hand crank that makes it pretty easy to change tilt.