sun exposure at my house

Options
ghcoupons
ghcoupons Registered Users Posts: 6
Hello, new guy here, somewhat new to solar and I'm trying to learn. My main question is about the sun hours I'll get at my house. I have seen some sort of a dial that shows the winter and summer sun and where the trees will hit, etc, but I'm not sure where to get one, if they're very expensive or even what they're called.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• ghcoupons
    Options
    Re: sun exposure at my house

Well no sooner had I posted this than I came across some apple apps that provide a 3D augmented reality type scenario. I'm not sure what I'm looking at. It shows the path of the sun and various markers so I assume this is used to show the pathway of the sun and what objects are in the way, but I'm not sure how to hold them or use it. lol
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Depending on the resolution of the satellite imagery of your area, ours is low and 5 years old, you can use a tool in GoogleEarth...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ghcoupons
    Options

does it have a name in google earth? I'd like to look that up. ive only seen a screen shot of the tool im looking for, but it showed a fish eye view of the sky overhead, the path of the sun in winter and summer and then any obstacles you may or may not encounter. I want to see what my home is like from a solar panel perspective. I suspect I'll need to trim some trees. Thanks for the reply.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The are three significant factors involved;

1. weather adjusted insolation in your area, see pvwatts. This is the most important one.
    2. obstructions from the natural landscape. For most people these will be insignificant, but some solar modelling software can build whats called a 3d DEM model to show the horizon for your house. Like i said, its unlikely this will be important, even if you live next to a 10000ft mountain, because the obstructions are near the horizon when insolation is at its lowest point in the day.
    3. loca shading, neighbours houses, trees, etc. Unless you live in one of special google urban areas this data wont exist anywhere but out of your two eyes. You can buy products that will show these, but only professional installers generally (can afford) to use them. Observation is your best tool there.

Does that answer your qu?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• ghcoupons
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    The are three significant factors involved;

1. weather adjusted insolation in your area, see pvwatts. This is the most important one.
    2. obstructions from the natural landscape. For most people these will be insignificant, but some solar modelling software can build whats called a 3d DEM model to show the horizon for your house. Like i said, its unlikely this will be important, even if you live next to a 10000ft mountain, because the obstructions are near the horizon when insolation is at its lowest point in the day.
    3. loca shading, neighbours houses, trees, etc. Unless you live in one of special google urban areas this data wont exist anywhere but out of your two eyes. You can buy products that will show these, but only professional installers generally (can afford) to use them. Observation is your best tool there.

Does that answer your qu?

Well, yes and no...sort of. lol Sorry for the basic questions here. I live in a hilly wooded area so I fully expect to encounter some tree blockage. If one tree was cut down I think solar could work very well in the summer at least. I looked my place up on google earth but it was a very fuzzy pic that was old and didn't provide much data. Using observation as you suggested makes me think the long southern facing portion of my roof and the shorter east facing portion of my roof could be a candidate. I do not recall how much sun we get in this area of the roof in winter due to trees on the hill above us, but then again the leaves will be gone so I expect this is a common obstacle. All that was one of the reasons I wanted to find a tool that would show both seasons and the suns path. Would it help if I posted pics of my roof facing due east (from a compass) to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with?

I found an app I may use but I was unsure about mentioning it as it may appear I am spaming, which I assure you I am not. Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about and I removed the name. Thank you again for the assistance.
  • ghcoupons
    Options

also, I did find a pvwatt calculator online and entered my info. What numbers should I focus on or post up here?

Thank you.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options

Our own forum host provides some very good practical 2D charts you can use if you are in the U.S. :

http://www.solar-electric.com/solar-insolation-maps.html/

Most of us design around winter, for example in Los Angeles, that would be about 3-4 hours at best. This would be used for the calculations to ensure that your battery can get a decent charge, depending on how deeply discharged your battery is, and the size of the array.

Of course this doesn't take into account extremely local conditions like nearby shade trees. However it will get you into the ballpark fast and you can design a system around the charts.
  • ghcoupons
    Options
    PNjunction wrote: »
    Our own forum host provides some very good practical 2D charts you can use if you are in the U.S. :

http://www.solar-electric.com/solar-insolation-maps.html/

Most of us design around winter, for example in Los Angeles, that would be about 3-4 hours at best. This would be used for the calculations to ensure that your battery can get a decent charge, depending on how deeply discharged your battery is, and the size of the array.

Of course this doesn't take into account extremely local conditions like nearby shade trees. However it will get you into the ballpark fast and you can design a system around the charts.

These are very helpful posts, thank you for everyones help. I see where I am at and have other questions for a different thread. Thank you.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghcoupons wrote: »
    also, I did find a pvwatt calculator online and entered my info. What numbers should I focus on or post up here?

PVwatts is easy to use. Put your array azimith and elevation in, and it wil give you a table of equiv sun hours for each month of the year. This is weather adjusted, and uses satelite irradience models, they claim an resolution of around 10km.

You take the 12 monthly figures, the highest might say 5hrs, the lowest 2hours. How big of a difference between winter and summer, plus your budget, and access to other charging sources, will determine your design target. Money notwithstanding youd aim to cover the winter figure. If you have a genset you can forget the three lowest months. If you have hydro, you can worry less about those months. Etc.

If you have tall trees close to your place, then youll either have to cut them down, or move the array to a clearing. Solar and shade arent really happy bedfellows. If you can get solar access from mid morning to mid afteroon, then your good to go. Dont sweat the margins.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar