Generator remote start advice please?

richb
richb Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi there - I'm seeking a bit of practical input/advice regarding connecting generators for autostart.

I have a small-ish solar rig up in the mountains for an occasional use cabin in the Southern Sierras. I've been running on a slightly smaller version of this for a while, and for the occasional battery charging we've been using a small Honda EU2000 which works just fine. I'd now like to add an autostart / remote-start generator to the mix - not so much for charging the batteries when we're not there, but simply because the system is far from the cabin and it would be great to be able to start the generator up from the Outback Mate in the cabin.

So here's the meat of the question: I have an Atkinson GSCM which seems like it can handle about anything; there's a bunch of these <$1,000 portables out there with electric start (the Champion 41532, and the Briggs & Stratton 30470 are good examples - I realize these are not fantastic generators as far as quality, but I think they're appropriate to my needs if they can be configured for remote start):

1) Are people just hacking into the key/button start switches on these things to get them connected to the relay closure?
2) Will this work with *any* generator that has an electric start via key/button and automatic choke?
3) Is there something else specific I need to be looking out for with regard to this connection/getting it to work?

Many thanks for whatever advice you can give me!

rich b

(Outback VFX3524, Outback Mate3, Flexmax 60, 12 x 2V 700AH AGMs, 6 x 250W Sharp panels)

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Generator remote start advice please?

Hi rich b, Welcome to the Forum,

While it is not too polite, have you looked at this Thread (?):
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?17569-Choosing-a-good-generator

And if you search this Forum with the term "auto-start generator" or "remote start generator"

Many folks have done many things to make remote/auto-start work with their gensets.

Stating the obvious, it is really nice if the candidate electric start genset also has an Automatic Choke.

Other Threads here discuss some of the Champion gensets in detail ... I know nothing of them.
    Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • richb

Thanks Vic - yes, I have looked at those. I'm not so much seeking purchase advice on a generator (pretty well versed in the advantages/disadvantages of different fuel types, inverter vs non, etc...), and yes, like I said, I do know it needs to be auto choke. Since I haven't done this, just looking for a little clarity on the three questions I asked:

1) Are people just hacking into the key/button start switches on these things to get them connected to the relay closure?
    2) Will this work with *any* generator that has an electric start via key/button and automatic choke?
    3) Is there something else specific I need to be looking out for with regard to this connection/getting it to work?

thanks again,
    rich
  • Vic

Hi rich b,

Sorry, missed YOUR reference to auto-choke.

The Champion vs Briggs wonderment on your part made me believe that there might be a question regarding brand trade-offs.

Some gensets, like many Hondas with electric start have a Remote Start accessory kit.

Until you identify THE target genset, the exact approach required will be a question. Believe that the Atkinson is a good box, and very capable.

The generator room here is only 225 ft away from the residence, and ALWAYS manually start the gensets here -- like to bond with them, and manually warm them up, and then manually ramp up the genset loading, using the Inverter AC Charger settings, and kind of keep an eye on Charge progress ... none of this is remote ... need this slight exercise. So have nothing to add.
    Good Luck, VIc
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SteveA
    SteveA Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭

The Champion with auto-choke also has a remote key fob. But yest you just hook the two wires up to your relay and it goes (for the most part).

there's also a guy that's putting a remote start kit on the honda EU2000i if you search on youtube. kinda pricy though.
  • richb

Thanks Vic!

OK, let's assume I don't want the exercise.. ;-)

Let me rephrase then - and let me also say that reading a schematic, dorking around with a multimeter, and rewiring things are within my skill set (in a previous life I was a EE):

Let's say I went with one of the mentioned generators (Champion or B&S); Are people just hacking into the start key switch / button to wire in the necessary 2 or 3 wire relay closures from the Atkinson GSCM or similar device? Would there be anything else I need to watch out for with regard to remote start with either of these generators? IOW, will pretty much any generator with electric start and auto choke work with regard to remote starting this way?

Really just looking for a little affirmation that my thinking is correct before I start voiding warranties, etc...

Thanks to all!
    rich
  • richb

Oh, cool - thanks Steve - you posted while i was posting! The EU2000 is really great, but a touch underpowered for this particular task, though I'm definitely gonna hang on to it for other stuff.

Any other wisdom on this anyone would care to share on the subject?

thanks!
    rich
  • Vic

rich ,

Have read almost all of the Threads with generators as part of the Topic. I just have not worried about some of the finer details.

Recall that some of the Remote Start hacks (might) have had the downside that the genset's starting battery could be run down over a period of time by some parasitic load by some part of the genset's internals. One such situation MIGHT have been on generators that have the Fob Remote Start doo-dad.

There might be other subtle things that I have not paid attention to. Really have nothing meaningful to add, have not done any of these mods, or used the Honda kit on the EU6500isa genset here, but believe that that kit is easy to install, with few if any gotchas.

One member here has used a Champion (with a model number that he speced) in an Auto Gen Start Generator Support application, and recall no real heartaches mentioned. It is in one of those Threads here. Probably Demo of Generator Support.

Good luck, my meager buffer is quite empty. Vic
  • richb
    Vic wrote: »
    Good luck, my meager buffer is quite empty. Vic

Thanks - actually this has been a lot of help already - at least it confirms that hacking into the electric start switch is the basic idea. Also will be sure to look at battery draw implications.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Anyone else who has any thoughts would be welcome.

best,
    rich
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    richb wrote: »
    Hi there - I'm seeking a bit of practical input/advice regarding connecting generators for autostart.

I have a small-ish solar rig up in the mountains for an occasional use cabin in the Southern Sierras. I've been running on a slightly smaller version of this for a while, and for the occasional battery charging we've been using a small Honda EU2000 which works just fine. I'd now like to add an autostart / remote-start generator to the mix - not so much for charging the batteries when we're not there, but simply because the system is far from the cabin and it would be great to be able to start the generator up from the Outback Mate in the cabin.

Don't know about the other generators, but Honda EU6500is generators are 3-wire, 2-relay start-stop generators. 3 positives and a negative. Start (Relay, normally off), Stop (Relay, normally off), Run signal (no relay), and a common negative. There are 6 pins in the remote control port in a 3x2 arrangement, but the 2 center pins are not used. The EU2000 don't have a remote control port, so you'll need to violate the warranty to get that to work with an autostart. Also hacking the electric start interface of the GCU is a little different than exploiting the remote control port. You'll need to get the shop manual for the generator ($40 on eBay) to really get anywhere. The shop manual is not all that layman-friendly.
  • garys
    garys Registered Users Posts: 1
    Don't know about the other generators, but Honda EU6500is generators are 3-wire, 2-relay start-stop generators. 3 positives and a negative. Start (Relay, normally off), Stop (Relay, normally off), Run signal (no relay), and a common negative. There are 6 pins in the remote control port in a 3x2 arrangement, but the 2 center pins are not used. The EU2000 don't have a remote control port, so you'll need to violate the warranty to get that to work with an autostart. Also hacking the electric start interface of the GCU is a little different than exploiting the remote control port. You'll need to get the shop manual for the generator ($40 on eBay) to really get anywhere. The shop manual is not all that layman-friendly.

Dear YehoshuaAgapao,
    I also have a Xantrex AGS controlling a Honda EU6500is but have yet to get it to work correctly.
    Would you be able to help me out?
    I have the AGS plugged into the Honda's remote start port bringing the 4 pins to the AGS.
    I originally set the Generator Type in the AGS to Type 14. I have recently switched it to Type 8.
    I can manually start and stop the generator from the AGS but I cannot get it to properly work when the AGS is set to operate "automatically".
    Could you tell me please what generator Type you are using in the AGS and also which pins in the generator are going to which wires on the AGS? Are you bringing a separate (5th) wire into the AGS from the generator's battery negative?

I would really appreciate your help.
    Thank you.
    Gary