Run 240VAC, 7.9A Well Pump off Honda EU7000?

Options
Rossman
Rossman Solar Expert Posts: 178 ✭✭
Hi,

Time for some real newbie questions!

I have a Honda EU7000 and want to employ the 30A, 240VAC plug on the generator to power up the Grundfos SQ well pump we have installed, so we can get pressurized water while our house is being built.

The well pump electrical box has two leads for load (connected already to the well pump) and two leads for line (which I presume are the two hot legs of the 240V circuit). Neutral does not appear to be used. Ground is also present and terminated in that electrical box.

Can I just get a 240VAC plug with a pigtail and attach that to the pump pressure switch, then plug this into the outlet on the generator? How concerned do I need to be about ground? I note, in the EU7000 manual it mentions an external ground point on the frame that can be used...not sure if/when exactly this comes into play.

Thanks,
mark

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Run 240VAC, 7.9A Well Pump off Honda EU7000?
    Can I just get a 240VAC plug with a pigtail and attach that to the pump pressure switch, then plug this into the outlet on the generator? How concerned do I need to be about ground? I note, in the EU7000 manual it mentions an external ground point on the frame that can be used...not sure if/when exactly this comes into play.

And if you are lucky, you get to live. If nothing ever goes wrong. Safety grounding the generator & pump, is beyond what I can cover.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Rossman
    Options

Thanks for the, uh, response, I guess, even though it's not particularly helpful.

The well pump manual specifically states it can be run off a generator, I am just trying to figure out how to do this safely.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Define "pigtail".

Can you wire the pump's 240 VAC line to a plug that goes in the generator? Yes you can. And it ought to work.

Should it be grounded? For preference, yes. Pound a proper 10' ground rod into the Earth and connect up to both pump and generator (beware of looping back through the outlet).

240 VAC does not use a neutral: only when split-phase (120) Voltage is needed is there a neutral line.

If you've got a pressure switch and tank then it sounds like most of the installation is done and all you're doing is substituting the generator for grid power. Is this so?

I'm not keen on saying this sort of thing but this is one of those situations where if you have to ask how maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Seriously; there is enough power there to kill someone. Add water to it and you can spread that death around.

And before anybody gets their nose out of joint, yes well drillers test pump installs with ungrounded generators before they do the final hook-up. It's a matter of knowing what to do at what stage of the installation.
  • Rossman
    Options
    Define "pigtail".

Like a 30A plug on one end that has a few feet of electrical wires which are just left bare.
    If you've got a pressure switch and tank then it sounds like most of the installation is done and all you're doing is substituting the generator for grid power. Is this so?

You got it, it's just sitting there waiting for me to wire it to my service panel but that is a few weeks off, so I just wanted to power it up temporarily until then.
    I'm not keen on saying this sort of thing but this is one of those situations where if you have to ask how maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Seriously; there is enough power there to kill someone. Add water to it and you can spread that death around.

I know basically what to do I'm just asking so that I don't destroy anything. I do appreciate your more level cautionary note though, and will be safe! I mostly didn't know if I could just connect it to the EU7000 and live with its internal ground or if I may as well start driving the grounding rods for the house now and use those.

Cheers!