Is the system set up right

Options
2»

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Is the system set up right

sounds like you h ave killed off some of the alligators in the pond. An inexpensive batt monitor is the MidNite BCM, not a full service monitor but will give you a reading on if the battery has been fully charged in, up to, the last 3 weeks and a % charge state.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/nsearch.html?catalog=wind-sun&x=0&y=0&query=MNBCM

hth

ps I agree on the battery bank being too small. I have 2 x that for one house, no A/C either...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • wiggy
    wiggy Registered Users Posts: 20
    Options

Hi all its been a while but I thought I would update you on the state of the system.
    The Dutch engineer was dismissed from the system early last year. Contact with Victron Energy, who recommended this supposed engineer has not gone well they are denying all knowledge of this and have therfore no customer service of any shape or form or care towards their clients.
    After my last post I basically told the owner of the villa to get rid of the Dutch engineer who works for Yatch Fit.
    We are now using an English engineer who with very limited time set up the system to run and get us through the summer. At last the generator is going to be configured to single phase. The Quattros I hope will be changed for units that are compatible with each other, and everything else three phase can be traded.
    The upshot of all this is the system will be returned to a functional state that can handle all that is thrown at it.
    The generator also broke down twice last year, which was very dissapointing and made us wonder if the Dutch engineer had conned the owner yet again and had put a refurbished unit in place. We have contacted the generator supplier and they assure us it is a new unit. All in all the owner has been let down really badly by this supposed engineer,and Victron energy who have not helped the situation with a nothing to do with me attitude towards a customer who has spent an absolute fortune on a system that was not fit for purpose.
    Bottom line on all this is the owner now has to pay out yet again to get a system that works full time. As for me I am just relieved that this is happening as it has stressed me out beyond belief.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Glad to hear you are alive and well--And that the system may be off "life support" soon and running the way it should.

It does make a person better appreciate how well our utility/grid systems actually to operate vs trying to be our own utility.

Another reason we highly suggest extreme conservation and keeping systems on the "small" side. Large systems need a good/experienced power engineer to design and oversee to ensure proper and reliable operation--None of that will be "cheap" (sounds like the villa owner has been trying to hire the right people for the right jobs--And not having very good luck at that).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wiggy
    Options

Yep just unlucky I guess
  • wiggy
    Options

Well hello there

Its been a while and I did say I would let you know the outcome of the system.
    Back in the days when then system was going wrong and I was pulling my hair out I sought advice and got good stuff from you guys. I informed the owner of the system to get rid of the incompetent Dutch engineer and find another. Well he did and I am pleased to tell you that he found an English engineer who found the problems with the set up. It soon became apparant that the Dutch engineer did not in any way shape or form earth the system including the generator. There were wiring issues to but the bulk of the problems came from grounding issues. Now I'm no engineer (and neither is he) but even I can surmise that you would probably need to earth the system somewhere.
    I was gong to leave it there but thought better of it and contacted the European Union Trading Standards Offices as I believe this idiot should at least be stopped from doing what he has done to somebody else, Victron Energy will be getting a call from them as well due to really poor customer service and being in cohoots with the Dutch idiot.
    So all things being equal we shall see what we shall see

The only other thing I would like the owner to do is find a slow start solution for his submerged water pump which has probably already been asked before if so I'm sorry

Happy days

Wiggy
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options

A very interesting read. Sorry you had to go through so much of a stressful situation, when it all could have been avoided had the original engineer been qualified to do the job in the first place.
    Paul
  • wiggy
    Options
    ILFE wrote: »
    A very interesting read. Sorry you had to go through so much of a stressful situation, when it all could have been avoided had the original engineer been qualified to do the job in the first place.

You are not wrong the crux of all this is that Victron Energy recommended the guy and that is what wrangled me the most

Susen fusen dick dastardly

Wiggy
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

There are lots of pumps out there that will have soft start (good for off grid system). And since some of them are made in Europe--You might have better pricing that we do:

Grundfos pumps
    Dankoff Solar pumps
    Sunpumps
    Lorentz solar

And then, you can use a VFD (variable frequency drive--Think of 3 phase output variable frequency AC inverter)--Gives you soft start/controllable RPM and you can use standard 3 phase water pumps and even some pumps with external start capacitors.
    BB. wrote: »
    Some discussions about VFD (Variable Frequency Drives)... Basically a variable frequency inverter with (typically) three phase output. Used to soft start motors (handy for 3 phase well pumps, or pumps with well head starting capacitor) and can also turn an AC motor into a variable speed motor (very handy for pumping applications).

WELL PUMP and Inverter QUESTION

Wind/solar for large scale pumping etc (out of my depth!)
    could use knowledge - using Gould jet pump - transfering from 230vAC to ? DC (new link/thread 10/27/2012)
    Help required to design off grid system (information on possibilities to connect "standard VFDs direct to solar panels) (new link 1/13/2013)

As always, your needs will help you to better define your search parameters... Size of pump/water usage will define the pumps that will work in your application.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wiggy
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    There are lots of pumps out there that will have soft start (good for off grid system). And since some of them are made in Europe--You might have better pricing that we do:

Grundfos pumps
    Dankoff Solar pumps
    Sunpumps
    Lorentz solar

And then, you can use a VFD (variable frequency drive--Think of 3 phase output variable frequency AC inverter)--Gives you soft start/controllable RPM and you can use standard 3 phase water pumps and even some pumps with external start capacitors.

As always, your needs will help you to better define your search parameters... Size of pump/water usage will define the pumps that will work in your application.

-Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for the info nice to know your still about and giving good advice