Inverter short circuit protection

kansas
kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
I'm new here so my question may appear painfully obvious to some. Right now I am thinking through the wiring and fusing for my small stand-alone system. The charge controller (not inverter) I've decided on is the Morningstar ProStar.
Its specification sheet states:

• Short-circuit — solar and load
• Overload — solar and load
• Reverse polarity
• Reverse current at night
• High voltage disconnect
• High temperature disconnect
• Lightning and transient surge protection
• Loads protected from voltage spikes
• Automatic recovery with all protections

My question - does "short circuit -- solar and load" and "overload -- solar and load" mean that I do not need to fuse the connection between the controller and modules? I assume the short circuit protection between the module and load pertains to the DC load. Fusing would therefore still be required between the controller and the battery. Have I got it right? Since I'm installing several modules in parallel, I'll be fusing the individual modules anyway, and so assume that feature of the ProStar will not be relevant to my wiring. Correct? Thanks in advance for your help. Bill
Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Inverter short circuit protection

Well first of all a Prostar is a charge controller, not an inverter.

The notations of short circuit and overload are built-in protection it has for both the PV input and anything connected to the LOAD terminals.

On the PV side over-current protection on the array is not strictly necessary as PV is self-limiting on current. Over-current protection on multiple PV strings is necessary if there are more than two parallel connections.

It is a good idea to have fuses or breakers on connection to the batteries and any loads. Whereas the controller is protected the wiring between it and the batteries and loads is not, so keep that in mind when sizing wires and fitting protection.
  • kansas
    kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Re: Inverter short circuit protection

Thanks, just what I needed to know.
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.