24v panel , low $ 12v charge controller

kev1n69
kev1n69 Registered Users Posts: 19
does any one make a low budget charge controller that will work with a 12v output and 30vdc input
i have an extra 24v panel and would like to use it to run some yard lights at night 3ea 10 watt 12v led floodlights. and a smallish sla battery. current on the panel is just over 8 amps.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 24v panel , low $ 12v charge controller

That depends on your opinion of "low budget" and/or how efficient you want it to be.
    As a rule and MPPT type controller that could make full use of the panel power would not be "low budget" for most people being as it would be $300 or so. There may be 'real' MPPT controllers out there for less, but there are a lot of fake ones too so beware.

Otherwise a PWM controller that can handle the high Voltage input will pass the current but not 'down-convert' the higher Voltage into greater Amps.
  • jimindenver
    jimindenver Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have used a Eco-worthy 20a MPPT controller from ebay for a few years now. They work well with a 24v panel up to around 270w depending on the VOC as the controller is limited to 42v. It has a display, adjustable set points and a internal temperature sensor but no means of hooking up a remote sensor for temp or voltage. This year I will be using twin 245w panels on two controllers paralleled into one bank for up to 34a.

It is $102 shipped here. http://www.eco-worthy.com/catalog/mppt-solar-charge-controller-free-shipping-p-182.html
  • kev1n69
    kev1n69 Registered Users Posts: 19
    I have used a Eco-worthy 20a MPPT controller from ebay for a few years now. They work well with a 24v panel up to around 270w depending on the VOC as the controller is limited to 42v. It has a display, adjustable set points and a internal temperature sensor but no means of hooking up a remote sensor for temp or voltage. This year I will be using twin 245w panels on two controllers paralleled into one bank for up to 34a.

It is $102 shipped here. http://www.eco-worthy.com/catalog/mppt-solar-charge-controller-free-shipping-p-182.html

thanks jim that sounds like exactly what i was looking for i will check it out