Morningstar tristar MPPT Custom setting for trojan L16h

Hi guy I have search the forum but not find the info I need so I hope someone could give me a hand. I have a cruiser boat with 2x sharp 130 watt panel, 2x trojan L16h, im now using the mode 6 for couple of years but from the reading it is not the absolute best for my trojan at: absorb 14.7 float 13.5 equalize 15.4

Trojan recommend 14.1-14.7 float 13.2 equalize 15.5
Those number are pretty strait forward to enter but looking at all the option im really lost and dont know what to choose so please can anyone help me on choose the right custom program as I dont want to screw up

Thank

so here is the option i have and im lost there

Absorption stetting:

Absorption time:
Enable absorption extension: Y/N
Absorption extension voltage:
Absorption extension time:

Battery Temperature compensation:
Max Temperature compensation:
Min Temperature compensation:

Enable maximum regulation limit: Y/N
Maximum regulation limit:

Enable battery current limit:Y/N
Battery current limit:

Float Setting

Float voltage:
Float time out:
Enable float cancel: Y/N
Float cancel voltage:

Equalize setting

Equalize voltage:
Equalize time:
Auto equalize interval:
Equalize timeout:

Enable HVC: Y/N
High voltage disconnect:
Hight voltage reconnect:

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Morningstar tristar MPPT Custom setting for trojan L16h

Do you have MSView software up and running between your PC and controller ?

You should be able to take the factory defaults, and tweak the voltages to match the Mfg's suggestions. Absorb time, try 60 minutes, and if you are really boiling the batteries scale it back in 15 minute chunks, if they are fadeing too fast, add 15 minutes till you get to a stable rate - I change my summer & winter settings.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stephane
    stephane Registered Users Posts: 4
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Do you have MSView software up and running between your PC and controller ?

You should be able to take the factory defaults, and tweak the voltages to match the Mfg's suggestions. Absorb time, try 60 minutes, and if you are really boiling the batteries scale it back in 15 minute chunks, if they are fadeing too fast, add 15 minutes till you get to a stable rate - I change my summer & winter settings.

Thank for your help sorry for my ignorance im french Canadian native and dont know what "fading" mean so I try google translate but he dont know either!

Im not in the boat right now, I have this controller for 4 years but never connect it to a computer so far so no update have ever been made since new. Now I want to do it so and at the same time will tweak the setting. I have a MAC + Vmware and window 7, I receive my Tripp Lite USB to Serial Adapter U209-000-R yesterday and install it seem to work flawlessly I read all the tutorial and will do uptate next week on on the boat.

I live in Ontario Canada thousand island the panel are fixed on the boat nose and canot be move the boat is never at the same place and im rarely in optimal charging state so it very hard to do any testing cause im never in the same charge situation.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    stephane wrote: »
    Thank for your help sorry for my ignorance im french Canadian native and dont know what "fading" mean so I try google translate but he dont know either!

It is an idiomatic use of the word, so you need not expect to find it so easily.

Fading, meaning literally decreasing in brightness or color intensity, is used in these cases to indicate a decrease in health, quality, or other condition.
    What Mike meant was that if the average SOC of the battery bank is slowly decreasing day by day, then you should increase the Absorb time.
    You are trying to find a balance between using too much water (boiling the batteries) and no charging them enough (fading) recognizing that each day may give you a little more or a little less overall charge from your PV system and you may use a little more or less than your average power. You are interested in long term trends, so that you do not have to do maintenance on the batteries (adding water or doing a supplemental charging cycle) very often.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • stephane

thank for the clarify way more clear now. It will be hard to leard this way cause as the boat move and never park the same way I never have the same charge
    anyway will do my best thank to all and if by any luck someone have same battery or could fill the number I will appreciate it

thank

inetdog wrote: »
    It is an idiomatic use of the word, so you need not expect to find it so easily.

Fading, meaning literally decreasing in brightness or color intensity, is used in these cases to indicate a decrease in health, quality, or other condition.
    What Mike meant was that if the average SOC of the battery bank is slowly decreasing day by day, then you should increase the Absorb time.
    You are trying to find a balance between using too much water (boiling the batteries) and no charging them enough (fading) recognizing that each day may give you a little more or a little less overall charge from your PV system and you may use a little more or less than your average power. You are interested in long term trends, so that you do not have to do maintenance on the batteries (adding water or doing a supplemental charging cycle) very often.
  • stephane

Ok I did the program update today everything went well I also try to do a custom program but it is way more complicated than i expect the term from the custom charge setting are different from the one they use for the preset so im lost so far I keep the factory setting until I could understand better what to do. will really appreciate if someone could share is custom setting. I also send a email to trojan support but they never even reply seem like there customer service suck big time
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephane wrote: »
    Ok I did the program update today everything went well I also try to do a custom program but it is way more complicated than i expect the term from the custom charge setting are different from the one they use for the preset so im lost so far I keep the factory setting until I could understand better what to do. will really appreciate if someone could share is custom setting. I also send a email to trojan support but they never even reply seem like there customer service suck big time

Here's my setting, but it's for a 42cell NiFe battery bank, nothing at all like what you will need. Your controller may have some different /missing options than mine does.

Mode: Solar Charge
    Setpoints (set the System Voltage with DIP switches 2 3):
    Regulation Voltage: 16.70 V (12V), 33.40 V (24V), 66.80 V (48V)
    Temperature Compensation: -0.030 V/degC (12V), -0.060 V/degC (24V), -0.121 V/degC
    (48V)
    Max. Compensation Temp.: 80 deg C
    Min. Compensation Temp.: -40 deg C

Absorption Time: 38:00 h:m:s
    Absorption Ext. Voltage: 12.11 V (12V), 24.22 V (24V), 48.45 V (48V)
    Absorption Ext. Time: 49:00 h:m:s

Battery Service Reminder: disabled days
    Float Voltage: 16.10 V (12V), 32.20 V (24V), 64.40 V (48V)
    Float Timeout: 10:00 h:m:s
    Float Cancel Voltage: 11.57 V (12V), 23.14 V (24V), 46.27 V (48V)
    Equalize Voltage: disabled V
    HVD: 16.92 V (12V), 33.84 V (24V), 67.68 V (48V)
    HVDR: 16.75 V (12V), 33.50 V (24V), 66.99 V (48V)
    Maximum Regulation Limit: 16.81 V (12V), 33.62 V (24V), 67.24 V (48V)
    Maximum Battery Current: 0.00 A
    Array Voltage Fixed Target: disabled V
    LED G -> G/Y: 15.90 V (12V), 31.81 V (24V), 63.61 V (48V)
    LED G/Y -> Y: 14.50 V (12V), 29.00 V (24V), 58.01 V (48V)
    LED Y -> Y/R: 12.50 V (12V), 25.00 V (24V), 50.01 V (48V)
    LED Y/R -> R: 11.80 V (12V), 23.60 V (24V), 47.20 V (48V)
    Meterbus ID: 1
    Modbus ID: 1
    Controller name: TS-MPPT
    DHCP enabled: true
    HTTP TCP Port: 80
    Modbus TCP Port: 502
    IP Bridging Enabled: false
    Ethernet Power Save Mode: false
    SMTP server:
    SMTP username:
    SMTP password:
    SMTP "To" email address:
    SNMP Trap Receiver IP: 0.0.0.0
    SNMP Trap Receiver port: 162
    Notif. 1 enabled: false
    Notif. 2 enabled: false
    Notif. 3 enabled: false
    Notif. 4 enabled: false
    Log Max Daily Va: true
    Log Max Daily Pout: true
    Log Daily Ah Charge: true
    Log Daily Wh Charge: true
    Log Daily Battery Temp.: true
    Log Daily Regulation Times: true
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,