What 4 bad weather days in row looks like without a generator

Options
2»

Comments

• jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: What 4 bad weather days in row looks like without a generator

Where I am, unless you are living like a hermit, you will need a generator in winter. With a larger set of panels, you might get by with low yearly run times. Year before last, mine ran 35 hrs for the entire year. The bulk of that being during Dec and Jan. The irony with that is grid power goes out alot here due to trees and I know grid connected people who have backup generators that run more than mine. I haven't added it up yet, but this past year my generator ran more than 35 hrs, but that was due to having contractors working on the house from late Oct thru to Feb.

Larger panels work for me because in summer I run AC and having a bigger set of panels allows me to do that with no change in lifestyle. I haven't hooked it up yet but my plan for spring/fall excess juice is to preheat hot water. In winter, the large array lets me charge the battery more quickly. So even in a short winter day I can fully charge my battery when it's 50% and even have enough daylight for a short EQ. The larger array minimizes generator use, but doesn't eliminate it.

I would imagine if we change our lifestyle, we could probably go without any generator at all. Not sure how the wife would like those lifestyle changes tho.

I've actually been thinking about buying more panels. They are still cheap.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Photowhit, I am playing a bit on the semantics, as, once the batteries are charged, I call a load I decide to apply an opportunity load as opposed to a load that is automatically applied which I prefer to call a diversion load, which is slightly different than the usual use of 'diversion' when talking about, say, Wind.
    So in my case if I happen to be there I can start up the clothes washer , but if I'm away the programming kicks in and makes DH water.
    Hope this makes sense.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jtdiesel65 wrote: »
    Where I am, unless you are living like a hermit, you will need a generator in winter. With a larger set of panels, you might get by with low yearly run times. Year before last, mine ran 35 hrs for the entire year. The bulk of that being during Dec and Jan. The irony with that is grid power goes out alot here due to trees and I know grid connected people who have backup generators that run more than mine. I haven't added it up yet, but this past year my generator ran more than 35 hrs, but that was due to having contractors working on the house from late Oct thru to Feb.

I don't know where you live, but I suspect I "...lived like a hermit" in general this last winter in mid Missouri. I use wood for heat, and heated water with the array, I had a few luke(?) warm showers, and once went to a friends a day early to prevent running my batteries down, but mostly it worked. I have another 2.6kw of panels in a closet, that will be directly wired to the water heater by winter, running about 200 volt dc directly, using the hot water like a battery and the thermostat like a Charge controller... my grand experiment, would be more of a challenge if more than 1 person live there on a regular basis
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.