Prosine 2.0 inverter

Hello Folks, I just picked up a Prosine 2.0 (2000 watt) inverter at a price too good to pass up. I do already have an SW4024, but this little unit seemed cool for the price. I'm just wondering if anyone has any particular comments or info to share regarding their experience with the Prosine. I'm not sure what I'll use it for yet, maybe loan it to an off-grid buddy of mine. Any Do's or Don'ts I should keep in mind ? thanks

Comments

• SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
    Re: Prosine 2.0 inverter

James,

After you've had a chance to use it for awhile, I'd be interested in knowing what you think of it. Does it:

Not meet your expetations.
    Meet your expectations.
    Exceed your expectations.

I ask because sometimes manufacturers overexagerate the capabilities of their products. I'm really happy with the Exeltech 1100-watt inverter I bought recently and would say that it exceeds my expectations. Still, I'll need a bigger one at some time in the future.

John
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I'll be looking into a 1500-2000 watt pure sine inverter sometime too. nice to hear the exceltech performs ok, thats on of the ones in my price range. prosine's unfortunately not. im glad to hear any comments on anything in this pricerange too.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

James,

The ProSine models are very popular among RV’ers, so that would suggest a certain level of quality and reliability.

A couple of things to note:

1)  The ProSine 2.0 is both and inverter and a battery charger, so that latter function may come in handy.
    2)  ProSine’s seem to be picky about installation orientation. Check the user’s manual.
    3)  Full-power input current from a 12 V battery bank will be in the 200 A range for the 2 kW model. You’ll need a big breaker or fuse (~250 A), and the cabling between the batteries and the inverter will need to be both large diameter (AWG) and short length. Again, check the manual and other Xantrex documentation.
    4) Here's a link to a supplier of high quality 4/0 cables: http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power.wire.html
    5)  Here’s a link to all of Xantrex’ on-line documentation for the ProSine 2.0: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/41/p/docs/pt/7/product.asp

John,

Competition for the ProSine 2.0 (~$1,600 at NAWS) includes the OutBack FX2012T (~$1500 at NAWS) and the Magnum MS 2012 (~$1,700 at NAWS).

Mattl,

I’m not tryin’ to spend your money for you, but check out these prices on Exeltech 1100 W inverters:

http://store.solar-electric.com/exxp12vol11w.html
    http://www.solarseller.com/exeltech_true_sine_wave_inverters_.htm

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2

excellent thanks!
    John have you used the exceltech remote ? wondering if its a hard off/on switch.

might have to get larger, i have to measure the vacuum power draw sometime.
  • SolarJohn

mattl,

I haven't wired up the remote, but according to the manual it's just a matter of connecting a spst switch to the terminal block on the rear of the inverter.

John
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hello Crewzer,
    Thanks for the response. I did do a lot of research on the unit so i do know the specifics of it, thanks for your input. The unit is actually part of a complete system by xantrex that as I understand, is no longer offered by xantrex. It's called VESTA.  Design as standby power, it is very flexable for various applications. I also have the PDC unit which make a great package. I'm thinking of setting it up for a friend's off grid cabin. What I was looking for was any info regarding experience with Prosine 2.0 issues or problems to be aware of. I'm told by Xantrex tech support that these units are made in china, and basically are not repairable. They simply exchange it if it is under warranty. If not, well, you buy another inverter. Thats my concern as this unit is out of warranty. So, before I put it into service, I wanted to know any issues so I might avoid problems. Thanks

PS I just added a couple photos for those interested
  • SolarJohn

Thanks for the information James. I'll never consider a Prosine inverter if they are considered unrepairable. I don't want to take chances when I spend that much money.

John
  • James

I should add that the tech also told me that when units are out of warranty, but in need of repair, they have exchanged the unit for a new one at a 40-50% discount. Thats about all I know at this point.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

It's funny that looks like the box of the larger Xantrex SW series inverters and even the control panel and faceplate look similar, button layout wise.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • James

The box is large enough for the SW series to fit inside, in fact the higher powered Vesta's used the sw units. They also used some DR units. the web site user manual download shows all the different models...(one manual fits all)
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

James,

I have no direct experience with ProSine inverters. We had a fellow on the forum last year that had several probelms with his system, which included an overheating Prosine 1000. My recollection is that we solved that particular problem by installing it in accordance with Xantrex's recommendations and having a small fan blowing air over it.

Unfortunately, the thread has been deleted...

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I have two of the Prosine 1.0 inverters. One is used daily and powers the TV, sat receiver, computer, computerized embroidery machine and many of the lights in our house. My home is wired for two circuits. One is for lights and entertainment. The other circuit is for everything else (washer, dryer, kitchen appliances, coolers and the rest of the lights) and is supplied by a Xantrex 2500W.

The other Prosine 1.0 is in my RV and considered a "ready spare" for the house as I could swap them in minutes although it's never been necessary.

Since the house Prosine is on anytime the TV, the computer or the Bernina is being used, it's on a lot every day. I have limited memory (grew up in the sixties and they say I had a good time) but I'd guess that Prosine has at least 6 years of daily use with no issues whatsoever.

If it were to fail I'd not hesitate to buy another.

Phil

• James

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for your input.

One other issue the Xantrex techie told me,  was a common problem of folks using too small of guage battery cable.
    For the 2.0 they say 4/0. He stated that most of the problems he has heard of had to do with overheating from too small of cable size.
    j
  • sodamo
    sodamo Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

No knowledge of the Prosine 2.0, but I do have a Prosine 3.0, which has been in daily service for about 16 months. Works great :) I also use the charger function connected to my generator. My only "complaint" if I can call it that is the fact it is strictly 12 volt and I'd have to replace it to upgrade.

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
    12 - 1350ah Rolls Surette 4v
    24kw generator (Chinese, built in Az)
    10kw MEP803A backup generator
  • James

thanks David
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

Sodamo
    I don't know of any, but are there other inverters that are upgradable from 12v to 24v or 48v?
  • James

Another follow-up to my post here...
    a Xantrex tech told me today that the Prosine 2.0 units now being made are, in fact, repairable units.

Does anyone know just how often the fan should come on?
    I have an intermittant sump pump load on this unit and have done some testing to see it the inverter can handle the pump in a power outage. there seems to be no problem. When in charge mode, the unit gets a bit warm, but nothing I would term as excessive. The fan has never cycled as of yet, but again, like i said, i don't know what to expect with this unit.
  • sodamo
    sodamo Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

rplarry

WOW, what was I thinking???? wishful thinking maybe :) an upgradeable product sure would be nice.

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
    12 - 1350ah Rolls Surette 4v
    24kw generator (Chinese, built in Az)
    10kw MEP803A backup generator
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure about this inverter in particular, but the other Xantrex inverters get pretty darn warm before the fan kicks in. Honestly the only time I have had my fan come on with my stacked SW2512's is when I am charging at 100amps on each unit. When inverting even pulling 15 amps at 240vac they don't "fan up". Then again they don't stay at that power for to long.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • System2

As for mounting the ProSine 2.o, does anyone have experiences on mounting it in any other orientation than Xantrex recommends. Or are the moujnting instructions related to UL approvals? We are looking to install one on a boat, but with the space at a premium, we may need to mounted to a bulkhead wall on its "side" (that is with the feet mounted to the wall and the unit mounted lengthwise.

I read somewhere that the Xantrex needs lots of cooling and should be mounted vertically, however they also give you the option of mounting it feet down or upside down (as if mounting it to the underside of a shelf). I can;t think why mounting it on it's side should be any different... but then I've been wrong before (once or twice, I think)

Thanks,
    DogBonz
  • System2

I was and am an avid Prosine 2.0 user. My KW needs made me purchase an Outback 3648 so I could go past the 10KW loads when I have enough solar panels and inverters to do it. But I digress, the Prosine 2.0 has worked well for 4.5 years now. I use it as a backup to the Outback when I need to bring the main offline. It is hooked up to a 660 amp configuration with a trimetric. The only problems I have had with it are>>> running my 120v pump with the motor generator running. however when I bonded the ground correctly that problem went away. Another problem was (when you are close to the lower voltage limit) when you start a motor the unit shuts down and you have to wait for it to recycle. Not a bad feature but when you want electricity you want it NOW. I have not bought a second unit so I can not speak to the 120/240 main hookup. If it were not for my desire to have LOTS of electricity (I am a city kid living green in the summer) I would have bought the second 2.0 and linked them up. I paid close to $2k for the setup (fuse, inverter and controller) so if you got it below $1K I'd say you got a bargain. Lots of luck with it and I wish I had the receptacle in the unit.

Jerry O.
  • James

Hi Jerry,
    Thanks for the response.
    I bought the Vesta unit seen in my photo in earlier post for $500.00.
    I'm happy with the unit so far. I had purchased it for a cabin system I'm setting up for a friend, but i liked it so much i bought the other (last) unit the seller had.

I am using the Prosine to provide backup power for my sump pump and well pump.
    The 120 to 240 autotransformer in the unit is the same raw transformer Xantrex uses in the T240 box they sell. The unit works very nicely with no problems (at least not yet).
    I did perform some test runs with the well pump running and the sump kicking on and vice versa.
    At this point it is basically a backup to my stacked SW4024's. I do have grid power.
    It is just a warm feeling to know I have a backup if the grid fails AND the SW's shut down.

It is imperative to keep the sump operational. I have about a 6-7 hour window after the grid fails before the sump overflows. Of course, I also have two (yes, TWO!!!) backup pumps as well.
    I am trying to figure out a way to gravity drain the sump pit. The sump level is just below the lowest point on my property, so I'm stuck for solutions. By the way, if anyone has some ideas for me regarding that situation, please do let me know.

The Prosine has it's own battery bank. Grid power to the unit to keep batteries charged.
    No connection to solar PV charge source at this time, but easy to do in a pinch.

James