Solar electric Daylighting

Options
DaveH9
DaveH9 Registered Users Posts: 13
I was looking at putting in a couple of tube type skylights. But the prospect of cutting a hole in the roof had me continually putting the project on the back burner. Now i am thinking of doing solar electric day lighting instead. I have a 55w 12v Kyocera module and would like to pair it with a Thin-Lite LED736P Light. Straight usage, no controls or battery. When the sun shines the light lights. Anybody doing this? I wonder if I could run 2 of these lights on this 55w panel. We are PV grid tied, net zero on our electricity. Having an old 12v pv module powering a daylight would enhance the homes lighting and give us a brighter space without doing any construction.

Thanks,

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar electric Daylighting

Well, the solar panel end of the system would be at best 15% efficient in converting sunlight to electrical power.
    The LED light on the other end will be less than 50% efficient in converting electrical power to light, although you may end up with much of that light at useful frequencies.
    Any other circuitry in between will rob more power.

That said, if you can deliver to the inside 5% of the amount of light that a direct skylight of the same size would deliver, would you be happy?

The tube skylights are not 100% efficient, but I am pretty sure they do a lot better than that.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

My in-laws just installed a tube skylight in their upstairs hall/stair well (north facing roof). Lights the area very well and was pretty quick for the contractor to install.

I would probably go that route vs solar panel+LEDs... On my own home, put an operating skylight in during a remodel ~10+ years ago (~18x30 inch--what ever the standard size is). Very happy--Made the dark stairs to the bedrooms/bath a really nice/bright area of the home. Electric with rain detector--Leave it open most of the time for ventilation.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

they even work under 3 feet of snow! though not as 'bright', it has a kind of a grey colour...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • jebatty
    jebatty Solar Expert Posts: 56
    Options

Solar tube lights are phenomenal. Have two, one in an interior bathroom, bright as day during sunshine, and even night light lit at night when the moon is shining. 2nd one is in a back hall with no windows. Same result. One faces SW and the other NE. As mentioned by others, also work well with snow cover.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I built a heliostat - a motorized mirror that tracked the sun and reflected it into my north side windows. Definitely made things brighter inside.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development