OutBack Inverters: FX-Turbo vs. VFX

crewzer
crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
:? More thinking out loud:

The RE system I’m designing for my next house will almost certainly require two inverters. They’ll most likely be Outback parallel-stacked, with both inverters feeding the same 120 VAC leg. One inverter will be the master, and the other the slave, and I expect the latter unit to spend >75% of the time asleep. If I need 240 VAC, I’ll use an X-240 transformer dedicated to that load.

The only real question at this point is whether the inverters will be a pair of Outback sealed FX3048T’s or a pair of vented VFX3648’s. I like the sealed 3048’s, but the extra power from the 3648’s might come in handy. I’m curious, however, about any maintenance issues any of you might have faced with VFX units and their filter/screens.

I suppose another option might be a 3048 for the master and a 3648 for the slave. With the latter being asleep most of the time, there wouldn’t be much air passing through its filters/screens.

Any comments and/or suggestions on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim / crewzer

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: OutBack Inverters: FX-Turbo vs. VFX

you know jim that this will depend on you and what loads you want to put to them now or in the future. there are only certain things, as we all know, that would push the envelope so to speak. it sounds like you're trying to keep conservative, but you know the right combination of large items running in conjunction with the smaller ones that are there normally could stress or exceed the 3048 continuous limits. if there won't be excessive moisture, bugs, dirt, or pet hair where you mount the inverters i'd go with the 3648s. the idea of the combo is an interesting one that i hadn't thought of and it might work, but i'm one who likes balance just in case. the extra 600w from the 3648 master would save you some on power due to the fact it won't switch in the other 3648 as quickly. it will be your judgement call though.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I would lean towards matching units. Maybe once a year swap the master and slave? I would think as long as you keep them relatively clean you should be fine. Do the fans run continuously on Outback’s or are they temp controlled? I have SW’s and the fan only comes on with big loads or have charging.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • DLwindsun
    DLwindsun Administrators Posts: 34 admin

The outback inverters will only run the fans based on the temperature. You normally only have to clean the filter in the VFX inverters once a month. I see many VFX inverters operating in filthy environments and they operate just fine.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Very helpful, everyone; thx.
    I would lean towards matching units. Maybe once a year swap the master and slave?

I really like this idea!

Thanks again,
    Jim / crewzer