Options
crewzer
crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: In the News: 40% PV Cell Efficiency

So what does this mean to the average person. In the article it talks about how the energy lab pushed up the efficiency of solar panels to 30% in 1994 but this apparently did not translate into usable panels for the industry as we are still stuck in the 13% range. It would be fantastic if the 40% were actually achievable at the $0.10/kwh price quoted in the article. How do you interperate their new breakthrough for average "Joe solar?"
  • crewzer
    Options

Good question!

If nothing else, it shows what's technically possible. And, to paraphrase Albert Sloan, Boeing, SpectroLabs owner, is in the business of making money, and not PV modules. Who knows -- perhaps this will spur some additional private and/or public investment!

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Options

It's hard for me to believe the installed price of $3 / watt, when the price of labor alone exceeds that, today. Even assuming that super-panels take up 1/3 the space of present-day panels and thus require less labor, someone would still need to pay for an inverter and other balance-of-system components, even assuming that batteries are not involved.

When I was initially getting quotes, I asked what the price would be if the more efficient Sunpower panels were used. Their greater efficiency actually commanded a higher price per watt (as they should), and the full installed system price for a ~3 kW system was about 15% more.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

this is not pertaining to the pv cell. I got on this site to ask what is the best way to automaticly move a solar panel panel. I live in the mountains and am thinking of putting a solar panel up to charge a battery system. the problem is I live in a valley and have sun light for two hrs in the morning then the mountains get in the way but in the afternoon from 3-6 I have sunlight but it is at about 100 degrees different that where the sun was. I have never had a solar panel so I am just a blank for the auto rotation needed to use the sunlight I get then going back to the morning sunlight. I would like some help thanks RCF
  • crewzer
    Options

You're probably going to need some sort of "tracker". See the following page for some ideas, and then you may want to visit the manufacturers' sites for more info.

http://store.solar-electric.com/panel-mounts.html

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer