Planning my 750W Off-Grid System - Am I doing it right?

2»

Comments

• Tobit
    Tobit Solar Expert Posts: 41
    Re: Planning my 750W Off-Grid System - Am I doing it right?

blackcherry, if you are still following this, what is your charging profile like on the Sam's Duracell GC2's (FLA)? Anything special?

Caribocoot, BB, et. al., thanks again for your help. I will have a new schematic soon for y'all to pick apart.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Tobit wrote: »
    blackcherry, if you are still following this, what is your charging profile like on the Sam's Duracell GC2's (FLA)? Anything special?

Caribocoot, BB, et. al., thanks again for your help. I will have a new schematic soon for y'all to pick apart.
    On a standard 3 Stage Bulk / Absorb / Float profile @ 24 V, 28.8 bulk & absorb and 27 float. You'll have to work on the time for absorb. I usually start with 1-2 hours time and see where the ending amps take you with the hydrometer readings take you. GC-2's are very easy ti charge and will respond to changes in time or voltage.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Plowman wrote: »
    Having bus bars also allowed me to put a small circuit breaker on the cable leading to the positive bus bar (poor man's version of the Blue Sea terminal fuse)---I'm hoping this will protect the wires against a short circuit of the batteries.

Even more important than protecting the wires from a short circuit is protecting the battery itself from a short circuit. Of course, it's not good to vaporize your wires, but it's even worse to explode your battery.

If you follow code, the batteries will be in a box and the battery cables will be in conduit to an electrical panel with appropriate OCP.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Tobit
    Tobit Solar Expert Posts: 41

Damnit, the guy I get my Solarworld 275W panels from has slashed prices again. $1.14/watt delivered to me, I may end up with another one.