How many amps to equalize?

SIXGUNNER452
SIXGUNNER452 Registered Users Posts: 1
I have read almost every "how to" out there how to equalize, I cannot find the specific amps, just the volts. Here is my question....I have a system consisting of the following: 100 watt solar array ( approx 6 amps), Morningstar TS 45A-PWM controller, and two - 6V golf cart batteries (220 amp hours). Is my 100 watt solar array enough to equalize this bank of batteries? Thanks in advance, Randy.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: How many amps to equalize?

Welcome to the forum.

We don't talk about Amps to Equalize because it doesn't need much. Voltage is the thing for EQ.
    The first step to Equalizing is to fully charge the batteries. At that point the current requirements of the batteries will be <3% of the Amp hour capacity. So if your array can put out enough power to recharge the batteries equalization should not be a problem.

Your single 100 Watt panel probably has a current rating (Imp) of 5.7 Amps. That is not enough to recharge 220 Amp hours. You would need a minimum of 11 Amps, and that would be with no loads. 22 Amps is preferable.

If the batteries were fully charged from another source (i.e. generator & 3 stage battery charger) the panel would supply enough current for EQ. But perhaps not enough Voltage if the wiring losses are too high; a 12 Volt system will equalize at 15+ Volts.

BTW you really only need to equalize if the specific gravity of the cells differ by more than 0.010. By all means get a hydrometer and check the SG on every cell.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

Even if you were to get the bulk charge rate to 11 amps, the slow bulk charge would cause a long absorption time, so you may run out of hours.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    jonr wrote: »
    Even if you were to get the bulk charge rate to 11 amps, the slow bulk charge would cause a long absorption time, so you may run out of hours.

Yep. That's why the 10% rate is recommended as a good balance against 25% DOD and a day of charging with at least 4 hours equivalent good sun while moderate concurrent loads are in use.

The 5% rate will work with enough sun hours, shallow DOD, and no concurrent loads. But the OP isn't even at that level with the single panel.