4 x 250 watt panels into 2 x 40 amp controllers producing 5k @ 12 volt system possible?

Options
CreveCoeur
CreveCoeur Registered Users Posts: 7
Need some help please...

4x250 grape solar panels : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-250-Watt-Monocrystalline-Solar-Panel-4-Pack-GS-S-250-Fab5x4/202960000

2 Renogy Tracer 4210 40 Amp MPPT Charge Controller 12/24V
http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Tracer-4210-Charge-Controller/dp/B00E7NI9PE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400841768&sr=8-1&keywords=40+amp+mppt+controller

4 GC-2 golf cart Battery

I am hoping to connect 2 panels to each 40amp controller to hopefully produce 5kw a day in South Miami, fl to run an aquaponic set up.

1) I have combined the MC4 connectors 2into1 and was about to hook into the controller but came across info that max amps through MC4 are 20-30 amps. Is it feasible I could pass 40amps(which I am guessing 2x250@12volt or is it 2x250 watt at 34volt and not changed to 12 volt till after the controller????) I need 12 volt power for pumps & lights not 24volt unless a good possible way exists to make pumps work with 24volt?

2) what type of DC switch should I use and where should it go?

3) I have some 100 & 250 watt fuses, are they best size and where should the go along positive line?

4) I have a 8 foot grounding pole to put in by solar panels. How should I hook it up to the panels; just the mount? Would it be possible to send the negative from each panel to grounding pole and run battery bank to separate grounding pole?

Much Thanks... Solar projects are wearing me down with added complications; I have 36 volt golf cart solar project I found at midway I had to uses 3 12 volt panels instead of one for and 2 battery banks I did that went much smoother except when I arced golf cart battery's trying to hook up in series (they were hooked up right, but under load when attached)

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 4 x 250 watt panels into 2 x 40 amp controllers producing 5k @ 12 volt system possib
    CreveCoeur wrote: »
    Ok so it's Home depot they only give voltage as(not VMP or VOC) as 30.7V, so they may produce 8.15 Amps (250watts/30.7V)
    I'm not familiar with this Charge Controller (CC) but might search here for reviews. Note 40 amps is the max out put.
    1) I have combined the MC4 connectors 2into1 and was about to hook into the controller but came across info that max amps through MC4 are 20-30 amps. Is it feasible I could pass 40amps(which I am guessing 2x250@12volt or is it 2x250 watt at 34volt and not changed to 12 volt till after the controller????) I need 12 volt power for pumps & lights not 24volt unless a good possible way exists to make pumps work with 24volt?
    The amp rating is after the CC, The CC converters the in coming voltage 30.7v into charging current for your batteries.

2) what type of DC switch should I use and where should it go?
    Breaks will add a level of security, might like them on each incoming current from CC, and on each string of batteries, and out going power to loads.

3) I have some 100 & 250 watt fuses, are they best size and where should the go along positive line?
    fuses are rated in amps not watts!

You can find much cheaper sources for solar panels in South Florida! Let Google be your friend...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • CreveCoeur
    Options
    Re: 4 x 250 watt panels into 2 x 40 amp controllers producing 5k @ 12 volt system possib

Thanks for quick response. If I understand correct, 2 panels would send aprox. 18 amps to controller. So the controllers & MC4 connectors I have are appropriate?

Specs say:
    12/24VDC
    rated Charge current: 40A
    rated Discharge Current: 20A
    Max PV Input Power: 100VDC 12V System: 500watt 24V system 1000watt

What is the max input controllers can handle if 40 amp is output?

My mistake on the fuses being amps... is 100 amps fine or 250 amp better?

Is a ground rod recommended?

Thanks again friend
  • Photowhit
    Options
    Thanks for quick response. If I understand correct, 2 panels would send aprox. 18 amps to controller. So the controllers & MC4 connectors I have are appropriate?
    Yes, well 16 and change input.
    Specs say:
    12/24VDC
    rated Charge current: 40A
    rated Discharge Current: 20A
    Max PV Input Power: 100VDC 12V System: 500watt 24V system 1000watt
    I'm not familiar with this controller, most will just waste the extra current(amps), the 100VDC is likely the max VOC (likely not disclosed at Home Depot, typically 20% higher than VMP). Not sure what the discharge current refers to unless it has a load disconnect? A place to hook up your loads and the CC will disconnect the loads if the voltage drops too much.

What is the max input controllers can handle if 40 amp is output?
    see above, you may be limited in the input amps if it can't 'not use' or waste the extra available current.

My mistake on the fuses being amps... is 100 amps fine or 250 amp better?
    Sound like AC rated fuses, you need DC rated fuses, DC requires larger contact surface area.

Is a ground rod recommended?
    Yes, but I'll let others handle those questions, typically ground to one spot to avoid potential problems.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Options

On to your original question; 4 x 250 watt panels into 2 x 40 amp controllers producing 5k @ 12 volt system possible?

Pretty much...no.

Production is relative to; status and time. it won't produce 5Kw since it's only a 1000watt array, over a sunny day it might produce 5 kwh(kilowatt hours) over the course of the day at the panels, but the hourly output will likely be about 75-80% of the panel rating at the panels, you will also loose a small % in the wires and through the charge controller. Wattage produced during the day when the batteries are full will be directly used but storage also looses 15-20%...

If you search for more info on your panels, see if you can find the Normal Operating Cell Temperature values (NOCT), this will be roughly what you can expect on sunny days, or perhaps a tad less in hot Forida.

Check your pumps some may well work, and even be more efficient working at 24volts.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

You are sort of setting up the system backwards... Undefined loads and some (sort of) random system components.

If you have the AC version of your system up and running, and want to design a solar power system to run it... Get a Kill-a-Watt type meter to measure your average Watts and total Watt*Hours per 24 hour day.

For example, knowing your loads... If a 300 Watt 12 volt AC inverter will run your loads, the DC Branch circuit wiring+breaker/fuses to run the inverter would be:
    • 300 watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/10.5 minimum voltage * 1.25 NEC derating = 42 Amp minimum branch circuit

However, if you needed a 1,200 watt minimum AC inverter (typical needed to start/run a full sized refrigerator):
    • 1,200 watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/10.5 minimum voltage * 1.25 NEC derating = 168 Amp minimum branch circuit

But, if you did this on a 24 volt battery bank:
    • 1,200 watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/21.0 minimum voltage * 1.25 NEC derating = 84 Amp minimum branch circuit

Just an example to show that the same size system can use 3 widely varying sized DC inverter circuits. One assumes less than 300 Watt load running 24*7, and another assumes a 100 watt load running 20 minutes out of every hour with >600 VA starting surge.

Second--I am no solar mounting expert--But I fear your pole top solar array is in for some big problems when a hurricane blows through.

The pole looks too "skinny" and the panel mounts themselves will probably twist and rotate in the wind. Pole mounts are, structurally, quite difficult to design and build to withstand 100+ MPH winds.

For example, if you assume 50 lb per sq foot wind/dynamic loading on a 250 Watt panel, that will give you around 894 lbs of loading per panel--or 4 panels at the top of a pole >3,575 lbs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CreveCoeur
    Options

Might have worded a 5KW system not the best way... I just need a little less then 5 total KW a day: 2x70 watt pumps 1x30 watt pump for waterfall and 30 watts for LED lights= 200 watts times 24 hours= 4800 daily watts actually less because LED lights aren't on day, buy may run second 30 watt waterfall pump during that time. everything (Pump/LED/Batteries in series) is 12 VDC

I figured 5 full 1KW daily hours average.

I just want to make sure the controllers are correct to take in 2 panels worth of solar input power

And will automatically adjust for correct input? It seems like I could of uses a smaller 20 or 30 amp controller???

Do I understand that you size controller by output amperage? If I only need 200-250 watts at 12volts a 20 amp controller would work...???

Any help on placement of ground rods would help. Better to have only one rod 40 feet from panel at battery bank or rod at both places?

I will have to take panels down with wind above Tropical storm, most likely. I don't think I could even keep panels on roof or bigger pole in hurricane...

Fuses I will put these in strait from the panel and use as shut off too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036271EC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JV2WX8IXDD3A

Use these with 10? amp fuses to pumps/lights http://www.amazon.com/In-line-ACT-Water-resistant-Fuse-Holder/dp/B0002KR88A/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1400855445&sr=8-9&keywords=DC+fuses
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Might have worded a 5KW system not the best way... I just need a little less then 5 total KW a day: 2x70 watt pumps 1x30 watt pump for waterfall and 30 watts for LED lights= 200 watts times 24 hours= 4800 daily watts actually less because LED lights aren't on day, buy may run second 30 watt waterfall pump during that time. everything (Pump/LED/Batteries in series) is 12 VDC

I figured 5 full 1KW daily hours average.
    For the sake of clarity in the ongoing discussion, the units you are looking at are kilowatt hours.
    Consuming power at the rate of 1kW for a time of one hour is an energy usage of 1kWH.
    A PV system with an output power of 1kW, in an environment where it gets the equivalent of 5 solar hours produces 5kWH each day.

That is how much energy you have available to use, whether in the form of 208 watts constantly for 24 hours or in the form of 5 kilowatts for one hour each day.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Options

It is a rebranded ep-solar tracer 4410 http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/index.php/Product/pro_content/id/444/am_id/136

Their 30A 3215RN has VOC limit of 150V http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/index.php/Product/pro_content/id/158/am_id/136
  • CreveCoeur
    Options
    drraptor wrote: »

Thanks for the extra info! That chart said my controller had a load limit of 20amps and a rated battery current of 40 amps.

so my controllers seem a tad bit over powerful for some small future expansion? It appears I could hook us all 4 panels to one controller if one fails in future?
    Seems like everything is sized up right for this system...?

With some more knowledgeable, than my novice experience, approval I will try to hook it all up this weekend... do I have a go ahead? Just use my one ground rod at the battery bank or put a second in at mount?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

If the array is mounted >10-20 feet from the house, put a ground rod at the base of the array and run 6 AWG wire from the ground rod to the metal mounting (if metal), and to each of the solar panel frames.

That will address static electricity/lightning issues.

The second ground rod would be at the outside wall/foundation of your wall near the DC/AC power panels.

Grounding the DC side of the battery bank is traditionally done with a 6 AWG wire from the "master ground rod" for the home to the negative post of the battery negative bus.

If you have AC in the home and a ground rod, use this as the master ground rod and connect the DC bus ground to the same rod.

What is your house wiring? Utility/Grid? or off Grid?

What is your AC inverter (brand/model)? Typically sine wave off grid inverters can have their white "neutral" grounded to the master ground rod (or common neutral ground)....

However, don't do any AC grounding yet--It is a bit on the complex side and every easy to mess up and let magic smoke out of your inverter or generator if done wrong.

Also, I like to run a 6 awg buried ground wire from the master ground rod out to other ground rods (like at the remote array)--This ties all of the ground rods together so if there is an AC or DC short to ground, it will pop a breaker.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • drraptor
    Options
    Thanks for the extra info! That chart said my controller had a load limit of 20amps and a rated battery current of 40 amps.

so my controllers seem a tad bit over powerful for some small future expansion? It appears I could hook us all 4 panels to one controller if one fails in future?

With some more knowledgeable, than my novice experience, approval I will try to hook it all up this weekend... do I have a go ahead? Just use my one ground rod at the battery bank or put a second in at mount?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7MGoi-k2APIdjJQQUtnV2dYcE9wY2gwYm02Z0p6ZUJVNTFJ/edit?usp=sharing datasheet XX15RN series. Make sure if these numbers are correct or not.
  • CreveCoeur
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    If the array is mounted >10-20 feet from the house, put a ground rod at the base of the array and run 6 AWG wire from the ground rod to the metal mounting (if metal), and to each of the solar panel frames.

That will address static electricity/lightning issues.

The second ground rod would be at the outside wall/foundation of your wall near the DC/AC power panels.

Grounding the DC side of the battery bank is traditionally done with a 6 AWG wire from the "master ground rod" for the home to the negative post of the battery negative bus.

If you have AC in the home and a ground rod, use this as the master ground rod and connect the DC bus ground to the same rod.

What is your house wiring? Utility/Grid? or off Grid?

What is your AC inverter (brand/model)? Typically sine wave off grid inverters can have their white "neutral" grounded to the master ground rod (or common neutral ground)....

However, don't do any AC grounding yet--It is a bit on the complex side and every easy to mess up and let magic smoke out of your inverter or generator if done wrong.

Also, I like to run a 6 awg buried ground wire from the master ground rod out to other ground rods (like at the remote array)--This ties all of the ground rods together so if there is an AC or DC short to ground, it will pop a breaker.

-Bill

Thanks for tip. This is an off grid project (5k gallon pond & 20x40' auquaponic grow bed.) I'll put in a rod for mount.
    My main question was with DC could I run all 4 negatives from panels strait to ground rod instead of fishing through pvc and then run the ground input on the controller to the other rod??? Then I would only have the panel positives that go the 40 feet...? Would that be advantageous or dangerous?
  • CreveCoeur
    Options
    drraptor wrote: »
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7MGoi-k2APIdjJQQUtnV2dYcE9wY2gwYm02Z0p6ZUJVNTFJ/edit?usp=sharing datasheet XX15RN series. Make sure if these numbers are correct or not.

Question about the load output on controller... I may run a bubbler off it so it only runs in when panels are getting sun and more needed at that time. Will the battery output on controller or load output have priority on which gets full output...?

I likely will have extra solar energy for my 4 GC-2 battery (2 in series@12vdc for each controller) Ideally when batteries are fully charged the extra energy that would be wasted to switch into the load and run a bubbler or extra waterfall pump...? Or do the load and battery output both get equal energy?

The manual is sparse on load controller and has me confused. I would think the controller load output only puts out power when there is sunlight... Otherwise why not just run from batteries? But the option in manual seem to say it turns on at night... Dusk to Dawn & even Light on +timer mode all say they turn on after NTTV (Night Time Theshold Voltage) there is only test mode and manual mode as other options? Does it take power from battery bank to run in NTTV? How to run in bright sunlight only?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for tip. This is an off grid project (5k gallon pond & 20x40' auquaponic grow bed.) I'll put in a rod for mount.
    My main question was with DC could I run all 4 negatives from panels strait to ground rod instead of fishing through pvc and then run the ground input on the controller to the other rod??? ..

Only work on a really rainy day. The resistance of "earth" is pretty high, and it does not work well as a "wire" for your batteries. Oh, and you might get a lot of nightcrawlers at one of the terminals. But for power , not a good chance it would work.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• drraptor
    Options
    Question about the load output on controller... I may run a bubbler off it so it only runs in when panels are getting sun and more needed at that time. Will the battery output on controller or load output have priority on which gets full output...?

I likely will have extra solar energy for my 4 GC-2 battery (2 in series@12vdc for each controller) Ideally when batteries are fully charged the extra energy that would be wasted to switch into the load and run a bubbler or extra waterfall pump...? Or do the load and battery output both get equal energy?

The manual is sparse on load controller and has me confused. I would think the controller load output only puts out power when there is sunlight... Otherwise why not just run from batteries? But the option in manual seem to say it turns on at night... Dusk to Dawn & even Light on +timer mode all say they turn on after NTTV (Night Time Theshold Voltage) there is only test mode and manual mode as other options? Does it take power from battery bank to run in NTTV? How to run in bright sunlight only?
    What I have understood, you can select "load work mode" 17, and it will turn on the load in the day. IMHO it doesn't have a load dump mode/ Diversion Mode.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

> Ideally when batteries are fully charged the extra energy that would be wasted to switch into the load and run a bubbler or extra waterfall pump...?

It would be easy enough to create a standalone device that would switch on a load/relay when battery voltage was high (ie, likely that there is excess solar power available). Are there commercial ones available?

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Photowhit
    Options
    So my controllers seem a tad bit over powerful for some small future expansion?
    ? makes no sense. In a 12 volt system the controllers are properly sized to handle 2 of the 250watt panels.
    It appears I could hook us all 4 panels to one controller if one fails in future?
    Only if you plan on switching to a 24 volt system.

What an MPPT controller does is covert the power (watts) generated, in this case 500watts arriving at the controller as 30.7 V at 8.15 Amps(max).

The controller converts this into the proper charging current for your 12 volt system, This will vary, but in the morning and your system is somewhat discharged and is at 12 volts, it takes the in coming 500watts and converts it to (500watts/12V) 40+Amps. This will rarely/never happen, the Controller is only going to be 95-97% efficient so some power will be lost as heat.

More panels will be wasted.
    Components are reasonable, expectations are not possible "producing 5k"

I would!
    It will 'see' the array and battery as one power source. In deed the only reason to attach the load to the controller is if you want the controller to be able to turn off the load to protect your batteries. Most systems would attach directly to the batteries.

As above it will be one power source. Off grid system require having "extra solar energy' some controllers like the Midnite Classics can turn on 'opportunity loads' when batteries are full. If designing a system to run 5Kwh a day, with out any other power source, would require some calculation having to do with how many days the sun doesn't shine or how many days you must run off the battery alone so you can size your battery bank.

How much sun you can expect during different seasons, so you can properly charge the battery bank.

The manual is sparse on load controller and has me confused. I would think the controller load output only puts out power when there is sunlight... Otherwise why not just run from batteries?
    Some do, but more likely it's just to turn off loads to save the batteries. It appears someone looked at the manual though and this may not be correct.

I lost it, but somewhere it appeared you intended to hook up one controller to 2 batteries and the other to 2 batteries. It should be a single battery bank, 2 x 2, 2 in series and 2 parallel hooked up to a single point so that they current all passes through the same length and gauge wire.

I believe you are seriously undersized for what your demands/Loads as you describe them, with out a backup power source. I may have drawn 5 Kwh in my cabin system at times, but this was with most of my loads during the day and during the summer. I had a 1600watt array, I would not be able to do this on a daily basis and at other times of the year.
  • CreveCoeur
    Options

Thanks for the help... I already got over 10K invested in the last year into this sustainable aquaponic project. It's just getting the solar attached and plumbing pumps & siphons now.

Couple more clarifications if you would please.

"Val this charge controller can only handle a maximum of 500w of solar for a 12v battery system, or up to 1000w for a 24v battery system. Since you are planning to use 3 x 250w, you will need to wire those batteries in series for 24v, and get a 24v inverter. If you don't want to go for a 24v battery configuration, and want to stick with 12v, then you will need to drop a panel and just go with 500w, or you will need to use an additional controller (controller 1: 2x250w, controller 2: 1x250w or 2x250w). "

So I never fully understood this, is this correct: My controller can output 40 amps at 12 or 24 VDC. It inputs up to 20 amps at a max 100VDC - But only up to 500 watts if my batteries are at 12 VDC?

1) So it seems I would be best to run 2 panels in series (2x34VDC = less than 8 amps instead of 16amps) to go to controller to lower amps sent 40' through 10 gauge wire??? so I would connect a panels positive to others panels negative and then run the 2 left over pos/neg = series?
    Are there any negatives to reducing currant like that over 40'?

2) The 4 GC-2 batteries would best be hooked up into one 12 VDC bank? Better to hook up Both Controllers the fist pos and last neg to maximize charging of batteries? As opposed to hooking each controller to 2 GC-2 Batteries in 12 VDC; more chance to not maximize charge.

Thanks again
  • Photowhit
    Options
    "Val this charge controller can only handle a maximum of 500w of solar for a 12v battery system, or up to 1000w for a 24v battery system. Since you are planning to use 3 x 250w, you will need to wire those batteries in series for 24v, and get a 24v inverter. If you don't want to go for a 24v battery configuration, and want to stick with 12v, then you will need to drop a panel and just go with 500w, or you will need to use an additional controller (controller 1: 2x250w, controller 2: 1x250w or 2x250w). "

So I never fully understood this, is this correct: My controller can output 40 amps at 12 or 24 VDC. It inputs up to 20 amps at a max 100VDC - But only up to 500 watts if my batteries are at 12 VDC?
    Volts x Amps = Watts
    so; Watts / Volts = Amps (or Watts / Amps =Volts)

500Watts / 12Volts = 40 Amps (actually slightly more)
    1000Watts / 24Volts = 40 Amps (actually slightly more)
    1) So it seems I would be best to run 2 panels in series (2x34VDC = less than 8 amps instead of 16amps) to go to controller to lower amps sent 40' through 10 gauge wire??? so I would connect a panels positive to others panels negative and then run the 2 left over pos/neg = series?
    Yes, this in series '+' to '-' the other '+' and '-" go to the controller.
    Are there any negatives to reducing currant like that over 40'?
    Not really electrically, less heat loss in same gauge wires. NEC requires restricted access to above 30 volts. If the whole area is fenced that might be enough, run in conduit would be fine, no inspection, it will run fine..
    2) The 4 GC-2 batteries would best be hooked up into one 12 VDC bank? Better to hook up Both Controllers the fist pos and last neg to maximize charging of batteries? As opposed to hooking each controller to 2 GC-2 Batteries in 12 VDC; more chance to not maximize charge.
    If the controllers are hooked up to 2 batteries each, you'll have 2 different systems and have to choose which pumps to run off each system, they will rarely be at the same state of charge and just generally a pain IMHO.