Question about Outback FX2012T

Options
Hairfarm
Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
Greetings,

I'm considering the Outback FX2012T inverter/charger for my 12 volt system. The manual states that there should be a 60 amp INPUT breaker. My offgrid cabin used to have a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 inverter/charger which only required a 30 amp INPUT breaker. I used a 5000 watt generator with a 30 amp NEMA L5-30 30A plugged into the generator. My cabin has a marine/RV style NEMA L5-30 recessed male installed on the exterior wall of my cabin. I plug the generator L5-30 female into this recessed male. This in turn was used to feed my previous Prosine 2.0 inverter/gen.

5000 watt generator > 30 amp AC input breaker > Inverter > 30 amp output breaker > AC load panel.

Well, my Prosine took a crap and it's "non-repairable". My only option is to buy another one for $800-$900. It's been a troublesome unit so I'm thinking that its demise might be blessing in disguise and time to upgrade.

Well, the Outback FX2012T that I'm interested in specifies a 60 amp INPUT breaker. But in order for me to install a 60 amp INPUT breaker I'll need to rip out some drywall and swap out the existing 10AWG wire for 6AWG wire because of the higher amperage demand. (The 10 gauge routes from the NEMA L5-30 recessed male in the exterior wall to the interior wall of my utility closet and up to the AC load panel with the inverter installed between the two points.)

My 5000 watt gen will never produce 60 amps. It will only produce 80% of a 30 amp connection. I will never have AC shore power that produces anything close to 60 amps.

Questions:

1) Will the Outback inverter still operate with my current 30 amp INPUT breaker. Since my generator only outputs at 30amps why should I change out the existing 10wire and 30amp breaker for a 60amp breaker with 6AWG wire when I'll never even get close to 60 amp AC input?

2) Why does Outback specify a 60 amp INPUT breaker? Is this meet some code requirement?

3) If I do need to install a 60 amp breaker and 6AWG wire, what type of three prong plug can I use that will still work with my generators 30 amp NEMA L5-30 receptacle? Make sense?

I really don't want to rip out wire.

kind regards,

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Question about Outback FX2012T

They only list the 60 amps because the Outback has a 60 amp transfer relay, it will work fine on a 30 amp breaker as long as the charger and pass through are not more that the 30 amp breaker will allow.

You can set the AC limit on the Inverter to 30 amps and the charger will and reduce it's output if it ever approaches the 30 amp limit. The Prosine was a mobile Inverter and had a 30 amp limit, the Outback T models are house units with 60 amps and the M models are 30 amps because they are for Mobile.
  • Hairfarm
    Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info BC. Is this Outback unit programmable right out of the box or do I need to buy the "optional" Mate to program?

thanks,
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

I believe you pretty much need the Mate because the default Outback inverter configuration is not going to meet "your" needs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

Bill is right, you need a mate to adjust the settings. They are almost a need to have thing, but you can borrow one and change the settings and it can be removed and they will stay in the Inverter till you get one. It will work now on the default settings, but it really limits you. Your manual should have the default settings in the back of the manual.