Battery Acid "Bubbling" Out...

Options
I am using a RV Solar Boost 50 for my panels and an Iota DLS-27-25 charger with a 3500 watt diesel generator to charge my batteries.

I'm getting what seems to me to be excessive acid on top of the batteries. I have to periodically neutralize the batteries in order to keep the copper terminals from being corroded.

I don't recall having this problem with an earlier setup using a Trace C30+ controller and a charger (brand/model forgotten).

Is this normal?

Is there anything that I can do to minimize the problem?

Should I continue neutralizing with a baking soda solution or is there a better way?

thanks,

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery Acid "Bubbling" Out...

without knowing more specific info i will say of my thoughts into your possibilities with the acid showing up on your batteries. the first thought would be overcharging all of them in general. this could be too many amps in at once or the batteries are going beyond 100% charged. now if only some are getting the acid this could be a bad battery in series with a good battery with the good one excessively gassing and for parallel batteries it could be a bad cell or 2 causing the good cells to overcharge within a battery.
    do be sure you have the correct charge settings on the sb50. these are the little switches and internal variable resistors(potentiometers) that control the general functions of the sb50. i would temporarily only use either the iota charger or the sb50 until you know that everything is working as it should. both may be contributing to the overcharge condition if they in combination allow too high of current to pass.
    also keep after the wires and connectors as a bad one could also cause things to go haywire in parallel arrangements.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks Niel,

FYI I'm running a 24 volt system with 12 golf cart batteries in a 3x4 array.

The acid buildup seems to be fairly uniform across the batteries, a bit heavier on the center row as one might expect.

I really don't think that it is an overcharging problem. There's not been much solar lately and I've been running the generator only enough to get me back to a mildly charged condition.

I'll check the settings on the SB50 tomorrow.

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bob,

A couple of things:

Depending on the charge voltage and their temperature, flooded-cell lead-acid batteries will bubble and out-gas when they’re being charged. So, a small amount of battery acid bubbling and spray around the cell caps is normal. However, excessive out-gassing and electrolyte spray on the tops of your batteries suggests the batteries are being overcharged and/or there’s too much electrolyte in the cells. Check your battery manufacturer’s instructions for proper charging and maintenance of your batteries.

For reference here’s a link to Trojan Battery’s maintenance guide: http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance.aspx

Tell us more about your system and settings:

1) What is the make and model of your 6 V batteries?
    2) Where are your batteries stored, and what’s their ambient temperature?
    3) What are the SB50’s absorb- and float voltage settings?
    4) Are you using the remote battery temp sensor (RTS) and temperature compensation with your SB50 and batteries?
    5) Are you using the Dual-Voltage Plug or the IQ Smart Controller with your Iota charger?

More later…
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i have 2 more things to add bob. 1> have you checked your electrolyte levels for if they get too low this could also cause the excessive bubbling? (replace only with distilled water) 2> are you sure none of the baking soda solution got into the cells? baking soda + acid = small volcano of neutralized electrolyte and a mess on top of the batteries. if the baking soda gets into the cells it will ruin those cells. i like to use just water to dampen a rag and go over it several times rinsing it out thoroughly with water inbetween wipings. baking soda works, but it is too risky that some of the solution could get into the cells. you could carefully neutralize the posts and connectors and wipe afterwards with a regular wet rag. protective coatings could be used on the posts and connectors, but i elect to not use any for my batteries.
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bob does the DLS have a smart charger attached or just the jumper plug. Just so everyone knows the Iota DLS chargers put out something like 13.4 with no plug and come with a "quick charge" plug that forces them to 14.4. The optional smart charge controller does a nice bulk and then float at the lower voltage charge.

If you just have the "quick charge" plugged in and left that way you are likely overcharging the batteries with the Iota.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

OK, thanks folks. Let me see what answers I can provide....

BATTERIES
    12 - Trojan 105 "Mileage Masters"
    Always topped up with distilled water.
    They've never been allowed to dry down to the plate tops.
    I fill only to the bottom of the fill well.
    Stored inside. Ambient temps run from 50F to 70 this time of year.
    Not using a battery temp sensor.
    I'm pretty sure no baking soda solution has gotten into the cells.

IOTA Charger
    Fast charge jumper is not plugged in.
    Not aware of an "IQ Smart Controller". If it's separate, I don't have one.

SB50
    I rechecked the switch settings and all seem correct.
    I'm having trouble reading the pot settings. I located my manual and will have a go at figuring them out day after tomorrow (Wed). Now I need to find my magnifying glass. ;o)

Thanks for the help.

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK. It'll also be worth measuring the absorb stage charge voltage at the battary terminals to verify the correct setting.

Good luck!
    Jim / crewzer
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I installed hydrocaps on my Trojans. They have stayed bone dry on the outside and we haven't had to water them since they were installed a year ago. Effective and simple little accessory.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers