Sun Frost Refrigerator

Options
Crystal
Crystal Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
We are looking at getting a Sun Frost RF16 fridge. We have 420 watts of solar and 4 Trojan 150 batteries. At this point we are just getting it set up and have no other loads. Will there be a problem with keeping this fridge running with this small of a setup?
Thank you!

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Sun Frost Refridgerator

We are not big fans of Sunfrost.

For the price, you can get a much more modern off the shelf Energy Star rated standard refrigerator or freezer + more than enough solar panels and the inverter to run it.

Some of the new GE and Whirlpool reefers beat the energy efficiency of Sunfrost at 1/3 the cost.
  • Crystal
    Crystal Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the advice! I will look into other options.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Windsun wrote: »

Some of the new GE and Whirlpool reefers beat the energy efficiency of Sunfrost at 1/3 the cost.

And when it comes to repair or replacement, you won't have to take out a second mortgage. :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Windsun,

What inverters are you recommending these days for off grid refrigerator and some lighting/cell phone charging/laptop computer use?

With an inverter using 20+ watts at idle (more batteries and solar panels), and many frost free fridge/freezers with electronic timers making the use of "search mode" type inverters "impossible" to use without confusing defrost timers--What seems to be a good fit (brand/wattage/features wise)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There comes a point, where the efficiency gained in a search mode type of setup approaches 1 to 2 percent of the overnight Ahr draw of an "always on" system. While it is always good to switch heavy loads to opportunity times when possible, I have found myself asking where that extra .1A is going on a 24V system on a Trimetric, then realizing that if I chased it down, I might have 2Ahr out of an 800 Ahr battery bank overnight.

There seems to be an economy of scale here, and with 18 CF electric refrigerators breaking the 1kwhr/day barrier and costing in the $500-$800 range, I agree with Windsun that it is more cost effective to increase your generation, battery and inverter capacity than to buy a ultra energy efficient refrigerator at this time.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree. I chased the miniscule watt hour savings with Search mode for a year or two. It required running a 12v inverter for the always on loads, so the daily savings amounted to under 50 watt hours. No more search mode.

What\'s the concensus on wear and tear? Will search mode stress/wear electronic components more than always on?

Ralph
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    Will search mode stress/wear electronic components more than always on?

Ralph
    No, and probably not as much. The output components are constantly switching @ 60 Hz when in full operation anyway, but in search mode, they'd only have to do a couple of cycles once every few seconds, and 'rest" in between. Most inverters in search mode appear to only cut the signal to the actual output FETs, leaving most, if not all of the inverter control and timing circuitry up and running. (just like satellite TV receivers when turned "off") The big energy saving with inverters in search mode thus appear to come from not having the actual outputs operating full time, and continuously powering the output transformer for those that have such a transformer.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wayne, I wonder if is possible to power the electronic controls from a smaller 300W inverter and the compressor off the 'Big Daddy"?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    Wayne, I wonder if is possible to power the electronic controls from a smaller 300W inverter and the compressor off the 'Big Daddy"?
    It's probably possible to have the electronics power a relay instead of the compressor, and have the relay connect the compressor to Big Daddy when needed. I'd have to give it a try. Should be able to find the supply wires going to the compressor, cut them and go from there. As long as they don't have the computer monitoring the compressor current, it should work fine. You're fridge will then have two AC plugs. One will connect to the 300 watt inverter, the other will go to Big Daddy :)
    Might also be problems if there is an electric heater in the defrost loop. That would suck :(
    I'm thinking along those lines with my garage door opener. It's the last thing that "needs" grid power, because I'm not willing to have the Xantrex on 24/7. Just haven't got to that project yet, but I will. lol
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It has been my experience that the best energy star performing refrigerators in the 18CF class are still 100% analog units, or at least they were a few years ago.

The electronic units that I have seen often have a main control board with relays for all the sub systems. I imagine it would be very difficult to separate the function of the compressor from the main control board.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    I imagine it would be very difficult to separate the function of the compressor from the main control board.

Depends on the design really. yes, it could be complicated, but then again, if the computer bard doesn't monitor the actual power being consumed by the compressor, it wouldn't see the difference between powering the compressor and powering a relay that would then connect the compressor to a different inverter. It's possible it could be quite straight forward. Would have to be investigated. Of course there goes the warranty, but hey, that would be part of the deal.
  • westbranch
    Options

Today SWMBO hit me up with :

"Well if we need an electric fridge to run off the inverter, we should go for the most energy efficient one. I found Sun Frost. What do you think?"

told her about the new Energuide standards and that we should look at them... target < 1 Kwh per day...

Question: I know this has been covered in many posts, but I was unable to find the links for 'Energy Consumption of todays fridges.... Does anyone have some links?

thanks...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

http://www.energystar.gov/certified-products/detail/refrigerators

I'd also fill unused space with water bottles and use a timer to turn it off for the last n hours of darkness. Maybe 3am to 8am or whatever doesn't cause too much temperature drop.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• westbranch
    Options

thanks Jon, I had seen that one, but was actually after this one, which I stumbled onto which has a much more detailed set of info.
    http://library.cee1.org/content/qualifying-product-lists-residential-refrigerators