Solar Boost 3024i - Marine application

2»

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Boost 3024i - Marine application

Cal,

You're of course correct that using two different shunts could introduce an unknown variable in my otherwise NIST-certified lab -- er, unheated garage. :roll: :wink: The shunts are theoretically calibrated by their manufacturers, so I decided to accept and use them "as is".

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

my idea of placing my panels in series may not be possible, i have just been having another look at the back of my solar panels and i see that on the back is a sticker that says "this panel is designed for charging 12 volt(nominal) battery systems only NO SERIES CONNECTION OF THIS MODULE IS PERMITTED"

my question is is this normal for 12 v pv's? and what reasons would they have for not allowing you to connect panels in series?

i would have thought that for people putting panels on houses it would be relatively normal for panels to be connected in series however i may be INTERPRETING what the sticker says wrong
    sean.

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Sean,

Don't know what to tell you... The manufacturer may not have wanted to spend the money to have the panels certified for series installations typical for battery-less grid-intertied systems. I think the usual cert is for 600 V DC installations.

How you proceed is ultimately your decision. However, I'd be very surprised if you were to experience any problems with configuring your modules into a 24 V array for charging a 12 V battery bank via an appropriate DC-DC step-down controller.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Sean, Crewzer and others

I too have these stickers on the panels, but the installation manual that comes specific to this panel, states that it can be done!!!

I have sent an email to the US manuafacturer to clear it up for us and will advise if there is s response

James

PS Appreciate all the assistance on this topic