speaking of losing a string

I have 2 strings of 10 panels (255 watts each total of 20) wired together and am waiting for inspector to watch me install one more panel. Been 2 weeks and scheduling conflicts. The ends of strings are wired into a combiner, the positives are terminated at each fuse, and the 2 negatives are terminated at a neg bus inside the box. Question: no load is applied to the strings as of yet as they go no where. It is so windy here I cannot cover the panels which are mounted to my east facing roof. Will full sun and no load ruin the panels somehow? I could try to find a black "string condom" to stretch over them that wouldn't blow off until I hook them to the inverter, but I believe they will be ok, I have them grounded to earth. And yes, I am patenting "string condom" New from Ronco, the amazing...... Mike

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: speaking of losing a string
    michaelc wrote: »
    Will full sun and no load ruin the panels somehow? Mike

Not to worry Mike, no harm will come to them from not having an electrical load.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to worry Mike, no harm will come to them from not having an electrical load.

I agree, as long as you don't have cadmium telluride panels. These toxic panels have been used in commercial installations.
    reference: http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1532.msg12973#msg12973

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • michaelc
    michaelc Solar Expert Posts: 36

Thank You wayne from nova scotia! I am excited to be finally turning her on. Little bit of a learning curve but I did it myself and proved you don't have to be a lib to enjoy the benefit of solar. So many neighbors stop by to ask how much?, can I do it?, why? and the panels are barely visible un less you look hard or they reflect sun down in the early morn. I was surprised how easily our permit and inspection process was in hindsight, but I did have some fear from to much posts reading horror stories here, but was not a bad experience at all, well using a manual conduit bender took some embarrassing moments. I'll post up some pics