Newbie wanting to size a panel array and battery bank to charge my electric car, and....

Options
I am looking to stand up an array not on my house and install batteries to provide backup power, and charge my electric car.

This is a stretch for my knowledge base but am a quick learner and find that forums of like minded people who have learned through doing to be one of the best resources anywhere.

With that beings said.... I have found zilch on the net about people who have done this.... but its just math right?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Newbie wanting to size a panel array and battery bank to charge my electric car, and

Welcome to the forum.

A few people here have electric vehicles 'charged from solar'. I put that in quotes because it's not quite as simple as it seems.

For one thing, using panels to charge a battery and then draining that battery to charge your electric vehicle is very inefficient. Charging the car directly from panels is much more efficient, but chances are the car is not at home when those panels are making power, yes?

Therein lies the standard solution: install enough grid-tie PV to offset the charging demands of the car when it is at home. During the day the panels sell power to the grid, and at night the car charges from the grid. In other words the grid is your battery.

Otherwise you end up needing a lot of PV and a big battery because you have to make up for the losses inherent in charging a battery and then using it to charge another battery.
  • PV-2-EV
    PV-2-EV Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Re: Newbie wanting to size a panel array and battery bank to charge my electric car, and

That makes sense!

But I still want to try and use a battery bank for backup, and maybe even being off grid as much as possible?

I live in New England and pay like .172 per kilowatt and we used 605 Kwh last month (29 days)

How much PV would I need to break even charging my car, and keeping a battery bank online for the house that in the end I am only using the grid as a net-0 car charger?
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PV-2-EV wrote: »
    I am looking to stand up an array not on my house and install batteries to provide backup power, and charge my electric car.

I do this. However I do _not_ connect the car's battery (via the DC connector) to the panels, since I am generally not home when there is power available. I use a regular AC charger, then have a 10kW GTI solar system to feed back power to the grid. I produce power during the day and charge late at night. (I get more benefit and the utility likes it that way anyway.)

I also have a completely independent battery based system to provide power when the grid goes out. This is currently not connected to the solar power system, so when the grid goes out I can't generate power. So far this has been a non-issue since we very rarely get blackouts here.
  • bill von novak
    Options
    That makes sense! But I still want to try and use a battery bank for backup, and maybe even being off grid as much as possible? I live in New England and pay like .172 per kilowatt and we used 605 Kwh last month (29 days.)

OK, about 20kwhr a day and your area sees about 3.5 average hours of sun a day. So that's about a 6 kilowatt (AC) system, or about an 8 kilowatt STC DC system. In other words you'd need about 8000 watts of panels.
    How much PV would I need to break even charging my car, and keeping a battery bank online for the house that in the end I am only using the grid as a net-0 car charger?

Depends how much you use the car. Leafs average about 4 miles per kilowatt-hour if driven conservatively.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Seventeen cents per kW hour is really cheap compared to what off-grid power costs. About one fifth as much.

605 kW hours in a month is quite a bit, but not unrealistic. About 20 kW hours per day. In order to produce that with PV you'd need about 7 kW array and 4 hours of good sun (every day). For an example of how it works out try PV Watts with information relevant to your location: http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/pvwatts/

That would be for grid-tie. If you take the same power requirements off-grid it needs to be larger and it becomes much more expensive due to the battery need. For example 20 kW hours per day looks like this:

20,000 Watt hours / 48 Volts = 417 Amp hours used. Multiply by 4 for 25% DOD limit = 1,668 Amp hour 48 Volt battery bank. That is not small or cheap. To recharge it you'd need 166 Amps of current, meaning two charge controllers connected to 10,348 Watts of array. Consider that those panels would be at $1 per Watt if you're lucky: there's $10,000 right there. The two controllers will eat up another $1,200. The huge battery bank about another $6,000. The inverter will need to be a pretty large one too, like a Radian 8kW for another $4,000. Add in the hardware, wiring, and miscellaneous and you are in the $25,000 range. That's enough to buy 147,058 kW hours from your utility, or 20 years worth of power. Trouble is that's about the lifespan of the solar equipment, not including having to replace the batteries two or three times.

Not very economical is it?

Oh tax incentives and such can make it better, but on the whole off-grid power just isn't cheap and doesn't make sense in most places. Grid-tie can be had for a fraction of the cost, but even so against your low utility rate it's pretty expensive.

As for how much you need for charging your car I couldn't say as I don't know what the charging needs of the car are.

BTW one fellow here has done an interesting job of adapting his Prius to power an inverter for power outages: the car operates as an auto-start generator and battery bank to power the inverter which runs the critical loads in time of need.
  • PV-2-EV
    PV-2-EV Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options

The amount our leaf gets driven varies.... we usually drive to our MBTA Station (Alewife) and charge for free since we are already paying for parking.

But weekends and days we don't park there I do plug in and charge. That is reflected in our Decembers 605 Kwh as well. We bought the car last May and are just about to crack 10k miles. Though I will say that I have driven to NYC and back 6 times that accounts for about 2.8k of the miles.

That leaves 7200 miles over almost 11 months.... so approximately 655 miles a month / 3.6 miles per Kwhr = 187 kwhr per month in normal not irritating my wife to death driving.

Charging the car directly on the weekends that are sunny would work as well.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Big plus 1 on the posts above for grid-tie. All the benefits none of the hassle or lost watts from battery charging. Equipment is less and all the watts are accounted for in your electric meter. It may not seem as green but for your wallet is mucho green.

BTW I charge 2 Chevy volts off my Grid-tie system.
  • bill von novak
    Options
    Charging the car directly on the weekends that are sunny would work as well.

DC direct to the Leaf may be a lot more work than you think it will be. Unless you are an electrical engineer/programmer familiar with CAN bus protocols and good with a sniffer, it is not going to be easy to convince the Leaf to close its DC charging contactor so you can use the ChaDeMo connector to charge directly. (And you'll need to design a high voltage DC/DC to deal with the charging profile the battery needs.) I know of one person who has done that successfully, but he's spent years working on EV's.

Again it is a LOT easier to put up 4 kilowatts of PV, get a grid tie inverter, feed it back to the grid, then charge your car off that same 240 volts. You can think of it as direct charging with the grid just "filling in the gaps."
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    DC direct to the Leaf may be a lot more work than you think it will be. Unless you are an electrical engineer/programmer familiar with CAN bus protocols and good with a sniffer, it is not going to be easy to convince the Leaf to close its DC charging contactor so you can use the ChaDeMo connector to charge directly. (And you'll need to design a high voltage DC/DC to deal with the charging profile the battery needs.) I know of one person who has done that successfully, but he's spent years working on EV's.

Again it is a LOT easier to put up 4 kilowatts of PV, get a grid tie inverter, feed it back to the grid, then charge your car off that same 240 volts. You can think of it as direct charging with the grid just "filling in the gaps."

And I'll chime in to say that another advantage to getting a straight grid tied system is that you de-link the size of the PV system from the needs of the EV. You don't need to figure out what energy you need for the car; just build the biggest system you can afford (and you'll be able to afford a much bigger system with batteries out of the picture) and dump what you produce beyond what you use during daylight hours onto the grid. Unless grid outages are common and/or of long duration, an off grid PV system for backup isn't really worth the expense for most folks. Generators are usually much more practical if you must have backup.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options

Most of New England has various solar incentives, which vary state by state, VT and parts of Mass has feed in tariffs where you get paid a premium to sell solar power to the grid and get to buy back the power you need at the normal rate. Thus you get the utility to give you an ongoing subsidy to pay down your solar. I some NH and Mass you can also sell SRECS, not as lucrative but still get a check every quarter to charge your car. If you are in Maine, not so good if CMP gets their way.

Ultimately unless you voluntarily want to spend a major premium to be off grid (closet prepper?) then go net metered. Take the money you save and buy an active tracker, they don't make sense in most spots, but they look real cool, definitely major green cred!