Inverter/charger repair - how to charge batteries in the meantime

Options
carmichael
carmichael Registered Users Posts: 20
Hello,

I am getting my Inverter/Charger repaired. It has been removed from the batteries for 2 weeks - and the batteries were used for a short period of time before removing the inverter. I do have a 12amp/2amp standard charger that I use for car/lawn tractor charging. My bank consists of 4 AGMs.
I dont what them sitting around at 70/80 percent. Can I use my charger to give the bank a shot? If so, any suggestions on method?

thank you

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Inverter/charger repair - how to charge batteries in the meantime

Yes you can use a standard charger to get them above 75% SOC. Do one 12 Volt segment at a time, and watch the Voltage with a DMM as the automotive charger is probably not going to be regulated for AGM's. The current won't be an issue as those batteries can take quite a lot more than flooded cells.

Don't try to go for a full charge because that isn't going to happen. Get the Voltage up to the 14.4 (or recommended maximum) and stop if it tries to go higher than that. Giving them a short charge every week or so should stave off any problems.
  • carmichael
    Options

Wow. Thank you for quick reply.

To confirm, I should disconnect them as they are connected in the bank and charge separately? Also, set the automotive charger to 12amp or 2amp? Lastly, sorry, DMM?

thank you
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

What is the Voltage and Amp*Hour rating of your batteries/battery bank?

DMM = Digital Multi-Meter (i.e., volt+current meter).

If you do not have one and will be working with DC power systems, I would suggest (at a minimum) a DC Current Clamp DMM like this "cheap but good enough" unit from Sears.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

How much 'disconnecting' you have to do depends on the configuration of the battery bank. AGM's can take quite a bit of current, so the 12 Amp setting will probably be fine and in fact may be low if you had two large AGM's in parallel. So the details come down to what batteries you have.
  • carmichael
    Options

Thank you. This is the new guy forum right?

I have four AGMs that are connected positive to positive - negative to negative. Ideally I could leave them all connected and charge from one end of the bank to the other with the charger, but not sure that there is enough juice to charge them correctly. Is it a better idea to disconnect them and charge them one at a time?

Also, by DMM you mean Digital Multi Meter?

thanks
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    carmichael wrote: »
    Thank you. This is the new guy forum right?

I have four AGMs that are connected positive to positive - negative to negative. Ideally I could leave them all connected and charge from one end of the bank to the other with the charger, but not sure that there is enough juice to charge them correctly. Is it a better idea to disconnect them and charge them one at a time?

Yes; disconnect them and charge one at a time. By the way, four batteries in parallel on a 12 Volt system is not a good idea and should be avoided if at all possible. Particularly not if they are 'laddered'. See the wiring methods here: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    Also, by DMM you mean Digital Multi Meter?

thanks

Yes; an absolutely essential tool for any system.
  • carmichael
    Options

Thank you for the information and link. So of the four examples which one do you recommend for 12V with 4 batteries?

I have included a picture of my bank - comment please.
    Attachment not found.
    thanks
    bank.jpg 106.5K
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

For four batteries in parallel the Smart Gauge method that works best (and is easiest to understand) is #3, where each battery has equal-length wiring to common connection point/bus bar.
  • carmichael
    Options

Is this your connection? May I see a picture?

thank you
  • BB.
    Options

In theory, if your positive connection is to the upper right terminal--You are "balanced".

I like #3 too because it is easier to measure the current flow to each parallel battery/string connection with a DC current clamp meter.

In your setup, each connection is the sum of the battery current down stream... Can be done (to make sure each battery is sharing ~1/4 of the current), but it takes a bit of math to make the comparisons. (you are looking for "differnence" between battery strings. A battery taking too much or too little of the current is reason to investigate further for bad cells/bad cable/bad connections).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Is this your connection? May I see a picture?

thank you

I may be an old man, but I'm a smart old man: I have one string @ 24 Volts. :D
  • carmichael
    Options

Yes, upper right of the picture - disconnected from the positive post. I am having great difficulty fixing my inverter. It calls for a certain internal fuse on the F2 board. I ordered it - only to find that is was the wrong physical size. Xantrex told me to get this one, but apparently I have an older model and need to get something else. The real challenge is accessing the F2 board, as it is connected to the F1 board and there is zero room in there to access the fuse and fuse holder. If there are any Heart Interface guys out there that can help me I would very much appreciate it.

Hugh
  • BB.
    Options

We have a fair number or requests about repairing older Xantrex (and others) AC inverters. Here is (or are) some options:
    offgrid me wrote: »
    For anybody that has a problem with an older Trace SW/SW+ or DR-series, contact this guy using his web form on his site:
    http://www.phantompowerservices.com/

He'll get it working again.
    --
    Chris
    I think this is the one
    Ned

-Bill

PS: As of 10/10/2013:
    Below is a list of companies that can repair the old Trace inverters.

I suggest Sunpumps.

INVERTER REPAIR

-Sunpumps (Rod)
    800-370-8115

-Tekris (Brian)
    877-483-5747

-RVMD (Steve)
    520-270-9922

Old black trace inverters
    Craig Wilburn
    425-501-7280

David Lauzon
    President
    Northern Arizona Wind and Sun

Link to post where you may find updates to list:

Where to repair old Trace/Xantrex Inverters...

PPS: 1/5/2013:
    Here are the parts you need, only you know if they are cost effective.

http://inverterservicecenter.com/Inverters/Inverter-Repair-Parts/Xantrex-Repair-Parts/SW-5548

The problem is buying components is you don't know what the problem is and if one thing went bad what else did it take out. You buy it on a one way trip, if it's doesn't work you eat the cost. I'll take a new one with a warranty and sleep better.

-Bill
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, upper right of the picture - disconnected from the positive post. I am having great difficulty fixing my inverter. It calls for a certain internal fuse on the F2 board. I ordered it - only to find that is was the wrong physical size. Xantrex told me to get this one, but apparently I have an older model and need to get something else. The real challenge is accessing the F2 board, as it is connected to the F1 board and there is zero room in there to access the fuse and fuse holder. If there are any Heart Interface guys out there that can help me I would very much appreciate it.

Hugh

And generally speaking, if the fuse on the board blew, then something else is wrong that CAUSED it to blow. So when you put the new fuse in it may just blow right away again. Happened to my neighbor last week when his inverter died. All 6 fuses along one bank of the transformers blew. Nothing else looked blown, replaced the fuses, fired it up and poof, fuses blew again.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html