welding around panels?

Options
davo
davo Registered Users Posts: 21
Hello all,I have a large motorhome with panels riveted to a roofrack which is bolted to the roof,I would like to weld the roofrack in situ, without removing the panels,if I d.c the panels theres no way they could be damaged am I right? Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: welding around panels?

Aside from sparks destroying the coating on the back and front and insulation on the wires you mean?

I'd take them off.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never tried that, let us know the results.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

In general, modern solar panels have >600 VAC isolation between the panel+wiring and earth/safety ground/metal frame ratings.

So--Electricity/sparks (electrical kind of interference) should not hurt anything. But any hot slag will not be good (note the panels are generally covered with safety glass--Any scratch or hot slag can cause them to "shatter" like safety glass).

Heat/welding smoke/Ultraviolet are also possible sources of damage to your array/wiring--But if you can prevent them from getting to the panels/wiring--Should be OK.

Good grounding to whatever is being welded would be a good idea too (don't want welding current flowing through your aluminum panel frames/RV mounts).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Weld splatter will pit the glass.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options

I weld , spot ,Mig,Tig, cold depth source , No stick on the new space cars / trucks loaded with CAN Nodes.
    Always make sure the grounding / return clamp is as close to the area of weld/ penetration , clean all ares of contact. Cover any Glass or exposed splatter zone. You should be good .
    The frames of the solars are not connected to the wiring ..

VT
    I did at one time , weld on R-frames with gas torches , glad were aged and beyond those days.