Meter socket types, 4 jaw, 5 jaw ....

mike95490
mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, so I know they cover single/split and 3 phase systems.

I'm looking for a schematic or convention listing which Jaw is which. I've got a 4 jaw socket, and want to put a meter socket surge suppressor on, which come in different varieties. for some reason, 5 jaw suppressors are $150 less than the 4 jaw.

I'm thinking disconnect #5 lead, and forget it.

Any opinions or thoughts ?

(meter socket suppressors use huge MOV's and are UL listed to 1500A with indicator lights)
Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
|| Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
|| VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Meter socket types, 4 jaw, 5 jaw ....

Hi Mike,

I poked around on the net a bit yesterday, but found nothing comprehensive.

Perhaps the mfg of the suppressors would have a diagram ...

You might try this same post in the installer section, also threre are Fourms for electricians etc. I dunno, but this post has been sitting here, so just a BUMP UP.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • warmsound
    warmsound Registered Users Posts: 2

I purchased one of the 5 jaw models but I haven't installed it yet. It looks like the 5th jaw is for neutral. The instructions for the 4 jaw leviton say to connect the neutral pigtail to the neutral line from your panel. Perhaps I could remove the 5th jaw and make a pigtail to connect to the neutral bus in my panel.
  • warmsound
    warmsound Registered Users Posts: 2

I removed the 5th jaw and attach a pig tail wire which was run to the grounding lug upon installation.

warmsound wrote: »
    I purchased one of the 5 jaw models but I haven't installed it yet. It looks like the 5th jaw is for neutral. The instructions for the 4 jaw leviton say to connect the neutral pigtail to the neutral line from your panel. Perhaps I could remove the 5th jaw and make a pigtail to connect to the neutral bus in my panel.