Tristar TS60 firmware soft update

Just arrived to the Forum........:blush:

We need Help for the Tristar TS - 60
our students tried to update the firmware software for the tristare charge controller TS60 and thy followed steps given in firm documents i.e.:
1- we downloaded the the file TS_Update_v151.zip
2 - connect the TS-60 to a PC through a USB to serial cable
3 - Run the MSLoad.exe
4 - send file TS_BootUpdater_v2.msc to the Tristar ....... done successfully , the green mark shows
5 - trying to send the file TSCONTROL_v15.msc to the tristar following instruction given in the attached file TS.APP.bootloader_update.EN.02.pdf........
But infortunately , it didnt work .............. we kept trying ............... no way to update the firmware software ???????
...... it seams dead

we tried to find solution......... we failed to make it work again .....!!!!!!

Could you please help to solve the Problem

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Tristar TS60 firmware soft update

Sorry to hear about your upgrade problems... First a few questions.

Did you get the correct firmware... There are two TS-60 controllers. One is a PWM and the other is a MPPT type. I would guess the firmware is different between the two models (the two models look very similar).

Is the controller "dead" now (sounds like it)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Moussi
    Moussi Registered Users Posts: 4

first of all ......Thank you
    it is a TS 60 PWM controller and it looks like dead

when it is powred up the light goes green then yellow...... and remains like that
    if I tray to download the program the lights goes OFF

I really disappointed and need help the company did not respond?????
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

What a shame. I've had a TS-60 and now have a TS-MPPT-60, they both worked awesome without ever doing any firmware modifications. Someone else is still using the TS-60 and the TS-MPPT-60 has been going for 5 years now. Never a problem with either. In hindsight, it might be better not to change things if they're working OK. I was never brave enough to try upgrading mine.
  • Moussi
    Moussi Registered Users Posts: 4

Yes..... why change something which works nicely.....
    it is a mistake.............. you know some students want to try every thing...
    and that is the result.............
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Seems that you should be able to upload it with the correct firmware even now.

I would call or email Morningstar and ask them what to do even if it is out of warranty.

They're pretty good people.