Using Deep Cycle Battery as Car Starting Battery

balee123
balee123 Solar Expert Posts: 86 ✭✭
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find the answer.

Can you replace a car starting battery with a deep cycle battery for the purpose of starting a car?

I understand there is a cost difference and that the battery should probably should be oversize a bit to delivery similar CCA.

Are there problems with how a car will recharge the deep cycle versus the starting battery? The car charging system is probably not as good as a 3 stage charge controller.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a deep cycle battery as a car starting battery?

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Using Deep Cycle Battery as Car Starting Battery
    balee123 wrote: »
    I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find the answer.

Can you replace a car starting battery with a deep cycle battery for the purpose of starting a car?

I understand there is a cost difference and that the battery should probably should be oversize a bit to delivery similar CCA.

Are there problems with how a car will recharge the deep cycle versus the starting battery? The car charging system is probably not as good as a 3 stage charge controller.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a deep cycle battery as a car starting battery?
    Why would you want to do that? A car battery is a lot cheaper, isn't it?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

From our host's battery faq:
    Using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery

There is generally no problem with this, providing that allowance is made for the lower cranking amps compared to a similar size starting battery. As a general rule, if you are going to use a true deep cycle battery (such as the Concorde SunXtender) also as a starting battery, it should be oversized about 20% compared to the existing or recommended starting battery group size to get the same cranking amps. That is about the same as replacing a group 24 with a group 31. With modern engines with fuel injection and electronic ignition, it generally takes much less battery power to crank and start them, so raw cranking amps is less important than it used to be. On the other hand, many cars, boats, and RV's are more heavily loaded with power sucking "appliances", such as megawatt stereo systems etc. that are more suited for deep cycle batteries. We have used the Concorde SunXtender AGM batteries in some of our vehicles with no problems.
    It will not hurt a deep cycle battery to be used as a starting battery, but for the same size battery they cannot supply as much cranking amps as a regular starting battery and is usually much more expensive.

Of course, AGM batteries have much better surge current, so they probably do not need to be over-sized.

You may have an issue if you choose to truly deep cycle the battery in normal use... Between the heavier/longer current draw on alternator (alternator/belt/bearing life), more time on charge (perhaps 2-4 hours of charging to fully recharge), the fact that automotive alternators are generally charging at a lower voltage (around 13.8 to 14.2 volts on several vehicles I have measured)--It should not be a problem.

If you do deep cycle, you may want to monitor specific gravity/resting voltage and possibly use an AC battery charger to fully recharge the battery after a deep cycle.

I would avoid equalization. The 15+ volts may damage your electronics (such as car/engine computers even if key off). And, if you disconnect your battery for manual recharge/equalize--Your engine computer will usually lose its emissions parameters--In California, you cannot pass a smog test if some (or all) of the self tests are not "pass" state (which may take 50 to several hundred miles to "pass" in normal driving).

Just paid ~$150 to have the dealer force program to get the "pass" codes on my in-law's 16 year old VW (apparently, some cars "need help" to pass if parameters are lost when battery is disconnected).

Not to scare you--just some of the issues I have seen.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Yes, it will start the car.
    No, you don't want to do this.

For one thing like ggunn said an ordinary automotive battery is cheaper. For another, the deep cycle may not have enough equivalent CCA to work, but that problem would probably only show up under extreme conditions (cold temps, repeated starting attempts).
    Lastly, your suspicions are correct about the charging profile. Typically automotive systems put out a lot of current and quickly bring the system up to 13.8 (temp corrected) and just keep it there. Sort of like going from Bulk straight to Float. There's really no Absorb stage, and the more expensive, less-suitable-for-the-application deep cycle battery will have its life shortened as a result.

But if you need to jump start your Jeep at the cabin to make it back to civilization and buy a new battery it will work.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deep cycle may have some issues, they have a higher self discharge rate, and I think the plates are softer but I've bounce them around in a van for 4-5 months with out a problem. I think they also have slightly lower available amps for cranking (CCA) for their size.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Have had no problems using a Deep Cycle battery as a starting battery in a diesel pickup for years. It lasted about 8 years. However, this is in a fairly mild climate. And seldom asked the vehicle to start at temps below 30 degrees F. This was in a single battery electrical system -- 1989 diesel. Would bet in Northern climes the reduced CCA rating would lead to problems, especially for diesels. YMMV, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I don't think the charge profile is an issue. It's not like you are actually drawing down the battery by using it to start an engine. Even if the starter draws 250a for 10 seconds (and 10 seconds is a LONG time for a starter to be running) you would looking at...lemme see...(ignoring Peukert here)...

250a would be a draw down of 250ah if it ran for an hour...so...
    / 60 = 4.16ah if it ran for a minute, so...
    / 60 = 0.07ah if it ran for one second, so...
    x 10 = 0.7ah if it ran for 10 seconds...

So I suppose we can reasonably round it up (giving a nod to Peukert) and say, "Typically takes less than one amp*hour to start an engine."

Won't take long at 13.8v to replenish that.
  • Cariboocoot

Well, starter motors don't necessarily take even that much current (depending on the exact one; bout 1 HP or 62 Amps @ 12 Volts). And certainly "putting back" the "used" Amp hours isn't an issue (although it takes longer than most people think to recharge a battery after starting, again depending on the system). And there's no need to argue warming up glow plugs on a diesel either, 'cause we're no necessarily starting a diesel.

But none of that changes the manufacturers' recommendations of cycling a deep cycle a few times to reach its maximum capacity and cycling it regularly thereafter, or giving it the Absorb stage or occasionally equalizing it as needed (assuming it isn't sealed). That is to say, the charging profile of a vehicle's system does not match the recommended charging profile for deep cycle batteries.

Or maybe the people that make the deep cycle batteries are all stupid and don't know what they're talking about. :roll:
  • BB.

My point was picking a deep cycle battery for a vehicle seems to indicate that the battery would be deep cycled (powering radios, computer, lighting, tools, etc.). So, the charging profile is important.

If not deep cycling a vehicle battery, then a standard automotive/truck battery would be a better solution (long life, not as expensive, probably uses less water, better cold weather cranking amps, etc.).

-Bill :confused:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

In my case, this DC battery was sitting around, only used on projects of various kinds. The battery in the truck was getting weaker and felt that anyting was better than the one that was there. It is such a PITA to R&R the batt in the truck (all of the many cables connected to the Pos terminal ... and the auxilary stud terminals on the DC batt helped), that once in, it was much better to leave it than to R&R a new batt. This DC battery gave better service than many other car batts in the same vehicle.

Lead-Calcium batts do use less water, but when DC batts are not cycled deeply, they use much less water than when they are cycled. Opinions, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot

I fear the OP has a truck/camper set-up or such like and wants to put in just one battery; a deep cycle to run an inverter from while camping and then start the truck when it's time to go home. If that is the plan, it runs an awful risk of not being able to start the truck when it's time to go home, especially if you're going home because it rained all through vacation and the solar panels weren't any help. In such a case I hope he's got a small gen & battery charger to overcome the obstacles. Were it me, I'd go for the traditional dual battery set-up.

But as I often say, no one has to listen to me or take my advice. It's not my money you're spending. :p
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    That is to say, the charging profile of a vehicle's system does not match the recommended charging profile for deep cycle batteries.

Well, as usual - it depends...

For instance, Optima Commercial Yellow Tops (deep cycle AGM) have different "recommended charging profiles" for the same battery:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/charging.php#yellow2

So, in that case at least, a vehicle charging system *does* meet the recommendations for a deep cycle battery.

Or maybe the people that make the deep cycle batteries are all stupid and don't know what they're talking about. :roll:

Oh, I have no doubt they know what they are talking about. Being a paranoid conspiracy theorist, I may have my doubts about whether they are always telling the truth...but that's another subject.

I do think that they probably sometimes make their recommendations based on practicality. I mean, if the very best charge routine for any particular battery can only be achieved with a lab spec power supply, then are they going to recommend that - or recommend what an easily available 3-stage charger can do "good enough"?
  • LoneHowler
    LoneHowler Registered Users Posts: 2

Terribly sorry for weighing in on an old thread.
    I have been using a deep cycle battery in my SUV for far longer than this thread has been around. I've actually forgot how long I've had it in, but it's longer than the average 5 year lifespan of a car battery. This winter here in Alberta Canada has been beyond cold with temps below -40c for long stretches of time. The battery wasn't the least bit bothered by the arctic chill. I do plan on replacing it soon, and I do plan on getting another deep cycle.
  • BB.

LoneHowler,

Welcome to the forum and, yes, using a deep cycle battery can work very well as a vehicle battery.

Some caveats--In theory you need a 20% larger deep cycle battery vs a standard SLI (starting, lights, ignition) battery because an SLI battery has higher surge current capability (thinner/more plates/plate area for more surface area/starting current).

Also, if you deep cycle a deep cycle battery, automotive alternators are not really good at quickly/full charging a deep cycle battery. They tend to operate around 14.0 to 14.4 volts and a deep cycle battery will generally want ~15.-14.75 volts (or even higher) to fully/quickly recharge if deeply cycled.

-Bill
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

One of the problems I know about from being in 4WD clubs. on some deep cycle batteries the plates inside the batteries can crack and even break off from vibration. A hybrid deep cycle battery can be an excellent choice like the Hawker. as its a "solid" construction, can give batter CCA than many "starter batteries. And can be deep cycled with no ill effects. There are others similar to this.. I think they are better suited to vehicle use than "true" deep cycle batteries.
  • Cariboocoot
    john p wrote: »
    One of the problems I know about from being in 4WD clubs. on some deep cycle batteries the plates inside the batteries can crack and even break off from vibration. A hybrid deep cycle battery can be an excellent choice like the Hawker. as its a "solid" construction, can give batter CCA than many "starter batteries. And can be deep cycled with no ill effects. There are others similar to this.. Ithank they are better suited to vehicle use than "true" deep cycle batteries.

Would the Hawker be one of those with the 'coiled plates'? That's how the Optimas are built.
    One would sure hope the Marine/RV batteries are meant for a bit of vibration!
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    dwh wrote: »
    Well, as usual - it depends...

For instance, Optima Commercial Yellow Tops (deep cycle AGM) have different "recommended charging profiles" for the same battery:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/charging.php#yellow2

So, in that case at least, a vehicle charging system *does* meet the recommendations for a deep cycle battery.

I too, realize this is a dated thread. But, since it is back up at the top...

I used to own a 1990 YJ Jeep. I had it built for off-roading / rock crawling. It could cross a creek over 1 meter deep, and go just about anywhere I wanted to go.

I ran dual Optima Yellow Tops in it. The primary reason I originally installed them, was to run the HS9500i Warn Winch on the front. However, I later added a smaller back-yourself-out-of-the-situation-you-are-in winch on the rear, and other high draw electric devices I had in place - air-compressor, tons of high output lighting on front and rear, an on board welder, etc. I ran a dual battery switch, had all marine grade cable and water proof connectors. I normally ran it on one battery, while charging them independently with a 200 ampere alternator.

Never had an issue with them. Fortunately, I thought far enough in advance to put those dual batteries in the Jeep. On more than one occasion, I drained one battery to the point of having to switch to the other in order to start the Jeep.
    Paul
  • ILFE
    john p wrote: »
    One of the problems I know about from being in 4WD clubs. on some deep cycle batteries the plates inside the batteries can crack and even break off from vibration. A hybrid deep cycle battery can be an excellent choice like the Hawker. as its a "solid" construction, can give batter CCA than many "starter batteries. And can be deep cycled with no ill effects. There are others similar to this.. I think they are better suited to vehicle use than "true" deep cycle batteries.

Optima Yellow Tops are AGM technology. You can install them in any position, even upside down I suppose - if you really wanted to? I hope they are as good (or better) quality today, as they were in the early 2000s. That's the last time I used them.
    Paul
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Cariboocoot. Yes I think it safe to say most batteries marked for RV or Marine would be proofed against vibration... They are not true deep cycle batteries.. its the true deep cycle batteries designed only for stationary use that have little vibration resistance built in.as the manufacturers are not expecting the building to be shaking violently.. And if it is you have bigger problems anyway.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

GC-2 's are deep cycle , Right ? I can't imagine that they don't get beaten around in a Golf Cart. I use them in pairs on many boat engines for duel use ( House / Starting ) . The only issue you run into with a deep cycle is they are self limiting on the amount of current available. A starting battery is designed for high current of short duration. A deep cycle, a lower current release over a long period of time. On a V8 where the amp demand is high ( 300 + amps ) you'll definitely see a lower cranking speed and voltage sag. This can be a double edge sword, once the Voltage sag is lower than 10 V most newer digital ignition systems will not function, but the starter will continue to turn, the end result is that the motor will never start and batteries flattened out from attempt after attempt to start the motor and a burned up starter.

Added:

You can negate the problem by doubling the Cable size and Moving the Ignition to a separate source or on twin engines have the source chis-cross to the other engine so you one set for the starter and the other engines batteries for the ignition. It's a convoluted solution, but it works. If you do it, please leave a notification so the next service person doesn't lose his mind trying to figure it out lol

I once watched the above carried out to the extreme with " My Friend the Mechanic for Free " once the engine won't start it floods, washes the oil off cylinders and enters the crankcase, no compression, so change the plugs, at some point , no it's the ignition, must be a bad distributor, lets change it. No it 's no compression . No, It jumped timing. After a month they ran out of things to try, I changed one wire and fired right up. They could have bought a new engine for what they spent and would have had the same problem, voltage sag.
  • Susido
    Susido Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭

I've used a pair of 12V true deep cycle batteries in an old tractor for the past 3 years with no problems whatsoever. The 12V batteries ended up surplus when I changed over my RE system to 6V and were well used by the time I put them in the tractor. I had no expectation these would work so well in their new application.
    Seasonally off-grid ... 468 Ahrs @ 48V (8 Rolls S-605 6v FLA batteries),  24 x 130watt panels, 6 x 260watt panels, 2 x Midnite Classic 150, Whizbang Jr., Magnum MS4448PAE inverter/charger, 2 x Honda eu2000i generators paralleled.

• LoneHowler
    LoneHowler Registered Users Posts: 2

Thanks for the welcome. I have to admit that some of this is a bit over my head. I may get terms wrong, but I'll explain my reason for the switch. In deep cold like this winter, a vehicles oils are thick. It takes a lot longer for cold engine to turn over, and it takes a lot out of a standard battery.
    I figured a battery that can be drawn on for a longer period as the engine struggles with the thick fluids to turn over, would be better than one giving short outbursts of power, but drains quicker.
    So far it has proven my theory time and again. The headlights do tend to flicker until the battery catches up after a deep cold start, but it isn't for very long.
    Many of my friends car batterys kicked the bucket this winter, I'm glad I made the switch. But I don't know if it would work well with new cars and their computers. My old 94 does have a comp, but it's nothing like the new ones
  • Cariboocoot

And here's me living in a place with -35C Winter temps starting my vehicle with an ordinary automotive battery bought at Wal*Mart. How silly of me not to realize I needed to spend a lot more money on a deep cycle battery whose design is not suited to operating a starter motor.

Hey boys and girls, you do not need a deep cycle to start your car. You just need a good battery. Can you start it with a deep cycle? As I've already said, yes you can.

Now if you try starting your big truck diesel with a SLI (Starting Lighting Ignition) battery meant for an econobox it isn't going to work well. Likewise if you try starting your econobox at -35C with an old battery it isn't going to work well. You can start either with a deep cycle or an SLI providing it has sufficient capacity. That's all there is to it.

The deep cycle will NOT start the vehicle any better than a proper automotive type battery and for most vehicles the deep cycle will not be charged properly by the alternator. Buying a deep cycle for your vehicle is a waste of money. Just get the right battery for the job.

If your engine is struggling to turn over then the battery is inadequate and/or you've got wiring problems. Fix the thing properly and this doesn't happen.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people try to make a piece of equipment do a job it was never designed for, and then complain about how poorly it works in the incorrect application. In this case we have people singing the praises of the wrong battery for the job just because it happens to be able to do it.
  • ILFE
    And here's me living in a place with -35C Winter temps starting my vehicle with an ordinary automotive battery bought at Wal*Mart. How silly of me not to realize I needed to spend a lot more money on a deep cycle battery whose design is not suited to operating a starter motor.

I don't think people are saying you MUST buy a deep cycle to start your car - well, I certainly am not.

But, in my case, for example, do you think two standard (SLI) batteries (in parallel) would have sufficed, to provide the amperes needed for a winch, under load, to pull my Jeep from a mud hole and Lord only knows how far, to get it out of the mess I successfully got it in?

I have to say, I would not want to be in a situation where I had to find out.
    Paul
  • Cariboocoot
    ILFE wrote: »
    I don't think people are saying you MUST buy a deep cycle to start your car - well, I certainly am not.

But, in my case, for example, do you think two standard (SLI) batteries (in parallel) would have sufficed, to provide the amperes needed for a winch, under load, to pull my Jeep from a mud hole and Lord only knows how far, to get it out of the mess I successfully got it in?

I have to say, I would not want to be in a situation where I had to find out.

That is a different application altogether, and one that is suited to deep cycle. They are meant to provide steady-state current draw over a long period of time and then be recharged. Operating a winch continuously for several minutes falls into this category.

Starting a vehicle is a short burst of very high current, and if necessary followed by a rest and another try (although if you're having to do that something is wrong with the engine). Automotive batteries are designed to do just that.

You can see the difference in the ratings: true deep cycle batteries don't have cold cranking Amps associated with them and automotive batteries don't give you Amp hours capacity.

Use the right battery for the job and you not only won't be disappointed you won't waste money.
  • ILFE

Thank you for your reply.
    Paul
  • BB.

AGM also have very good high current surge--So they can be very good for what you are asking for (high starting surges). And for cold temperatures, AGMs can withstand actually freezing without cracking the case (of course, a frozen battery is significantly discharged and not of any use until it thaws--So they still have their limitations).

AGMs just tend to be very expensive too--But if it works for you where others do not--It can be worth it.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Living close to 'Coot and being here for > 40 years now My rule is , when replacing you vehicle battery, purchase the one that will fit the space and give you the highest Ah rating you can buy. When the puck drops you will still be able to start your car at - 40, as long as you have 5W or less oil in it..

Also another rule we used when having to winch is to keep the engine RPMs up so as to get the alternator putting out as much voltage as it can while using the winch... I've been stuck for 5 hrs till a rescue vehicle could get to me, when I thought I could keep winching after the engine died....

In either case there are only so many Amps available from any battery, the more you use them the faster they disappear, if not replaced.

I still rev my quad up if using the winch, I hate to pull start a single lung 500CC with hi compression... my fingers are sore thinking about it.
    hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ILFE
    westbranch wrote: »
    Also another rule we used when having to winch is to keep the engine RPMs up so as to get the alternator putting out as much voltage as it can while using the winch... I've been stuck for 5 hrs till a rescue vehicle could get to me, when I thought I could keep winching after the engine died....

Never had to winch myself out anywhere in a "Canadian Winter". So, it may be different up that way due to extreme cold. But, the auto-electric guys who built my alternators for many years, were gurus.

I don't understand all the mechanics behind alternators - stators, rotors, etc., other than being able to install them. But, they had mine built where it charged one way with low rpm's, and another way while at high rpm's, if that means something to some of you good folks? But, I never had to throttle the engine up while winching myself out.
    Paul
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you had some great equipment.
    Ours was ALL OEM stuff, with the winch added onto a 1/2 ton GMC PU. That's all the boss would buy. At least it was a WARN winch.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ILFE

No doubt. It wasn't a cheap hobby. But, it was fun. The HS9500i was a newly introduced winch at the time I bought it. I didn't know as much about batteries then, as I do now - not that "now" is much more. But, that ol' boy could pull some amperes out of those ol' Yellow Tops.
    Paul